Your Wolf Lord

Here's my Wolf Lord with a few changes as a character:

Wolf Lord Silvar Stormblade, Jarl of the Storm Wolves, the Whirlwind's Edge, the Undaunted Blade, the Cry of the Storm, Master of the Lost

Few can know the strength of will it takes to stare into the abyss and draw back, Wolf Lord Silvar Stormblade is one of them. Lost in the warp for nearly three centuries the Stormblade Great Company emerged from the warp to find themselves long replaced. Rather than despair Lord Silvar squared his shoulders and determined to carry on regardless, he will do whatever it takes to return his warriors to Fenris and regain their place in the ranks of the chapter. In battle Jarl Silvar is a stern and indomitable foe, armed and armored in the best wargear the chapter and the Imperium can provide. Countless foes have fallen to his blade and he is even ranked among the few rare warriors who have crossed blades with Abaddon the Despoiler and lived to tell the tale.

WS BS S T W I A LD SV - 255 Points

6     5  4 4  3 5 4 10 2+/3++

Composition:

1 (Unique)

Unit Type:

Infantry (Character)

Wargear:

Terminator Armor

Storm Shield

Wolf Tooth Necklace

Wolf Tail Talisman

Saga of the Bear

Special Rules:

And They Shall Know No Fear

Independent Character

Acute Senses

Counter-Attack

Chapter Relic:

Tyrfing, the Winter's Edge

-Taking it's name from a legendary blade of Fenresian myth, Tyrfing was crafted during the First Great Hunt by the Artificer Kraki Ironforge. The venerable Iron Priest had served during the battle recorded in Chapter legend as the Night of the Wolf, where Leman Russ crossed blades with Angron of the World Eaters. In that battle the blade Krakenmaw, the mighty frost sword of Leman Russ, was shattered. Kraki Ironforge salvaged the blade and kept the kraken fangs for years before he crafted them into a fresh sword, the dread blade he named Tyrfing. In form Tyrfing more closely resembles a Nostroman chainglaive or Chogoran dadao than a traditional Fenresian sword, this unusual design grants the blade a fearsome edge capable of carving through the most redoubt of battleplate with horrifying ease. Since it's forging the weapon has served seventeen heroes and lords of the Chapter, the last of which was Wolf Lord Rydel the Bear in 218.M41.

Range  S   AP Type

-       +2    3     Melee, Master-Crafted, Two-Handed, Rending

Ultimately I find there's no need to get overly complicated with a character, lots of special relics and rules are difficult to balance properly and it's very easy to go overboard making the character super-duper special. So here the only changes I made to his rules and equipment was the single relic Tyrfing. I added Master-Crafted for 15 points and combined the stats of a Frost Sword and a Nostroman Chainglaive and combined their points accordingly. The chainglaive gives +1 strength, two-handed and rending, the Frost Sword gives another +1 for a +2 strength total and both it and the Frost Sword have AP3, I generally like AP2 weapons but I didn't want to modify the weapon any more and Rending is a sufficient trade-off I think.

So there it is, I might start using those rules in friendly games...

Here's a shot of Jarl Silvar and his Wolf Guard:

http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m307/Vash113/Space%20Wolves/022_zps6b826f39.jpg

rather good but you over priced him dude i'd be putting him at no more the 175 points....

heres why using 7th ed codex rumours:

take krom

add the wolf guard thunder hammer + storm shield option for 15 points.

change the thunder hammer with str x2 ap 2 concussion, unwieldy to your relic weapon  as Str is worse, ap is worse, no unwieldy is better, master crafted is better and swap concussion for rend so overall a thunder hammer and this relic are on the same playing field.  0 points.

swap furious charge and stubborn for the eternal warrior and add 10 points.

add terminator armour for 15 points.

add wolf tooth necklace and wolf tail talisman and remove master crafted frost axe. 0 points.

Aso since special character usually bring something to the table and given that from his fluff he is a 13th company lord, maybe give him a universal rule that does the following and increase his cost by 50 points:

A force that includes Silvar Stormblade

• may not take any blood claws, grey hunters, vehicles or wolf guard in TDA squads.
  • may take units of grey slayers, these are wolf guard in power armour units that are troops, but must equip them with bolters or special weapons.
  • may also take wolf guard as storm claw bikers, a fast attack choice paying an extra 8 points per model to equip a bike
  • 1 unit of wolf guard taken as elites may be designated wulfen, and must have every member take mark of the wulfen, ignoring the limitations for that upgrade, no other upgrades may be taken.
  • All wolf guard also get the rage universal rule.
  • All units in the army have the scout special rule.
  • All units in the army may also take deep strike rule for +30 points per unit. representing travel through the warp.
  • All indépendant characters have rage, deep strike and fearless, but cost an extra 30 points.

rather good but you over priced him dude i'd be putting him at no more the 175 points....

