Need help with brother and dark angels

ThatOneMarshal

Hey guys my brother is getting into 40k and he went with dark angels after he read about the ophidium gulf incindent wallbash.gif. He was thinking of starting off with dark vengeance and he really like company veteran squads and the tactical squads and doesnt want bikes. He also finds terminators cool. Any tips for him. Thanks in advance.

He also finds terminators cool. Any tips for him. Thanks in advance.

I recommend that he purchase Belial and 1-2 DA chapter upgrade sprues. The spues hold robed Marines, some extra Terminator equipment and more DA things.

And by the way Terminators are coolyes.gif

Sviar's advice is sound as it means he will have a bound army (two troops units with Belial taken as the DW will count as troops). If he can trade the Chaos in the DV set for more DA he can effectively double his force. From there it might be worth him playing a couple of small games to see what elements he enjoys playing with. If he sticks with greenwing then a third squad of tacticals would be a sound investment as would a Devastator box set to give him some more heavy weapon options. A command squad would also be a sensible purchase so he can access the DA banners to strengthen the force he has. At that point the type of army he faces should shape his next purchases. If there are lots of hordes then a Whirlwind might be sensible. Predators can be pretty versatile and a Vindicator will scare most opponents too. Rhinos could also be bought at that point to give him some speed and to allow him to put tacticals in position to support his terminators.

Hope that helps.

Regarding vehicles, I suggest that your brother gets no less than 3 drop pods and 3 razorback/rhino kits to begin a mechanized list using Greenwing. The drop pods are for either alpha striking multimelta dreadnoughts (used very effectively by Typher), or alpha strike company veterans armed with meltas/plasmas. Not sure if company veteran can take combi weapons, but if they can and are cheaper, may as well use combi meltas to kill whatever needs killing, as they will most likely die anyway.

I'm also not sure if greenwing tacticals can take drop pods as dedicated transports, but if they can, the drop pod will serve as an objective grabber.

Bear in mind that rules for dedicated transports for troops is that the transports are objective secured as well! Meaning your opponent not only has to kill the tactical squad camping at the objective, he has to kill the drop pod as well.

Then again, you might not need drop pods if you intend to utilise mostly deathwing termies which can deepstrike. In any case, greenwing still needs an abundance of rhinos/razorbacks. Venerable dreads in drop pods are surprisingly resilient and effective from what i hear. 

as would a Devastator box set to give him some more heavy weapon options.

i would sugest geting another tat box alongside the devs so that you can assemble all of the heavy weapons (the box has 8 heavy weapons but only 5 marines)

DA Mortis dreads (the rifleman or the fw variants) are quite useful if he is into dreadnoughts.

Compared to chapter tactics and sternguard special ammo, our veterans are a bit lackluster, but they do have incredible synergy with the Azzy/Zeke droppod bomb.

A command squad with a standard of destruction and a couple tac squads can lay down silly amounts of firepower if you are looking for a gunline wall of lead as a primary firebase.  If he likes terminators he may consider still fielding a small unit of bikes to ensure the termies land where he wants them.  Having a teleport homer half way across the field before turn 1 starts is a huge help for the deathwing assault.  

If your bro is new to the game then I can't recommend a couple of dark vengeance box sets enough. That's were I started a couple of years ago. Firstly it's great value for money. They are also super easy to assemble but with a raven wing upgrade and a box of veterans and little work can be very customisable see this thread for example. You can ebay the chaos stuff if you don't want them.

After that he will have a playable army with 4hqs 2 troops two elites and a full squad of bikes for fast attack. Once they are all assembled give it a play and see what aspects he enjoys most. Both the DW knights and black knight are fantastic boxes with loads of DA bits to add to your bits box and I would strongly recommend them too.

• 2 weeks later...

From a gameplay point of view make sure your brother knows that a few bikes actually really can help out Terminators in the long run. A squad or two of six guys with an Attack Bike give you enough for the regular bikers to have melta guns and the Attack Bike with a multi melta is great. You start these all on the board (or outflank the attack bike) and have them scout move up so when the Terminators deepstrike (if that's what he wants them to do.........they do get twin linked on deepstrike) then they can hopefully go within range of the bikes teleport homers and not scatter. Very fluffy and synergy works well too. I was the same way not a huge ravenwing fan to this day. However they fill the anti tank roll without having to run up and punch stuff along with giving good placement options. Just something for him to think on.

DoC

Archived