Tank Squadron?

evanger

I have two main battle tanks and one Demolisher variant Leman Russ.

Is it better to run them as a squadron of 3, or as 3 separate units?

I have no other items competing for Heavy Support choices. I assume the freedom of three independent vehicles may be countered by some kind of victory point argument.

Please share your thoughts, fellow commanders.

Squadrons can have their advantages in certain situations, so don't dismiss them entirely. You can move a damaged tank to the rear to help to spread the hull points. Also, when shooting at infantry with blast templates, it can be useful to be able to fire both at the same time, as both shots will hit the full squad, typically resulting in more wounds than if you fired one, removed the casualties, then fired the second.

Also they count as a single kill point, which can help in more competitive games.

Definitely split the demolisher from the two regular Russes though, as they will tend to be hunting different targets.

I did run a squadron of two LRBTs back in 5th (didn't play guard at all in 6th), and it was surprising how it took the tank from "threatening" to "reliably deadly."  But that was because I was running four tanks in three slots, I'd still prefer one tank per slot, the bit about multiple pieplates being applied before any models are removed only really makes sense if you're allowing a save...like shooting a battle cannon at terminators, or shooting into cover.  Also, having two large blasts to fire at the same target increases the chances of getting more hits, but you still gotta roll for scatter, so it's not exactly double the hits...I would only squadron up if you run out of FOC slots...

Archived