Starting off with World Eaters

MakoBoy88

So i have decided that my Legion should be World Eaters, and have been spending a few days going over some lists.

In the end i decided that i shouldnt focus on a list too much, and make a list out of the things i think would be awesome. I plan to spend a good couple of hundred quid next month on FW and i am more interested in shopping lists right now than army lists :P

Included in that list is Khârn, obviously. Some Red Butchers. Rampagers. And some heavy Support stuff.

What i want to know is, troops. Most people agree that 20man blobs with an Apothecary is a great troops choice, and i agree. But for World Eaters i just dont see it happeneing. I could replace the Bolter with a Chainaxe, or buy one for them all. But wouldnt something like Assault Squads be a much better choice, and just get stuck in, out of my deployment zone i get Rage anyway from the RoW.

Anyone got any tips?

My biggest issue with assault squads is the cost in points and my 40k army is blood angels. I have to agree 20 man tactical blobs are stronger and they can still get stuck in good and quick if you play like a world eater. If you want assault marines I would take one unit of them and still plan for a core of tacticals

I've got one big question, do you want it to be a strong list, or do you want to be a fluffy list?

Assault squads are not worth it because they are overcosted, hideously overcosted in fact, whereas with Tactical Squads you get a lot out of very little points once you start upgrading them.  Tactical squads give you 20 marines for 250, Assault Squads start with 10 marines at 250, yes it's going to be harder for the tactical squads to get into combat, but they're almost always going to have more troops when they do (it's highly unlikely you'll lose more than 10, and your assault squad is going to be taking casualties before combat too) and as such they'll still have more attacks when they get there.

If you want the list to be strong, I'd recommend against the Assault Squads, if you want it to be fluffy, then go for them.

One last little thing, if you want to use the old Black Templar's strategy or you want to play Loyalist/Sane World Eaters for some reason, they make a pretty good gunline army, stock up on heavy weapons, Mortis Contemptor's, rapiers, etc. force your opponent to come to you, and then when they're within range charge them immediately to get your Rage+Hatred bonus (because you just charged out of your deployment zone) while you continue to pick off their other units with your long ranged guns.

Archived