1850 Tournament choices

Uprising

I want to get back into the tournament scene, and plan on attending my first 7th ed tournament in OCT.  That gives me 2 months to prepare/paint/practice with an army. 

Here are the rules

http://www.legionsgames.com/phpBB3/calendar.php?view=event&calEid=1760

I am thinking of using the following of my army

• csm Plague zombie army with heldrakes and daemons
  • foot slogging guard with Vendettas
  • Daemons
  • Space wolves thunder wolf army

So whats the meta like lately? 

wolves are going to twist the mrta a bit, but expect bikestars, wolfstars, and screamerstars. Seventh ed weakened fmc's, and boosted armor, and it is still early to tell what will be dominant, but gear up for killing marines.

Helldrakes are a mixed bag. They're still... good at what they did in regards to AtG, but against everything in the air save really bad flyers and players, they're worthless if you're not taking groups. The nerf makes them and a couple Demon Prince configurations very shelf worthy.

Don't listen to the pessimism about Hell Drakes. Read the army lists that won the recent BAO? Four of the top 10 were marine armies two drop pods and two bike armies. The Hell Turkey is still very much a counter and effective unit to those types of armies (especially the bike armies). It also doesn't suck against the rest of 40k either.

Eldar are still king of the hill though. Orks haven't been sorted out so who knows what build will come from them. Space wolves allowing transports as choices in their own right expect almost every competitive imperial army to graft in some space wolves for a drop pod or razorback etc.

Don't listen when Talon and skyblight spam will destroy your air support the turn you arrive? Losing you the valuable support points you could use on the ground. One or two high price, late coming units is not a guaranteed victory against heavier flight or ground armor support with that neutered bale flamer. No matter how hard it may counter a minority of troops choices army that can just kill your scoring units and hide for the match.

Exponentially increasing drake sizes also, just so that we understand how this works, takes away from the valuable Bikes, spawn, maulerfiends, and everything else that actually maintains threat projection. Drakes only go so far weakly popping rear armor. That single gun is is a major weakness, damaging it with certain bulds is almost a guarantee. Also worth mentioning, the top Chaos Marine player in BAO didn't make it past #15, or have drakes.

About the one thing I do say I'd want drakes for is Knight hunting, but anyone else can take advantage of that if they're not using good support. In that regard I'd rather take a Talon or Fire Raptor. Cult troops are making a slow crall of a comeback, and with Psychic Battery rubrics and maelstrom making Berzerkers useful, Heldrake simply has too much to compete with when the Chaos strategy is to stay on the ground and focus on objectives.

I would point you to the recent marine lists...I have only ever seen a single talon spam list. Just a hint they suck with a capital S. When it all boils down its still armor 11 and 2 HP's. Even if they run a TLLC (why at 140 pts a talon) hell turkeys still get a 5+ invuln which is a whole lot better than jink since jink makes fliers snap fire.

There is a lot of woe is me with the Hell Drake, if you didn't see a 360 degree torent flamer with soul blaze as a little excessive you may have been drinking some cool aid. I was surprised it got balanced via the main rules and not when AA new Dex came out though. A lot of units got balanced in 7th like Eldar Wave Serpents being a good example (the change to jink could have been named...the fix serpents rule).

Still an effective unit...can you take 5 of them and sit back and play 40k on easy mode now...no.

You know what, :cuss it. Take the Heldrake and see if it stacks up to your meta or runs into Fire Raptors, Princes, and Sky Blight and potentially doesn't work.

I'm hearing too many mixed ideas and reports to theorize something I can't use at the moment.

Archived