World Eaters 2500

bjoluemblem

Hey guys, I'm starting up a World Eaters 30k army, and I thought I'd post the list that I'm building towards. As this is a pricey adventure, any help to streamline/add on to the list would be very helpful. Thanks in advance!

HQ

Khârn w/Gorechild

Chaplain

TROOPS

Tactical Squad x20

Apothecary, Vexilla, Nuncio-vox

Tactical Squad x20

Apothecary, Vexilla, Nuncio-vox

Tactical Support Squad x5

Melta guns, rhino

ELITE

Mortis Contemptor with Kheres Assault Cannons

Mortis Contemptor with Kheres Assault Cannons

Red Butchers x10

Power Axes

Spartan Assault Tank w/Armoured Ceramite, Flare Shield, Dozer Blade

HEAVY

Sicaran Tank

Lascannons, Armoured Ceramite

Any thoughts?

Melta guns. With armored Ceramite being available to nearly any vehicle worth melta-ing, they're just not worth taking. The loss of the extra d6 for pen. just makes it hard to justify having them. However, Melta Bombs are still as effective as ever because of armorbane, among other things.

If you absolutely want a Tac Support Squad, think about Volkite weapons as they are devastating to any non-terminator infantry - barring godly rolls that let you take em out too.

Alternatively, you could just remove the Tac Support and give your Tactical Squads Extra CCW / Chain Axes to make it more fluffy while still being able to Fury Of The Legion squads off the board.

With the remaining points, I'd give the Sarge and Apothecaries Artificer Armor and either a Power Weapon or Power Fits (sgt only) to make them more durable.

Also, as an aside, Apothecarion Detachments take up an Elite slot, just so you know.

Other than that, The Contemptors, Sicarian and even the Spartan cover your bases for anti-armor and anti-flyer.So solid list for the most part. 

This looks like you're pulling off the old Black Templars strategy, using assault defensively while pinning down the opponent, and it's a good strategy.

I agree with Slipstreams, melta guns are not worth taking in 30K since the majority of vehicles are immune to them, overall I think I'd leave them out of a list like this entirely because you do not want just one Rhino on the field, if you have only one Rhino everything S7 and lower is going to blow it off the table on turn 1 and leave your 5 man squad to footslog it, and they're also the only squad that you'd really want to put Khârn in, since he's only really good in Close Combat and every opponent would just avoid him outright if he has to footslog it, not to mention the two tactical squads you don't want near the enemy, and there's no room in the Red Butchers.

'm not even sure he's a good fit for this list at his points cost, you might be better off with a master of signal or even two masters of signal to boost your shooting abilities and use their bombardment rules (also Fury of the Legion even at max range with BS5 is nasty).

Apothecaries take up an Elites slot, but you have enough slots to cover them so you don't have to worry about shuffling them around.

Other than the support squad and Khârn it looks good to me.

Awesome, thanks for the heads up. You're right, apothecaries are elite, Army Builder has them listed as upgrades, derp derp. Dropped a Mortis and the tac support squad. The Mortis' are single entries, so I'll go find my book to see if I can squeeze one more in somewhere. So, CCWs on the tacticals, arty armor/fists on the sarges, arty armor/power weapons on the apothecaries. Melta bombs for the sarges and the chappy as well. As to the butchers/spartan, pretty sure the capacity is 25, so Khârn (fluff for the fluff god!) and the chappy + butchers = 22 model count, so I should be ok. If there is a max of 3 elites (I play 40k regularly, I've only read the books for 30k, so I'm not up to speed on the force org), I'll have 180 points left over. I may flirt with dropping the lascannons off the Sicaran to pick up a fire raptor or something.

Unlike 40K, Horus Heresy armies have 4 Elites slots, and Apothecaries can be bought up to 3 models and stay as one slot, so you're just fine with your elites, unless you want to add another elite squad.

I still think you really don't need Khârn, if you have Blood Madness you're going to get 51 S+1 AP2 attacks on the charge, before Khârn, I'd like to know what squad could possibly survive that, even the lesser primarchs would be wrecked by it, the only thing I can really think of is a full unit of Deathshroud Terminators with Endurance on them, and even then there's going to be so little left alive that whoever you're fighting is not going to win combat, Khârn's just not going to help the Red Butchers all that much, he's much more suited to everything else and especially Rampagers (you should stick with the Red butchers though with this setup).

I guess if you don't have blood madness then he's worth staying with the Red Butchers, though you're still getting 41 S+1 AP2 attacks on the charge, so I think my above reasons still apply, he's just slightly more useful then.

If you want solid AT, trade out for some Rapier carriages as they have a fantastic weapon to penetrate armor with due to ordinance, twin linked, and AP1. Not to mention their survivability with T7.

If I were to run a WE list again, I'd take some veterans as they can do a number on any squad by using outflank. They get their rage bonus, and if you take Berzerker charge RoW, you get hatred in the enemies deployment zone (which you should have anyway with outflank). They can easily mince a backfield unit to gain Furious Charge, and will tend to cause "Oh crap" moments from your opponent.

If you still want meltas you can pop two in that squad to slag things that usually show up in HH list but don't have armored ceramite like contemptors, javelins, artillery tanks, and enemy soldiers :D

If you have Khârn, I'd advise taking alpha strike units too to utilize his special rules.

Archived