A few questions to help a noob.

Ever since FW released 30k I've been interested in picking it up but I've been waiting for my 1st legion to be released. For months I've been drooling over the awesome Adeptus Mechanicum models and I finally broke down and got some thallax cohorts. I love em so now I'm hooked. I have 3 thallax cohorts (1 with MM) and a knight titan. I just ordered 9 more thallax, a titan techpriest, and 2 Castallax (one of each) to start my army. I've played 40k since RT but im totally new to 30k, so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Now for my questions.

1. Can you play 40k armies fairly using the 30k AM rules?

2. Could I take my AM army as allies for my 40k IG army? (Im thinking Skitarii) Or is that just cheese?

3. Could a modified techmarine be used as an archmagos?

4. What are the "must have" models for a solid competitive army?

5. Which one of the HH books has the best rules for AM?

I don't really want to buy all the books. Just one for my AM and when it gets released the one with my DA in it.

1. So far in 40k games i've played it's been the Knight that gets the complaints of being possibly OP not the Mechanicus force alongside it.

3. I use a modified techmarine for one of my HQ's. But when they release the model on the Abeyant I will be first in line to buy it...

Oh it'll be a race for first in line i suspect... though as i can't get to any events you may have an advantage. Otherwise it depends on timezones and when they put the pre-order link up.

1. Can you play 40k armies fairly using the 30k AM rules?

2. Could I take my AM army as allies for my 40k IG army? (Im thinking Skitarii) Or is that just cheese?

3. Could a modified techmarine be used as an archmagos?

4. What are the "must have" models for a solid competitive army?

5. Which one of the HH books has the best rules for AM?

1: Generally speaking yes. There are some powerful super-heavies in 30k, but they're geared towards 2k+ games or Apoc. There are more overpowered armies and units in normal 40k right now than compared to HH's worst examples of OP'ness. 

2: Nah, do what you want man. I'd say they're Battle-Brothers with AM. 

3: Yeah sure. There aren't many official models anyway, besides the Enginseer model or the FW Dominus model. Go nuts!

4: Generally speaking, you want Thallax and Castellax as your core units. From there, I'd probably get some Myrmidon Destructors (they obliterate horde units very efficiently, especially with volkite culverins), a Thanatar (its scary good, maybe borderline broken) and a Krios Venator. Usurax are also good, Secutors too. Tech-Thralls provide a cheap source of meatshield and objective scoring, so they're good to bulk up your limited numbers. Experiment and find what kind of force you like. 

5: Book 3, 'Extermination'. It has the most complete list of Mechanicum units. As a side note, if you want to give your Thallax cohorts augments, be sure to Ally them from the Legio Cybernetica or Ordo Reductor lists. In the Taghmata list from Book 3, many of the augments change their Force Org slot, whereas in the earlier books they remain Troops choices. 

Archived