Aso since special character usually bring something to the table and given that from his fluff he is a 13th company lord, maybe give him a universal rule that does the following and increase his cost by 50 points:

That's premature IMO, I can always change his cost when the new codex comes out. Otherwise it's just all total conjecture.

And not all special characters bring unusual rules, and when they do those rules tend to be quite minimal. What you suggest would just make the character so much more convoluted and also not at all in keeping with the fluff. He's not a Horus Heresy 13th Company lord, the Stormblade Great Company has Blood Claws, and Grey Hunters, and Terminators, vehicles and flyers. It's a standard company that just happens to currently stand as a Lost Company, why would it have Grey Slayers?

That's premature IMO, I can always change his cost when the new codex comes out. Otherwise it's just all total conjecture.

And not all special characters bring unusual rules, and when they do those rules tend to be quite minimal. What you suggest would just make the character so much more convoluted and also not at all in keeping with the fluff. He's not a Horus Heresy 13th Company lord, the Stormblade Great Company has Blood Claws, and Grey Hunters, and Terminators, vehicles and flyers. It's a standard company that just happens to currently stand as a Lost Company, why would it have Grey Slayers?

ah i thought you were implying that he's a 13th company lord, no worries.

And if you want to leave the points and change it when the new codex comes out that's not a problem.

I had just assumed when i said pretend that your gw designer people would use krom as a basis for the direction gw is going with our characters rather then want to pretend they are a designer of an older edition but like i said i see no problem with it ;)

Here is my 'Wolf' Lord. I used the current wolf priest as a base for this character.

Jarl Hrosskul, The white wolf who stalks, Priest Lord of the Knights of the Emerald Drake. Points: 250

WS  BS  S   T   W    I   A    Ld  Sv
5     4     4    4   3    5   3    10  2+/4++

Wargear:

• Hragaetan
  • Forasól
  • Orendai    
  • Frag and krak grenades
  • Wolf Amulet
  • Fang of Morkai
  • Meltabomb
  • Wolftooth necklace

Special rules:

• Acute Senses
  • And they shall know no fear
  • Counter attack
  • Fearless (Fang of Morkai)
  • Oath of war
  • Independent character
  • Infiltrate
  • Move through cover
  • Shadow hunt

*Hragaetan: This ancient set of MK.6 armour was gifted to Hrosskul by the Shadow captain of the 6th company Raven Guard during a [entry classified] campaign in the eastern fringe of the galaxy. This was done in recognition of the Priest's hunting skills that were said to rival that of any Shadow Captain. It contains a powerful field generator that obscures the wearer and his direct comrades from view.

Hragaetan is a set of artificer armour that also grants the shrouded special rule.

*Forasól: In M39, a supply fleet was set upon by an unnamed foe in a secondary trade route. By fortune, the great company that Hrosskul was attached to at the time was in a nearby system having just completed their task. During the grueling conflict, a warrior of the Night Lord Traitor legion engaged Hrosskul in close-combat. After besting his foe, the priest took up the Night Lord's Plasma pistol to replace his own ruined side arm. Later on, the weapon was blessed and purified of the traitorous taint; Serving him well ever since.

Forasól is a plasma pistol. In addition, after a unit containing Hrosskul has declared a charge, both his own unit and all units attempting to overwatch must take a blind test.

Orendai: This power maul was once Hrosskul's badge of office during his time as a Wolf Priest. Following his ascension to the rank of Priest Lord, the weapon and it's Master could not be parted. Thus it was so that modifications were made that increased the lethality of this weapon, to better lead and inspire his company to greater feats of valor.

S  Ap  Special rules
+2  3  Melee, Concussive

Shadow hunt: During deployment, Hrosskul may only join Grey Hunter Packs, Blood Claw Packs, Wolf Scout Packs, Fenrisian Wolf packs. He may not enter transports.

Here's my Wolf Lord -

Ragnar Blackmane

Exactly as he is in the 5e codex, with the following exceptions:

• Runic Armour
  • Master-crafted Bolt Pistol
  • Frostfang*

Frostfang is a Relic of the Fang with the following profile,

Range S   AP     Type

-     +1    3       Melee, Master-Crafted, Rending

Here's my Wolf Lord -

Ragnar Blackmane

Exactly as he is in the 5e codex, with the following exceptions:

• Runic Armour
  • Master-crafted Bolt Pistol
  • Frostfang*

Frostfang is a Relic of the Fang with the following profile,

Range S AP Type

- +1 3 Melee, Master-Crafted, Rending

Isn't this his 3rd edition load out with Runic Armour added?

Archived