7th Ed Regionals (Nationally ranked tournies)

Morticon

The following rules will be in place for our first ranked 7th ed tourney:

1. 1500 points

I really like this on account of the difficulty in creating very spammy, double FOC lists. Hard lists are still possible, but stupid, broken ones are much tougher to deal with. 

2. No unbound lists.

I think this is par for the course in most tournies, though i'm sure people will be itching to try it sometime. 

3. "Core + 1" rule 

Your army may include a core source book, plus one additional source, be that a Dataslate, Escalation, Stronghold, an Ally book or single Forge World source (pdfs/experimentals counting the same as Dataslates). 

I think this is a really interesting rule. I think it limits silly combos (eg: Rev + skyshield) and forces you to make some hard choices. It doesn't get rid of Eldar/DE cheesey builds, but at least there's some balance here. 

4. Maelific "Summons" will be limited to a maximum of 2 per player on the table at any time.

I don't know if i agree with this yet. Id like to see the full idiocy of daemon summoning on the table first before its balanced and comped. But, it will definitely put a limit on abuse of power here.

5. Games will be divided as follows:

GAME 1: 

Eternal War - RELIC– Vanguard Strike

GAME 2: 

Maelstrom of War – CLEANSE & CONTROL – Dawn of War

GAME 3: 

Eternal War – PURGE THE ALIEN- Hammer and Anvil

GAME 4: 

Maelstrom of War – TACTICAL ESCALATION – Dawn of War

GAME 5: 

Eternal War – BIG GUNS NEVER TIRE (4) – Vanguard Strike

I quite like the mix of Eternal and Maelstrom, though,  Id prefer it to be 2/3 rather than the 3/2 it is now, but I think there is still concern over the randomness of Maelstrom. I'm hoping that when people play in a tournament with both, they enjoy the Maelstrom more, and wind up developing a preference for those missions. I think with their inclusion into the tourney too, it means that lists have to be considered well - especially the selection of missions (ie: Relic, Purge and Big Guns coupled with the Tac-Obj missions). 

Tactical escalation and Cleanse and Control both have a sizeable amount of objectives to generate, so the luck factor is mitigated to a degree. 

I'm really looking forward to this! 

I'll probably be taking my BA army (surprise!) with a simple addition of a Damocles rhino so that what happened to me at ICON doesn't happen again <_< 

Even the Damocles can't stop the run of 1s! I rage-quit a game a few weeks ago where I couldn't roll anything higher than a 2 to save my life and it was a case of stop playing now or start throwing models at the wall out of frustration...

For the actual tournament itself though, I reckon it sounds solid enough. Not 100% convinced on Maelstrom myself as yes, it's a change of pace, but I find it devolves into two vaguely interactive games of 40k solitaire since objectives are scored at the end of the player turn. I.e. I generate 3 Tactical Objectives, manage to secure two of them, and discard the third as I know I can't achieve it; opponent generates 3 Tactical Objectives, manages to secure all three; I generate 3 Tactical Objectives.... and so on.

As far as the missions go, something that I haven't seen mentioned much is that Fast Attack and Heavy Support are actually a liability rather than a benefit in Scouring and Big Guns respectively, as with 7th edition they're scoring units anyway, but now give up a VP for being destroyed. I'd have thought they'd at least be made Objective Secured but no...

Pursuant to this, another guy in my gaming group was toying with the idea of a 'Maelstrom Denial' style list, whereby you try and maximise the number of tactical objectives your opponent can't get. No characters means no Hungry for Glory, an all-fearless army means no Psychological Warfare, no psykers means no Witch Hunter, etc. With careful building, you can make a list where 8/36 of the Maelstrom missions are completely unachievable for your opponent. Any thoughts on that as a strategy?

Pursuant to this, another guy in my gaming group was toying with the idea of a 'Maelstrom Denial' style list, whereby you try and maximise the number of tactical objectives your opponent can't get. No characters means no Hungry for Glory, an all-fearless army means no Psychological Warfare, no psykers means no Witch Hunter, etc. With careful building, you can make a list where 8/36 of the Maelstrom missions are completely unachievable for your opponent. Any thoughts on that as a strategy?

http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/294328-upcoming-tourney-serious-or-fun-list/  Second to last post. 

I managed to nail most of these and then some with my fun list, mostly by accident. Led to a win by the largest margin ever for me in 7th.

