Barebones Codex: Space Marine Combat HQ

UltraTacSgt

I'd rather shoot dead your Chapter Master and charge the rest of your army. Or better yet, shoot your Chapter Master almost unto death then humiliate him by snatching his last wound in a glorious counter charge before he can attack.

Point is, I don't fight fire with fire. I don't plan to deal with mega armoured Nobz, Bloodthirsters and Chapter Masters by going toe to toe with them on their terms and butting heads. ;)

Tanking wounds is a valid tactic. I don't dispute that Iron Hands with the Eternal Shield are difficult to face. But it's not for me.

Chapter Master on bike, shield eternal, burning blade, artificer armour...

You may as well take an Imperial Knight :-P

The point I'm trying to make is that it's easy to over invest in a unit, but at the same time being conservative leaves the unit unable to fulfil any role with efficiency. When picking a HQ you should review what your list needs most or how can it can benefit a specific unit or tactic...

...but I still don't rate a single generic libby :-P

I can't see a single reason why you would take a lvl2 Libby over Coteaz....

I'd rather shoot dead your Chapter Master and charge the rest of your army. Or better yet, shoot your Chapter Master almost unto death then humiliate him by snatching his last wound in a glorious counter charge before he can attack.

Point is, I don't fight fire with fire. I don't plan to deal with mega armoured Nobz, Bloodthirsters and Chapter Masters by going toe to toe with them on their terms and butting heads. msn-wink.gif

Tanking wounds is a valid tactic. I don't dispute that Iron Hands with the Eternal Shield are difficult to face. But it's not for me.

a marine player claiming to be able to kill a model that tanks entire tau gunlines of shooting, and charge what, you move 6 a turn unless your packed in a land raider. Like i see no point to taking a hq unless its a massive killing machine or as cheap as you could get like a libby or maybe a motf

I see the appeal of the two extremes, cheapo HQ because it's required or uber face melter who can engage half an army.

But I also see the value of the middle ground, something that can dominate those bargain or support HQs while still presenting s threat to the more expensive monsters out there.

Edit: Maybe part of this is that I view the AA&SE&TH Chapter Master the same way as I'd view four TH/SS Terminators. Tar pit them, torrent them down or use massed AP2.

well to me i dont see it that way since my list focuses on having 2 of them with ravenwing vets so hit and run and 5+ fnp keep em trucking all game long. especially with bikes the mobality is prob why i cant see anything less being useful... gotta go fast

well to me i dont see it that way since my list focuses on having 2 of them with ravenwing vets so hit and run and 5+ fnp keep em trucking all game long. especially with bikes the mobality is prob why i cant see anything less being useful... gotta go fast

An Iron Hand player with two Chapter Masters on bikes attached to the super-secret-squirrel Dark Angels special bike squads. . . this is why the fluff-bunny under my bionic exterior is on life support.  And why I'm paying less and less attention to this game.

An Iron Hand player with two Chapter Masters on bikes attached to the super-secret-squirrel Dark Angels special bike squads. . . this is why the fluff-bunny under my bionic exterior is on life support.  And why I'm paying less and less attention to this game.

eh do what is needed to win vs the xenos, the heretic and the mutant... marines really cant go toe to toe vs tau and eldar unless you run a powerful list... but thats a topic for another thread... (also I have my own fluff to justify the 2 masters but w/e)

I believe that against armies that can't or won't move about before shooting you, you can successfully tank those shots easily enough. Not quite the same if an opponent moves his shots from different angles and kills the bikers behind the Chapter Master. Once he's alone he's easier to kill.

I believe that against armies that can't or won't move about before shooting you, you can successfully tank those shots easily enough. Not quite the same if an opponent moves his shots from different angles and kills the bikers behind the Chapter Master. Once he's alone he's easier to kill.

Self inflicted cover saves was a cute way to do it in 6th, but focus fire is gone now. Still possible to do with LoS blockers though.

and a whole continent lol... but I also like a motf for a 100 point hq (taking a combi weapon) since he can fire the combi and a harness gun at bs 5. good way to back up a tac squad or help in combat with his harness and can fix up some vehicles is needed

So has anyone tried something like a Captain with a Primarch's Wrath stuck in with Sternguard or Tac Marines and sitting on a midfield objective?

Or maybe a TDA Captain with Primarch's Wrath to give him 2+/4++, a Power Sword, and 3/5 Relentless Shredding shots hitting on 2's and re-rolling a miss for being Master Crafted; all for 140pts?

I have fielded powerhouse CM's with AA/Burning Blade/SS/JP and they have crushed in some games and then spent other games maybe beating down one squad of Fire Warriors, so I feel like in my meta I could get away with a more middle ground or lower points HQ. Plus I run two Vindicators along with plenty of other high strength shooting so I have rarely had problems with pounding tough units from a range when I could not win a melee fight.

Relic bolter really wants to be on a Relentless platform. If you don't go that route, try taking a simple combi weapon and a single claw and throw him in a drop pod with sternguard or a MSU tactical squad.

115 points isn't too bad for a drop pod squad guardian. Can spend a bit more for the 2+ save.

well captain idaho since you seem to discount the tactic so hard how about if your ever in my area we play a game?

That would be awesome mate. I'm possibly going to be visiting the states soon so I might be able to depending on travelling!

You'd enjoy yourself, I'm a laugh riot. ;)

and a whole continent lol... but I also like a motf for a 100 point hq (taking a combi weapon) since he can fire the combi and a harness gun at bs 5. good way to back up a tac squad or help in combat with his harness and can fix up some vehicles is needed

Ahhhh, now that's a comment I can get behind.  With a MOTF embarked, I've only lost my LRR in two games out of twenty (I'm kind of a boss at making IWND rolls), and he can kick out three plasma shots by himself to whittle down wounds on MCs or help blast enemy troops off of objectives.

Ive been dealing with this dilemma as I recently joined an escalation league and have to put together an army of 500 points with only Troops and HQs, no Allies, no 2+ armor.

Ive been trying the base libby with jump pack. But may have to try a MotF.

Ive been dealing with this dilemma as I recently joined an escalation league and have to put together an army of 500 points with only Troops and HQs, no Allies, no 2+ armor.

Ive been trying the base libby with jump pack. But may have to try a MotF.

Doesn't the MotF come with a 2+?

Archived