Demolishers

Ulrock

Lately I've been doing great work for the emperor with 2 at 1500 but thinking about using 3 instead of a random russ as my 3rd tag along. Is 3. Demolishers too much or would I be better served with 2 then a random russ? I haven't tried a naked russ, only played with vanquishers, executioners and demolishers. I have all 4 models though.

Depends. I swear by two Demolisher cannons in a list and have fielded as many as five! That said, the other Russ do have their place. Exterminators have always pleased me and I own two for that reason. Vanquishers are kinda goofy and fun. What do you find yourself needing more of? Anti-infantry? Stick in the Executioner. Anti-tank at range? Vanquisher. In the middle? Third Demolisher.

Go forth and smite.

Newb to Guard and haven't collected (way too much other stuff to put together first) but.............In my humble opinion Two Demolishers should cover you. Maybe an eradicator for the Ignores Cover? It depends on what you are playing against but pretty much any xenos or fellow guard should really really hate a Large Blast Str 6 and AP4 shouldn't matter much against them. Plus the ranges are pretty similar if you want to run them together. Demolisher to absolutely kill and a Eradicator to lay the extra wounds on in case they get lucky with any Demolisher saves.

I think an exterminator in pairs with Heavy Bolters all around would probably wreck just about any infantry pretty hard. It would also be a great anti Transport if you are low or lack heavy weapons.

DoC

Personally I love the Eradicator with Sponson Heavy Bolters. Weighs in at about 140pts IIRC, and eats Xeno squads for breakfast. It's paid for itself on the first volley for me, personally.

My main problem with Demolishers is the bloody Ordnance rule, but oh well, you can't have everything.

That's my problem with the Demolisher as well. Ordinance and One Weapon Destroyed later and you have a problem. This of course is with all Russ' but the Demolisher really seems like it for me. Plus the range issue. Now I could really see a Squadron of 3, 1 Demolisher and 2 Eradicators that should eliminate anything in the game twice over I would expect............well maybe not other armor but still.

Ulrock, have you tried using to regular MBT's? I've heard (once again haven't tried it) but have seen in a few games and heard that a pair of Stock Russ' do much better as it usually adds enough extra wounds that cover saves and possible 2+ have a hard time. Added to this you get the Ordinance 2d6 pick highest (on side armor right?) you should be able to kill tanks fairly well. Plus the nice 72" range and you really don't need a Basilisk as you have pretty much the board covered and if you don't have a target turn 1 then nothing would shoot at it anyway.

I just see a regular Russ as more useful unless you have a lot of your army pressing forward then the Demolishers serve Dual purpose of shielding other Tanks/Infantry and having the big giant "shoot me" sign of doom. Regular Russ seems to be our swiss army knife. It wont kill the deathstars outright but man you can use it on everything. Necrons hate it and two of them should reliably wipe a squad and prevent Reanimation. Space Marines are afeared of the AP3 and a few games I'm sure you will get a shot or two at an open target no cover. Xenos and guard............well I'd just about cry if my blob got one or two good pie plates from a Russ. There's a hundred or two points down the tubes. The Demolisher does this but doing it from across the board seems like a better plan to me.

DoC

Two Demolishers is enough, same as two of pretty much any other tank. Use that third Heavy Support slot for something different in this case. As for the standard Russ, it's a good generalist but is better in number so you want a couple of them to get the most from them.

What russ variant would best support 2 demolisherS? My list is mostly mechanized and adding a imperial knight soon also. But I'll still have points for 1 extra leman russ and that's why I thought an additional demo would be good.

No, ordnance does not resolve against side armor...barrage does.

You really never need more than two of anything (other than super-scorers). The added value of a third one is WAAAAY lower than the second one. I would say do something else with the slot and the points. Erradicator(s), hydras, wyverns...all of those will add more to your list than more redundancy.

Are wyverns that awesome? I've been playing straight dkok but debating on going vanilla. Would a vanquished or eradicator better compliment 2 demolishers and a knight? The eradicated ignores cover so I'm tempted to go for that or would 2 Griffin mortars with carcass shells be better than 1 tank?

I love my griffons, but they're not in the main codex any more, you gotta have the FW book on hand to field them.  They're roughly similar to wyverns in performance, a little behind on number of kills per point against tightly packed light infantry, but more consistent performance against properly dispersed light infantry, and with the bonus of S6 against side armor if they happen to hit a vehicle...

It makes me sad to be reminded of how GW cruelly removed Griffons :( A couple of Wyverns are cheap and will murder infantry, as the Demolishers are better used against harder targets taking something to squish light ones is a good idea. The Eradicator would be good if you wanted to add more heavier armour, I can't recommend it enough for turning all but heavy infantry into vapour.

Archived