Death Korps decisions

Ulrock

I'm debating on playing my death korps models but using the AM rules. How much more competitive is the AM book over the IA:12 Assault Brigade list? I did some list constructing and I can get almost double the infantry, same amount of tanks and a knight at 1850, all that seems like a better deal.

I think it really depends on what you want to do with them.

If you're like me, and you like getting close and personal with the enemy, then I'd say DKoK Asslt. Bde. is the way to go. Having finally played a game using this list, the WS4 and Iron Discipline pays big dividends in this regard, as does Forlorn Hope/Unstoppable Advance. But if you're not maximizing the use of these special rules by playing very aggressively and getting stuck-in, then you're likely better off taking all the extra troops a regular AM army will yield.

Personally I love my Death Korps and will continue to use the Asslt. Bde. list in any setting that allows it.

The big drawback of the DKOK list (that is both a fluff and gameplay drawback to me) is the fact that you can't take combined squad. I am in the process of buying and building a DKOK force, and for that reason only I will probably always play the AM Codex using DKOK models. 

I've been getting destroyed almost every game with my dkok list. That's why I'm thinking the AM would be more competitive especially with the combined squads.

Nico,

What do you usually run with your assault brigade?

Ulrock:

Admittedly, I've only just started to actually use my DKoK, so have only really used one list. You can read the batrep of my most recent battle here: http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/292730-batreps-nicos-treatise-on-bayonet-stabbing-new-report-p1/

I will be doing another battle against the new Orks tomorrow and will do a report on that one as well. On the 26th and 27th of this month, I'll be bringing them to a tournament and will report on the five battles I will have there as well, which should give all of us good data on the DKoK Assault Bridage.

What I've been running is 1x 25-man platoon, 1x grenadiers w/ meltas and heavy flamer in a chimera, hydra, demolisher, 1x 8 Death Riders, deep-striking MT Scions, plus a sizeable Inquisitorial warband in a landraider. So its admittedly not a pure DKoK list but I feel the DKoK elements (~1000 pts out of 1500) pull their weight.

Well, the allies matrix no longer exists.

RAW, as far as I'm concerned, when it says (p. 576 of the iBooks rulebook) that all imperial armies are considered to be "Armies of the Imperium" and the note about "older publications" clearly makes DKoK part of that faction" -- then DKoK are now simply an Army of the Imperium. Moreover, a new edition rule book trumps individual codices I believe. In any event, this interpretation has been adopted by the tournament organizers and by my local gaming community.

Worst case scenario you can just bring more grenadiers who have the same stats aside from +1 WS for 10 points less on a 10-man squad. They can't deep strike though. I took MT scions mostly to keep my list under 1500 since deepstriking allows me to take one fewer chimera.

The assault brigade list is really good, ive used it a few times. My regular opponent doesnt like that my platoons come back. I found the orders and warlord traitsto be a nice touch, while not ground breaking but suited the army well.

Ive used the AM list once and really didnt enjoy it, though the army probably was better in game using the new rules and orders but something just wasnt right so i'll only use my krieg as krieg.

Damn so I could use a imperial knight with the kriegers then. That was the main reason I wanted to switch over to get access to one of those!

After looking back into the rulebook would the Assault Brigade be considered a codex supplement then? If not I'm leaning towards rule wise they are their own distinct seperate guard faction that can't ally with knights.

Yes, I think that the wording in IA12 pretty clearly classifies the Death Korps as a supplement or at least a type of Imperial Guard which would make them an Army of the Imperium (which they clearly are -- I can't imagine any opponent arguing that). So I do think the new edition allies rules trumps. Plus remember that you are now allowed to bring "Come the Apocalypse" as allies anyway, they just aren't as easy to use alongside the rest of your force.

Archived