Imp Fist Test Figure and Lysander Epic Kill:

Prot

I'm contemplating an army of these guys, and did one up to compare to my Dark Angels.

gallery_2760_9530_76685.jpg

As stated in the Dark Angels forum, I have been really impressed with that Tactical Marine box that I've been painting as Imperial Fists (I havent had to buy a new box of marines in years, so I wasn't expecting how nicely the kit was redone.)

I had my first Imperial Fists game yesterday using the Sentinels of Terra book.

I took a list that was a combination of stuff I read on the internet, and stuff that attracted me to do this experiment in the first place. I played against new Orks, did not get first turn, and set up my army and was shocked how fast he was in my face.

The entire game I was shocked how few models I had on the table (I must have honestly reviewed my list 5 times trying to figure out if I was actually plyaing 1850 or 1500 pts.)

I took quite a beating and really thought that my Dark Angels lists might have been better suited for this opponent.... but I wanted to play it out. I had a really tough go of it as the first 2 turns I could not get any Tactical Objectives done (kill a psyker, etc.) and he was getting a few points a turn.

He did do some weird stuff with his Orks, but I managed to hang in there, and had the WEIRDEST turn in close combat with Lysander.... I had a Fail Librarian that could not pass a test if his life depended on it. Get this: Librarian has failed every attempt at psychic powers going in to three (that's 4 failed tests so far). Then against Ork Bikes and a warlord on a bike who is Toughness 6, the Libby gets out a Malediction: Enfeeble.

Lysander is down to his last wound. The Ork Warboss with a power claw has all of his wounds. The Libby passes the Enfeeble test, but blows his own head off in the process, attracting some daemon who apparently goes after crappy librarians.

The Warboss goes down to Toughness 5 for the turn as a result - Lysander (who has been whiffing all game) winds up the Hammer, and slams the Warboss on the side of the face (finally!) smashing him right down into his bike killing him right there for D3 bonus victory points (Lysander's Warlord Trait) getting me a tie game.

We tied, and I couldn't believe I caught up to him. The table was total destruction. I had a bastion, a few Imperial Fists tacticals, the Bastion with Devs, and a Stormtalon. He was down to 2 bikes, and a few kopters. Insane game, but very interesting learning experience for me using units that I wanted to try as a Dark Angel player.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
In hindsight I wanted to test out stuff I was always very curious about using Sentinels of Terra and units I couldn't access as a DA player.
Somethings were definitely not as impressive as I had hoped, and I wonder if it might be worth doing CF's for Pedro and his super scoring Sternguard. The mega bolter drill was fun though. :)

It's a nice yellow to be sure. What's your process? Also, how are your bases done. I'm having issues making mine work for my Templars.

Did you find the close range bolter drill to be useful?

Thank you for the compliment.

med_gallery_2760_732_19664.jpg

gallery_2760_732_45090.jpg

med_gallery_2760_732_6192.jpg

Here are some pictures of my old Templars. As you can see I have stuck to the same basic fundamentals: A medium brown, heavily coating the base (right now that color is Steel Legion brown?) and I dry brush that with bone. I offset those colors with deep grey rocks, often washed in (now it's) Nuln Oil.

The seasons change. Some of my armies have snow, some have grass, but that fundamental brown, drybrushed bone doesn't change. Some armies I go with the black rim, lately I've been in the 'all one colour' kind of mood I guess.

I hope that helps. Good luck to you and your Crusade! ( I miss my templars a lot!!! Above I created Brother Praxus the dread for the Medusa campaign.)

Nice Templars smile.png

As for the Fist, I like it a lot, but the shading kinda varies throughout the model. It's deep brown in some crevices, but very light in others. The mild shading on the shoulder in particular seems out of place with the rest. Seems you missed the soft armor of the right hand wrist, too.

At least now you see the folly in bringing witchkin into your ranks msn-wink.gif

I like the feeling that powerfist templar gives off. He seems..righteous? Anyway, I don't mean to turn this into a templar thread but every time I see models like yours my love-hate relationship for my templars flares up. 

In regards to the Fist, are you priming him a brown and then working up from an iyanden base?

No worries about the topic, if I can help  you I will. Yea, that templar is one of my favorites even though he got a lot of mixed reviews when he came out as a sculpt. Righteous is right. :)

The Imp Fist was primed in a yellow spray that was way too bright. It was recommended by a friend but as I saw it on the model I thought it was horribly bright for my tastes, but at least it made for a decent base to get the end colour how I wanted. It just took a few washes, and some patience with the Iyanden colour. 

If you spend time with your Templars, I think even as a black/white army they can look amazing. Get that Righteous attitude permeating the army and it just builds character. 

Thank you Captain for the compliment.

I have stalled on this project.... I am currently working on my Dark Angels.... besides, I admit I'll probably be using the battle damage route. :)

Seriously this sucks though because I am sure I am going to continue with the Space Marine codex as soon as my DA vow is complete, but I have so much trouble deciding on a chapter it's ridiculous.

I will consider doing an IF wip thread shortly. :)

Archived