Painting StormClaw - Wolf Guard Squad Finished

Rob451

Having acquired the Space Wolves from Stormclaw for a stupidly low price I decided to paint up a small force based on the forces in the box.

I've bought a box of Thunderwolves to accompany the Stormclaw box and will be rounding the force out with a couple of vehicles later on (probably not dedicated transports so I can keep the benefits of the formation).

Today I worked on a spare tac marine I had to try out my intended colours and technique (I know he isn't very well cleaned he's just a test mini after all).

testfigure.jpg

The process I used was:

1. Prime Black
  2. Base with The Fang (Airbrush)
  3. HIghlight Armour Russ Grey (Airbrush)
  4. Edge Highlight Armour Fenrisian Grey (Standard Brush)
  5. Base Shoulder Trim and Aquilla with Vallejo Old Gold (Standard Brush)
  6. Paint "Black" areas with Eshin Grey (Standard Brush)
  7. Gloss Coat (Airbrush)
  8. Black Oil Wash
  9. Wait 1 hour to dry
  10. Wipe off excess with cloth/cottonbuds
  11. Satin Coat (Airbrush)
  12. Paint Lenses with White Scar (Standard Brush)
  13. Wash Gold details with Druuchi Violet
  14. Paint Lenses with Bloodletter Glaze
  15. Drybrush Gold details/Trim Edges with Griffon Gold (Small Drybrush)
  16. Wash Lenses with Carrbourg Crimson

He's not bad for tabletop quality and the whole process is fairly fast. He feels like he's missing something though. He doesn't have much depth to him and is a bit too clinical. I'm not sure if that's a result of the model or the paintjob as the Space Wolves themselves have far more going on in their armour.

Nice paint job

I´m afraid but I think I spot a mould line on the side of the helmet

maybe you could get rid of the clinical aspect by painting the shoulder pads to a specific company using other colors like red or black  

Nice paint job

I´m afraid but I think I spot a mould line on the side of the helmet

maybe you could get rid of the clinical aspect by painting the shoulder pads to a specific company using other colors like red or black  

I know about the mould line. It's just a test fig that won't be in the army so I'm not bothered about it. The rest of the army is cleaned much better.

I'm going to paint up the Blood Claw pack first I think and see how the scheme pans out on some actual Space Wolf models. Hopefully the added detail will alleviate my issues.

Couldn't sleep last night so started painting up Krom.

krom.jpg

TBH I'm not happy with him. I ran into lots of problems because I assembled him before painting. He should be a much easier model to paint when painted in his component parts.

I'll be throwing this chap up on eBay early I think in the hopes of being able to fund a replacement for him and have another try.

krom.jpg

TBH I'm not happy with him. I ran into lots of problems because I assembled him before painting. He should be a much easier model to paint when painted in his component parts.

I'll be throwing this chap up on eBay early I think in the hopes of being able to fund a replacement for him and have another try.

Why don't you strip the paint? Wouldn't It be easier? It doesn't look bad tbh but I agree that It could be much better.

krom.jpg

Why don't you strip the paint? Wouldn't It be easier? It doesn't look bad tbh but I agree that It could be much better.

I don't think the figure wouldn't survive. It's quite a fragile model and I'd rather paint one before assembly than go through painting an assembled one again.

Wow.  If that's disappointing, I'd love to see what you consider "properly done!"  Love the definition of the bone and the blending job on the cape!

How do you get such clean results with the black wash on the tac marine?  My models always wind up looking to me like they're blotched and dirty.  Am I applying too much of the stuff?  Should I thin it down?

I concur. He doesn´t look bad at all but rather good

Maybe you should give it a rest. 

Paint other models and get back to this one. 

Sometimes when I do something in an urge or a rush (you painted if in a night) I too seem to be unable to be satisfied.

So other time it is just fixing or finishing a tiny detail that finishes the model at last for me.

If you show us bigger pictures maybe we would be able to help.

Maybe you´re too perfectionist too ;) 

Thanks for the kind words guy. I might be a little bit of a perfectionist but it's only because I know I can do better if I try.

Here is the replacement Krom model I painted yesterday. I think he may be the best Infantry model I've ever painted. The last one is on it's way to a new home in Italy.

KromBetter.jpg

Archived