Imperial guard armour

So I'm thinking that now my infantry core to my army is solid that I'd get some armour on the go. First thing I want to do though is find out how to magnetise. I know the basics however I don't really know what size of magnets to get or where to get them. Any pointers? I want to magnetise all of the guns on my Russ's/ chimeras including main gun, sponsons and hull mounted stuff. All help appreciated 

I use 1/8 by 1/16 magnets. It would help if you got a drill bit / kit that matches it.

Its been a while but I think I got mine from Army Painter - but something like:

http://store.miniwargaming.com/product/1-18-by-1-16-magnet-drill-bit-combo.html

Then, its real easy - drill a hole in the gun, drill a hole in the mounting, super glue magnets in both holes respectively - just make sure the face the right sides / poles to attact.

There are a few topics on the B&C detailing the use of magnets, a quick search should reveal them thanks to tags. As Kilo said it's easy to do, you've just got to be accurate with your placement of the magnets and be careful on the facings. The real work is in identifying how you can magnetise the most pieces with the least amount of work and changing. Some of the kits are easy to magnetise (Demolisher weapons for example) where others will require more work.

I recommend getting used to simple GSing too, as that is often needed or makes the conversion process a lot easier :) We should get round to making a topic full of magnetising tutorials for each vehicle, so if anyone has a tutorial for a specific Guard vehicle please PM me :tu:

Poke poke...

You can check out my chocochip thread for the rough tutorial but I will be tidying it up when my next Russ arrives. The chimera will be next after the valkryie.

I did magnetise the valkryie weapons too but never made a tutorial.

I am happy to put them together for a themed thread

If you have a look at my magnetisation thread (for sm vehicles) it may help you out.

Links are in my siggi.

Don't worry Castellan Blackmane...

After a discussion with WarriorFish there will be a thread starting for AM specific magnetisation tutorials.

It will include some stores to buy magnets, tips and hints, tools and the thought process behind locating magnets.

We are planning to do the magnetisation step by step with photos to help beginners and veterans alike, however this will take time so bear with us as it will have to be done in my spare time and I have to sleep sometimes msn-wink.gif

A list of vehicles which will be eventually covered to one degree or another in no particular order:

Basalisk

Chimera

Hellhound

Valkyrie

Leman Russ (all variants)

Sentinal

Wyvern/Hydra

Hydra/Wyvern

Baneblade

Manticore/Deathstrike

If you think of any others let me know but it will be limited by the models I will eventually buy so unfortunately this will limit it unless some kind person wishes to send me the kit to magnetise then get it back msn-wink.gif.

For example, at the moment I have no interest in running Taurox in my lists.

Archived