HH time line

thebymster

I think I've seen an image posted on here of a timeline that another user created, can't find it though.

It's slightly difficult because a lot of novels overlap each other. Like with The First Heretic, the first part of the book is set roughly 40 years (possible retcon aside) before the Heresy, but by the end of the book they've gone past the Dropsite Massacre. So on a linear timeline TFH would be both before and after the first 3 novels.

The timeline I saw was almost like a side ways bar graph, with the timeline on the top axis and each novel with it's own box occupying the relevant dates that it covers.

Actually since I'm bored, I'll see if I can chuck them in order based on the earliest point that the book covers. This is from memory so be kind tongue.png

The First Heretic

Descent of Angels

Fulgrim

A Thousand Sons

Prospero Burns

Horus Rising

Legion

False Gods

Galaxy in Flames

Flight of the Eisenstein

Battle for the Abyss

Mechanicum

Fallen Angels

Nemesis

The Outcast Dead

Deliverance Lost

Know No Fear

Fear To Tread

Angel Exterminatus

Scars

Betrayer

Vulkan Lives

Unremembered Empire

Vengeful Spirit

The middle grouping kind of happens almost at the same time I think?

No idea about Damnation of Pythos.

Anyway, yeah that's a very very rough guide just going from the titles of the books and what I remember about the content.

Perrin, that's amaze-maze! I've read some. I started with The 1st Heretic cos it's title suggested it was the 1st! It laterally hard work as I didn't get ANY references and didn't know who anyone was! Them I found a Wikipedia list of when they were published and loved reading the first three books. I then expected the 4th book to carry on where the 3rd left off...

I've been working through them in order of publication and strugged with that too. So I've just started reading the ones people recommend or avoiding the ones people tell me are rubbish, more like!

Now I think I'm going to start 're reading some so that they make more sense! I read Prospero Burns before 1000 sons for eg...

any way: thank you so much for this time line, it helps my CDO massively- that's like OCD, but in alphabetical order!!

Oh, I didn't realise you wanted a list to read them in tongue.png

Glad you find that the chronological order list helps, but I would definitely recommend reading them in published order if you can at all. They should make more sense then. The first three published are kind of a self-contained trilogy, but after that most novels are stand-alone. You need to view it more like a setting than a series I think.

Haha yeah I thought you meant when they occured, rather than what order they were published in. Truthfully, after quite a few, it matters less so, but easier often to stick to the chronology. 

Ha I DID mean what order they occurred in!

I just got a bit disheartened reading a couple that I found quite rubbish and irrelevant so started skipping around...

thanks again guys for your time. Off to finish 1000 sons, not sure where I'll go after that... I'll decide later.

The problem is that so many of the books cover different amounts of time and double back on themselves, and unfortunately a lot of them don't include Imperial calendar dates - you have to work that out yourself from context.

So the kind of list you're after would read like "Read the first 100 pages of book A, then read the first and last chapters from Novella B, then read Short Story C in collection D, then read only the bits of book E in italics because those are flashbacks, then and only then read the next 300 pages of book A."

Some ambitious person needs to do a list like that (possibly they already have).

I read 'Horus Rising' first... but because I was borrowing them from the library, I didn't manage to read 'False Gods' or 'Galaxy In Flames' until I'd read almost every other Horus Heresy novel published so far (they were up to book 18 at that time, I think). That was confusing.

"the earliest point that the book covers"
Slight spoilers for Mechanicum and Prospero Burns
Mechanicum

includes the Emperors arrival on Mars before the Treaty of Mars that founds the Imperium.

Prospero Burns

includes flashbacks to and memories of armed conflict on Earth marking the end of Unification.

Ha, yeah I missed out the anthologies deliberately, too many stories to cover in all.

I meant the earliest point the book covers in any detail and for a significant period of time, not counting flashbacks or memories laugh.png Otherwise it'd be a mess.

• 4 weeks later...

Has any one ever listed all the HH books in order of when the events in each book took place?

I'm certainly giving it my best shot!

https://rateyourmusic.com/list/Tymell/the_horus_heresy_series__a_reading_guide/

Naturally, it's a work in progress, and plenty of them aren't set in stone, they're more open and placed where I think they fit/flow best, but there you go happy.png

Archived