New Eagle Eyes test mini for Vanguard Vets.

JeffTibbetts

Ha, GW trying to 'help out' by giving you bits that they think go together isn't entirely dissimilar to beloved family pets attempting to offer assistance...

Ooh, that's a much clearer shot of the head.Very good pallid skin tone indeed and the Blacked out eyes work very well indeed. I'd keep them, fluff be damned. Carcharodons have blacked out eyes to go with their almost alabaster skin IIRC, so there's a Raven Guard link there if you need it. As nods to a parent chapter go the ones you've adopted work well, if you think about it they make sense, but they don't instantly make you think the Eagle Eyes are Raven Guard successors.

Oh no, that's a shame about Queen Bee. As much as I might like you to get it sorted tout suite, take your time until your ready to do it. That Knight is too much a labour of love to continue when you're anything less than 100% about working on it.

Apparently, the black eyes ARE a real Raven Guard thing according to a fair amount of the fluff. Primarily ForgeWorld stuff, but some have whites and some don't seem to. Black Library books are spilt as well. The thread I linked up there kind of blew up, actually. Roiling debate. But yes, knowing the sharks have all-black eyes does indicate that it can happen even if the RG turn out to officially not have them. 

Alright. Made a little more progress on Veteran Brother Chicote:

gallery_74115_8912_446177.jpg

gallery_74115_8912_1302720.jpg

gallery_74115_8912_95545.jpg

gallery_74115_8912_129538.jpg

All the base colors are down and done. Green, red, bone, bronze and steel, ready to rock. All that's left is to add transfers, do a little wear, base and weather. I'll be using the 32mm bases (the one he's on is temp, just for painting) and I'm pretty excited about them. These guys will look huge, especially with their crazy poses. Some of them take up a lot of room, with weapons and legs flying all over.

Looks great.

Your Eagle Eyes have been a favourite of mine for a while, while i love the Queen Bee, I'm excited to see them getting some more love. The RG links are definitely visible, and very cool.

Thanks, man! I appreciate it. Yeah, for some reason the bug hit me pretty hard. A buddy of mine has been wanting to play so I wanted to get my Vans ready, as well as my 2 Stormtalons and finishing my 3rd Land Speeder so I can get a full squad going.

I don't suppose you've considered going with a darker skintone Jeff? I know the RG geneseed tends to result in pallid skin, but the climate of the Eagle Eyes' homeworld has always made me assume they had a more bronzed skin colour.

I know it's not as fluffy, but bronzed flesh with the dark eyes would look awesome, and provide a nice contrast to the pale arms :P

Man, this is making me want to necro the Persecutors more and more

I don't suppose you've considered going with a darker skintone Jeff? I know the RG geneseed tends to result in pallid skin, but the climate of the Eagle Eyes' homeworld has always made me assume they had a more bronzed skin colour.

I know it's not as fluffy, but bronzed flesh with the dark eyes would look awesome, and provide a nice contrast to the pale arms tongue.png

Man, this is making me want to necro the Persecutors more and more

They do start out with a darker skin tone. The scouts are more like a typical caucasian (maybe a little darker), actually, as the lightening begins after the geneseed kicks in. These veterans, though, have the lightest skin as the RG seed takes time to fully present. Funny you mention the arms and skin matching, because that's quite the point. The way I see it, I know the RG do white arms but I don't think it's ever explained why. In my chapter, over time the significance of this gesture is to respect the whitening of the skin by showing it on the outside of the armor as well. Basically, the veterans' arms are painted the same color as the skin, which ends up being a sort of off-white bone color. I can't say I planned it that way from the beginning, but when I'm painting these are the sorts of things I think about and that's what I decided on. :D I used the same recipe for the face and the arms, but different techniques and in different ratios to represent the way skin looks. I also added a little red and blue glazework to the face to breathe a little life into it and show the sort of translucency I expect from RG skin tones.

Wait that's not a Knight, what's the deal....

He is looking really cool, as an RG fan I approve. The pose is nice, the painting is nice, all nice.

Thanks for the kind words! I'm catching a lot of flak for giving the Queen a rest, but the truth is I need to figure out the decals I plan on doing for her so it might be a little while yet. I haven't forgotten her. She's still all over my painting desk, actually.

I feel that the lighting on the most recent photos is also better than before, but I may be imagining it. Good stuff on the colours. The green actually feels warmer than the previous photos (hence why I'm inclined to say the lighting is better, but it may be the overall effect of the highlighting).

Didn't notice it before, but kudos on not doubling up on the Crux while also keeping the underlying lightning claws matched (I'm referring to the knuckles).

Actually, the green looks brighter because of the yellow glaze at the end. Saturates it quite nicely. My lighting does tend to fluctuate in that room since I have a couple of windows, but in this case it's the paint. And thanks about the bits selection. I guess if was a happy accident. He's also the only Vanguard with paired claws... The rest have a mic of weapons, but mostly the power hammers from the Dark Angels Black Knight kit. Love that hammer with the claw on one end.

• 1 month later...

Alright, peeps. I've gotten the light battle damage on the test mini. I like the effect.

gallery_74115_8912_673194.jpg

gallery_74115_8912_1223751.jpg

gallery_74115_8912_1029215.jpg

gallery_74115_8912_296217.jpg

I'm pleased the dark brown shows up alright on the darker green. It also pops against the bone color, of course. I think I'll run with this on the whole squad. Just need to base him on the new 32mm and he's good to go.

Thanks, everybody! It's still a new thing for me, so I appreciate the feedback. I can't wait to get the base going so I can play around a tiny bit with weathering powders. I want to get a little light gray ash creeping up the feet. 

• 2 weeks later...

Archived