Wyrdvane Psykers

Anyone use these? Was wondering if they are any good.

From a fluff point of view, I was thinking it would be cool to have a single psyker and a group of slaves/captured imperial guard that act as his sacrifices or conduits to use Daemonic powers (maybe daemon summoning). Obviously the whole unit casts in game terms but this can easily be represented by the rules still with the prisoners taking the perils results etc.

I guess my question is though, even though I like the idea/fluff, are primaris Psykers infinitely better or would there be a place for this unit in a battle beyond being a cool idea?

I you have the points they could be seen as a multi wound psyker especially led by a priest as then you wouldn't suffer from morale etc. You could hide all tye unit bar one model from line of sight and get the power off.

Only problem being limited powers from in transports and only being level 1 psyker.

Worth proxying possibly.

I'm still upset we lost the PBS :( The new PBS is nothing special which is pretty unexciting but they have lots of fluff potential as long as you don't expect anything amazing.

If one day you hear about someone waving a sword from a tank's cupola in Nottingham making demands of a miniatures company come and say hello :lol:

Thanks Scatmandoo :)

Same here really, I started my traitor guard before the new edition and really liked the look of the unit. That was where the fluff idea came from too. The overseer would be the psyker and the Psykers the slaves that he kills as 'sacrifices' on a miscast.

The new wyrdvanes are different though, can still adapt for the fluff, or make up some that is more appropriate for the unit but it doesn't seem as good now unfortunately. Maybe worth a proxy like Scatmandoo suggested first but I don't know if I'm expecting much. Would be a nice modelling opportunity though.

Haha ;)

I'll throw in another vote for 'good modelling opportunity'. I thoroughly enjoyed making mine, but have yet to field them (or play any game in over a year...).

If you have the funds, and don't make everything for the purpose of 'killer lists', then I'd say go for it.

Thanks Kier,

To be honest, my collection and armies are almost exclusively made up of fluff and 'cool' choices. I don't even really mind if they will do good or not, it would just be nice if they were not awful (not saying they are, I just hope they don't turn out to play that badly so they are at least useable) so could use them more.

Tabletop wise:

A squad of 5 Wyrd Psykers is the same cost as 1 Librarian.They both give 1 Warp Charge. The Librarian is more capable and tougher but there is one advantage to using the Wyrd. You can roll a whole bunch of dice to cast something from Daemonology without worrying too much about Perils. Unless you are really unlucky (fail, and then roll a 1, and then fail Leadership), you might just lose 1 of the 5. Think of them as a 5 Wound Librarian that doesn't shoot or close combat as well.

In short, they can Summon Daemons better. Not bad for Renegade Guard.

Though you still need more than 1 squad for more Warp Charges to be successful.

I'd use GW WFB Flagellants to count as Psykers since you can get like 10 of them for $29US and they come with scrolls, torches, etc.

Archived