The Legion for you... Community Assistance Thread

Hyaenidae

In my imaginary world where I have a fulltime job with a stable schedule and not a metric ton of college debt, I was planning on saving the Sallies for a retro-RT camo company to try something different.

I'm trying to learn tidbits of the WB, but I feel like Heathens prepreachy movement will make me grab a cluster-nuke.

You mean this one?

http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f262/SGM-Daly91/Warhammer%2040K/OriginalSalamandersColors.jpg

Whoowheee. You're a brave man. :P

An you know the grey, loyal Imperial Heralds were the best. Just admit it. :lol:

I fear nothing, except my claim of royalty to the throne of procrastination. And unsteady hands, I'm amazed I can even fire a weapon strait.

Greeting!

So weeks passed in silence since my joining, but there was plenty to think about, to calculate and of course decisions to make. I waited for Warhammer Fest (and all the awesome stuff from FW), and it was even more painful to choose. By Terra, if I just had the assets of Segmentum Solar at my command, I would be unstoppable!

Back to my decisions. My choice of arms will be an Iron Hands detachment after the events on Istvaan, who were trapped beyond the territories Horus seizes after his victory. This force will be lead by a Terran born Commander who tries to scratch together every available troop with which he could launch an offensive against the Warmasters armies.

Fluffwise I will try to make a colourful company with the machinery of the Mechanicum and other allies such as Imperial Army elements and other Astartes too. And a Knight or two.

Now, that sounds like a great piece of work and I hope that everything will go fine. As the first step is completed, now my second thing will be to place an order (yay, soo many shiny stuff…).

If there is a chance I will launch a project log here on B&C. Hopefully I will get some real-life Mechanicum support in a form of a camera, to make some photos about my progress.

You can't always get you want, but sometimes on B&C you might find you get what you need.

So, what I want is;

MKV and MKVI marines. I like bumps.

Zone Mortalis themed.

'Reversable' shoulder pad icons due to the V/VI pads. (e.g, not Salamanders. On the other shoulder the face will be facing the wrong way)

Shoulder pads are a must - can't do transfers.

Without painting vehicles I can confidently turn out reasonable table top quality marines in any colour. Except white. So no white.

I won't be using a Primarch.

So, Heresy me up!

Help me settle a tie:

Iron Warriors legion or Word Bearers legion?

1. My plan is to use a lot of GW plastic marines as the basics for a squad with kitbashes from the chaos warriors bits and forge world (similar to AlanofAngels NLs) and MK V (a few II, III and IV thrown into the mix).

2. I like big infantry mobs and firepower.

3. Im usually a die hard loyalist, but I felt like taking a walk on the wild-side although I was considering doing loyalist IW.

4. As far as colour scheme, I really love the crimson from the word bearers and even though I love the Iron Warriors scheme Im worried that so much metal might get boring/annoying.

5. As far as legion character goes, I like WB because of their quite pasive way of war compared to the other legions (pre-heresy) with Lorgar being more of an orator and peaceful primarch (until :cuss hits the fan of course) aswell as their religious points of wiev. But the Iron Warriors brutal and logical way of war, expending men like ammunition in gruelling siege and attrition warfare is something that calls to me, as well as their uniform being bare metal "designed for war, not parades".

So, help me with some insight, so I can choose.

(My other choice would have been Ultramarines, but I dont really want to wait until they get their upgrades, or SofH but the sea green is very hard to achieve).

Aye, a Black Nickel Paint scheme would suit the Iron Warriors quite well, Imo. Would make them contrast very nicely with any Hazard stripes you decided to paint on there since there will be a black-silver sheen on the rest of the mini. 

How you'd get that effect, I wouldn't know... But it would look pretty awesome once done, I think.

Well, the FW art is all metallic, regardless of color. I'd just paint the minis black and not bother with trying to come up with a black nickel scheme.

Or, I guess you could just use the FW recipe for the Iron Hands.

*edit* Darkened the armor up a bit more, made a few other changes. 

http://i.imgur.com/jBnbpfs.png

I actually like that a lot. I might have to make me one.

Silver with heavy Black Washes and a gloss/satin varnish might be good enough for it?

Iron Hands scheme could work well, but it has a lot of nuances that go into the green spectrum as seen in the Gorgon Terminators examples.

So I can use a single unit of the gal vorbak with the alpha legion?

YES! Yes you can!...actually any Legion Specific, non-character unit if you wanted to. But only one of them..

Meh, don't worry about the green tint. I'd probably add some black to Boltgun Metal (Is it still called that?) and airbrush the base coat.

The silver base paint? Its Leadbelcher now. 

Here's the color scheme for my Iron Warriors:

http://i.imgur.com/quqxiTs.jpg

I'm planning on making an assault squad using old school raptor backpacks, heresy armor, and the new raptor heads. I just love the old chaos models and want something as a throwback in my army. Problem is, I don't know how to paint them up to match the theme. Fluff is secondary, but since I am definitely using these heads I'm going to have to incorporate some of the night lords colors for it to 'work': 

http://i.imgur.com/Nccu90L.jpg

Any suggestions?

Guess my future 30k is AL. So much for sallies lol.

And since its 30k Alpha Legion, you have a lot of options for painting.

Standard schemes are : Cobalt, Amethyst and Black/Onyx which you could do in Metallic or Matte. Then you can mix all three in any way you want. Or paint them up as another Legion but leave a single piece of armor in AL colors and say "they're infiltrating another legion".'

Same could be done with Legion Specific Units...

If you don't know what you want to do for 30k, AL is probably the safest bet.

I would probably stay away from black armies, Its a colour that I really dont like for an entire army. For a unit? or a character? Sure, but not for everyone.

Anyways, this just raises more questions than answers :P But so far I think Word Bearers might be my choice, using the Dark Brethren RofW I can get daemon allies which would be cool. 

Here's the color scheme for my Iron Warriors:

http://i.imgur.com/quqxiTs.jpg

I'm planning on making an assault squad using old school raptor backpacks, heresy armor, and the new raptor heads. I just love the old chaos models and want something as a throwback in my army. Problem is, I don't know how to paint them up to match the theme. Fluff is secondary, but since I am definitely using these heads I'm going to have to incorporate some of the night lords colors for it to 'work': 

http://i.imgur.com/Nccu90L.jpg

Any suggestions?

Lovely Iron Warriors. While not helpful I am trying to work out how to use this head on a Raven Guard Dark Furry.

Do you guys have any rules/guidelines that you stick to with mixing armour marks in squads?

I love Mk IV but the poses etc can get a bit samey after the 10th tactical squad member and I was wanting to mix it up a bit

Half and half?

70/30?

Archived