Lords of War in Tournaments

brother_contagion

Does anyone have any advice on using Chaos Lords of War in Tournaments (assuming they are allowed)? I've been looking at getting a Lord of War, but haven't decided on which one I'd like to have. I have the the Imperial Armor Apocalypse book and have looked at the Escalation book, and I was wondering about these three choices: Lord of Skulls, Brass Scorpion, and a Imperial Superheavy Vehicle (assuming Chaos has access to them, I don't know if Lords of War follow the Allies Matrix or not).

Are there any suggestions on the strengths and weaknesses of the Lord of Skulls and Brass Scorpion? If I can have access to Imperial Superheavies, are there better alternatives? As much as I'd love to take a Warhound or a Reaver Titan, I'm wanting one that would be dollar friendly! lol

Also, what's the best way to make a list with a LoW? As in, should you create your list to support the LoW's abilities/disadvantages? Or should your LoW not affect what else you choose to be in your list?

I posted this in the Chaos forum but have yet to get an answer, but I considered this would be a better area to post this in since I'm asking for tactics.

Having used all 3:

Lord of Skulls - Best against other LoWs given the high number of D attacks it can put out in close combat. Also great against anything MC or smaller with 3+ or worse armor (including those in cover within Hellstorm range). Terrible against flyers. Can be tarpitted given only 4 base attacks initially and no Stomps.

Greater Brass Scorpion - Terrible against other LoWs given lack of D-Weapon (difficult to Pen another LoW with only single shot S8 cannon and even with S10 in close combat). Great against anything MC or smaller with 3+ or worse armor (including those in cover within cannon range). Cannon has more range vs Lord of Skulls Gore but covers a smaller area - so tradeoffs. Also great against tarpits because of 6 base attacks and Multi Legged Terror Stomps. Has weakest rear AV10 armor and can be shot to death from that arc by shooty Troops.

Imperial Super Heavy - Ok against other LoWs from range, but not as good as Lord of Skulls, because has at most 1-shot D-Weapon before resorting to Las Cannons. Can do more damage than Lord of Skulls or Greater Brass Scorpion against anything MC or smaller with any armor with the use of Hellhammer(S10 AP1, Massive Blast, Ignores Cover) or Stormsword (S10 AP1, Apoc Blast, Ignores Cover). Also best Assault Transport with Stormlord variant. Terrible against flyers. Can not only be tarpitted but can be destroyed by close combat Troops.

If I know my opponent is bringing his own LoWs then I will field the Lord of Skulls for sure. If I know my opponent is going to gun-line in cover, I'll bring the Hellhammer or Stormsword. Or the Stormsword if I'm going to fill it up with like close assault Daemons. Otherwise, I like the GBSoK for TAC if I don't know what I'm facing.

I'm considering getting the Lord of Skulls, its weaponry look really nice, however it is a big disappointment to me that it can't Stomp, but I guess the super Ram it can do isn't all that bad, especially trying to clear the way to get to another Super Heavy! Since it can Ram like a vehicle, can it Ram another Super Heavy and then charge it?

You can Ram another Super Heavy, Ram Vehicles and Tank Shock Troops but the problems are:

1. Its only one hit per model - unlike Stomp

2. Even with the best Thunderblitz result (6) - infantry can get Cover or Invul Saves. Unlike Stomp which will kill stuff like Seer Council with no Saves on a (6)

3. You cant Ram or Tank Shock when tarpitted in close combat

4. Ramming another Super Heavy is likely to do the same damage to yourself

However, with a 12" move and a somewhat wide base, you could Tank Shock a ton of models if circumstances are right. And if he has models that are 'surrounded' by other units - then Tank Shocking could force them to be removed as they can't get out of the way

Definitely an interesting question, especially considering i'd like to one day be able to field a Super-Heavy of my own. Does anyone have thoughts on the Thunderhawk Gunship?

I dont have one of those but seeing it in play - it is very survivable (being a Flyer and all) but it isn't particularly good against other LoWs or Troops, compared to the other LoWs, in having only a one shot, large blast D-weapon, a few HBs and LCs. That 1 shot-D isn't as good to kill another LoW (compared to a Lord of Skulls) unless you're really lucky (in hitting with it, then rolling a 6 on the D table then rolling a 5 or more), and all its weapons combined don't have that many shots / wide enough an area to kill lots of Troops (compared to a Stormsword). It's also not that great against other flyers as HBs aren't that strong and it only has 2 LCs - might as well take a Vendetta or Vulture.

You can Ram another Super Heavy, Ram Vehicles and Tank Shock Troops but the problems are:

1. Its only one hit per model - unlike Stomp

2. Even with the best Thunderblitz result (6) - infantry can get Cover or Invul Saves. Unlike Stomp which will kill stuff like Seer Council with no Saves on a (6)

3. You cant Ram or Tank Shock when tarpitted in close combat

4. Ramming another Super Heavy is likely to do the same damage to yourself

However, with a 12" move and a somewhat wide base, you could Tank Shock a ton of models if circumstances are right. And if he has models that are 'surrounded' by other units - then Tank Shocking could force them to be removed as they can't get out of the way

That's true, and that's kind of the reason I wanted to do that, so in the assault phase I could get a few extra attacks against the other superheavy for loosing a hull point or two =P The LoS doesn't have very high AV compared to other tanks, so if I rammed the front it could be in trouble, but a side hit could work.

One other thing to consider is that the Knight Titan can actually be very deadly against other LoWs in close combat.

The Knight will beat a Reaver or Warhound given the former has WS4 I4 with 3 D-Attacks base while the latter has like WS2 I1 and only 1 or 2 Str 10 Attacks. It could also beat the Scorpion as the Scorpion is I3 so the Knight could kill it before it can hit back with its 6 x S10. Not a bad investment in points if you can get the Knight into close combat.

Course, even better still in that regard is FW's Knight Cerastus.

• 2 weeks later...

um, well a lancer for sure since it goes at i5 with 5 attacks on the charge hitting on 3s, so decent chance, a ccw reaver would have 3 attacks (assuming both chainswords) and is ws 2... so no really in its favor expecially vs a senchel or a named knight since they were ws 5 and needs 5s to hit it. Also brass scorpians just have 6 s10 attacks, so around 3 hits, and 2 results that need a 6 to cause a chain reaction.

Haven't seen a Scorpion in fluff (except maybe mentioned in Vraks) but Knights took down an Imperator Titan in Vengeful Spirit.

Course, that was with numbers and some Slaaneshi guile.

Archived