Every tournament and game group seem to have their own style of drawing cards and deciding which ones can be discarded. but on the whole it works out.

In this subforum we don't just talk about crazy lists, we playtest them :D

Congrats!

In regards to Maelstorm, it's fun for casual games and a nice change of pace. But the lack of strategy makes for less competitive games, since you basically just have to what the card tells you to. Listbuilding just seems more important than actually playing the game, i prefer the standard missions. (though it's nice to have the option of playing em)

Would be better if you scored your obectives in the end of the opponents turn. Last game i went 7-0 in turn 1 and 2, even though he manged to take out half my army, so the rest of the game was just playing Benny Hill, not very enjoyable for me or the opponent.

Last Maelstrom game I played but one was the one where you start with 6 objectives and get 1 fewer each turn. I managed to bag all 6 of mine on turn 1 for 8 points (one was a d3 roll) and the game was effectively over by the end of turn 2 as a result. I enjoyed it at first, and it made for a nice change of pace, but it's really not very interactive.

When is the tournament and is your list a secret?

6/7 September! And no secret! But, will post in the list thread. Wouldnt want to break forum rules.... (again)whistlingW.gif

Quite interested to see these results with regard maelstrom! Some interesting situations arising. I havent seen anythign like it yet!

I'll probably be taking my BA army (surprise!) with a simple addition of a Damocles rhino so that what happened to me at ICON doesn't happen again <_<

No don't...oh too late, you said it. Better take corbulo now, just to make sure :p

I'll probably be taking my BA army (surprise!) with a simple addition of a Damocles rhino so that what happened to me at ICON doesn't happen again dry.png

No don't...oh too late, you said it. Better take corbulo now, just to make sure tongue.png

Always take Corbulo!

I'll probably be taking my BA army (surprise!) with a simple addition of a Damocles rhino so that what happened to me at ICON doesn't happen again dry.png

If you haven't got the time to scratchbuild a Sicaran, why not see if you can get away with putting a Predator turret onto a Landraider?

Also, how are you going to keep Mephiston topped up with enough warp charge?

If you haven't got the time to scratchbuild a Sicaran, why not see if you can get away with putting a Predator turret onto a Landraider?

Also, how are you going to keep Mephiston topped up with enough warp charge?

My experience running Mephiston in 7th (when only psyker) is as follows.

Try to roll a good personal warlord trait like fnp or iwnd that works as a passive buff. Roll on biomancy for powers.

If you hit a good warlord trait you then generally only need to get off one power each turn, with a spare D6 or two for the occasional 'force' activation. 3+D6 warpcharge go a long way unless your opponent is spamming cheap psykers.

Don't like the allowance of dataslates, daemons with Belakor will be terrible to play against :/ look forward to 2++ screamers with guaranteed invisibility and similar shenanigans. 

The limit to summons is ok but not really necessary, there are enough broken lists around without summoning already ^^

I played one tournament with only maelstrom missions and it was not balanced, it's better for the tournament if the eternal war missions count more. It's very frustrating when your opponent gets 5 or 10 points ahead because he drew nice cards and rolled well on the D3 VP missions.

Stock maelstrom doesn't work that well, you have to house rule it a little. Different draw and scoring orders, no random VPs, etc. We should probably make a thread (in the tactica?) for the best house ruled maelstrom variants. 

The next tourney for me has this mission where you pick 4 cards each and draw from that pool, not a good system. I've already figured out how to abuse it :P But I'm going to play it nice unless I'm up against a really tough list.

Dataslates are fine if they take up your one extra source as it does cut back on the filth a decent amount. And TBH, Eldar/DE only really have one cheesy build revolving around a single special character. Silly question though, what do supplements do? (I.e. things like Clan Raukaan and Farsight Enclaves)...I assume they're treated as the 'extra' rather than the source book.

Supplement Codicies drawn entirely from the supplement will be counted as a single source.  If wargear, relics or a secondary detachment is from the core book, it counts as a second.  

Interesting thoughts on Maelstrom!! I'm loving every minute of them.  I can see how a player can get ahead, so, i do need to play more.  Maybe this is a good mix? 

Been out of the game for a while due to my first job so I can't comment on strategy(so many minor details have changed!), but I do enjoy the lists, discussions, and batreps that arise from your efforts. 

Give 'em heaven.  Give 'em hell!

Archived