Death Guard Test Model - feedback needed

Widowmaker

Do what you like best, at the end of the day- these are your models. Personally, the cape isn't for me - having said that, it does depend how it is painted. I always thought a cape of flayed flesh could be cool, I just have no idea how I would approach that.

I for one like the cape and the hood looks great but... proportions are off.

You gotta do something about those legs... or really go over the top with belly fat and make it hang low.

@disease - truer words were never spoken. Flayed cake would be impressive, but would either require a bit of gs work to give a patchwork, or you'd have to use the new Archon cloak or something similar.

@thoqqu - yeah. The legs have been bothering me a little. So....

Let's see if this photo comes out right.

http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s106/widowmakerphotos/Games%20Workshop/Warhammer%2040K/Chaos/Marines/Death%20Guard/In%20Progress/20141010_180402.jpg

The legs were scavenged from a RT Daemon Hunter inquisitor in terminator Armour (the hooded one, not the bionic leg). Model's right leg still needs work though. The head also needs a little more work, but I think you can see where I'm going.

Comments and criticism always welcome.

Cheers

Widowmaker

I can't believe I'm typing this but... Back it off just a touch. Like, green stuffing the eyes, while certainly awesome, takes away from the "Space Marine-ness" of the model. Part of any art piece (even minis) comes in knowing when the piece is done. I think if you slapped the cape on their and brought the helmet back in line as a recognizable piece of the armor, you would have one of the most unique and incredible Nurgle lords ever. 

• 2 weeks later...

@ Marshall Sampson of Terra... Thanks for the feedback, I see what you mean. It also probably explains why I sucked at art in school :D I was trying for fly eyes, but it didn't quite capture what I was liking for.

So, I tried the cape, but it kept looking too squat for my tastes, so eighty-sixed it. Taking MSOT's advice, I then removed some GS, then added some more because I can never leave well enough alone. Then took some of it off again, because MSOT was, again, correct. Originally, I left the eyes, but once I had it undercoated, it didn't look right, so I backed it off even more. It's a shame, because I liked the idea of fly eyes, but it wasn't quite working for me.

Anyway, this is where we're at now. The base colours are done. The white is pretty much finished. More to follow.

http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s106/widowmakerphotos/Games%20Workshop/Warhammer%2040K/Chaos/Marines/Death%20Guard/In%20Progress/20141023_23044_edit_1414128432733.jpg

As always, comments and criticism are very welcome.

Cheers

Widowmaker

@Disease - Thanks mate, I appreciate it. It's getting there.

So the work continues. All still mostly base coats, but this is where we're at.

http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s106/widowmakerphotos/Games%20Workshop/Warhammer%2040K/Chaos/Marines/Death%20Guard/In%20Progress/20141028_02275_edit_1414481349184.jpg

As always, comments and criticism welcome.

Cheers

Widowmaker

• 2 weeks later...

So we're done.

http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s106/widowmakerphotos/Games%20Workshop/Warhammer%2040K/Chaos/Marines/Death%20Guard/IMG_7583.jpg

Not 100% happy with his face, but he's good enough for government work.  He and some of his buddies are now over in HOH.

Cheers

Widowmaker

• 2 months later...

Wow, I've missed alot, sorry for my absence. 

This is looking good!

The Rust on the gun looks superb! I think I would have liked a little bit of rust or grime on the stomach, it looks a little bit "plain" if you know what I mean.

And why is everyone better at GS than me?! I mean your stuff looks awesomly disgusting.

Thanks Packe, I appreciate it.

I know what you mean about the belly... it is a big area lacking embellishment. Maybe I'll try to add some weathering or battle damage to it.

I moved country back in October, so my Death Guard is on hold for a little while. The "finished" lord, and a terminator bodyguard are over in HOH. I'd appreciate any thoughts you might have though.

Cheers,

Widowmaker

I think some kind of weathering will make it pop more, just a little bit to get some depth in it.

I know the "on hold" feeling all to well, but it seems I can't find you DG in HoH, mind giving me a link?

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Pearson73, I appreciate it. I need to work on getting some better photos, but the models are coming along :-)

@ Packe - yeah, it'll have to wait till I get back in front of them, but I'll get to it. Not surprised you couldn't find them - they were buried about 6 pages back. "Finished" models can be found at

http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/280882-clearing-out-the-bitz-death-guard/page-2?do=findComment&comment=3860720

(Apologies - I'm posting from my phone, so can't hide the link as cleanly as I'd like. Hopefully, this'll work though)

Cheers,

Widowmaker

Archived