Valerian's "Fixes" for the 7e Grey Knights Codex

Valerian

I don't mind these changes actually. For Paladins, I would be content with them being 55pts if they were ML2 (along with getting Sanctuary).

BHC really needs Herald back and to be able to deepstrike. PT would be a huge bonus, and I'd always thought of how awesome a master swordsman would be if he was using a teleporter to blink around mid-duel to overwhelm his opponent with feints before striking a decisive blow.

EDIT: Also, cheers for the citation on some of the other forums, Valerian! Feels pretty good to see my name in lights on sites like BoLS :)

I don't mind these changes actually. For Paladins, I would be content with them being 55pts if they were ML2 (along with getting Sanctuary).

Initially, I was going to include making the Paladins ML2 in my recommendations, but then remembered that Brother Captains are ML1, and Brother Captains are almost always selected from among the Paladins, according to the fluff, and couldn't justify them having a higher Mastery Level.  I figured the price drop combined with access to Sanctuary would be sufficient.

V

Your changes are elegant and would very nicely fit in to a FAQ....

I do agree with Brovius though, ML2 and Sanctuary would make Paladins almost worth taking. As for Brother captains being selected from the Paladins, that kinda works fine as the paladins collective level is 2, a bc having an entire level by himself seems like a logical step up.

-Edit- One thing I would change is to make the Personal Teleporter as special issue item. If a full squad can have them then I am sure an Officer could "requisition" one. smile.png

Your changes are elegant and would very nicely fit in to a FAQ....

I do agree with Brovius though, ML2 and Sanctuary would make Paladins almost worth taking. As for Brother captains being selected from the Paladins, that kinda works fine as the paladins collective level is 2, a bc having an entire level by himself seems like a logical step up.

Excellent point! Back to ML2 it is then. I'll edit the OP later.

-Edit- One thing I would change is to make the Personal Teleporter as special issue item. If a full squad can have them then I am sure an Officer could "requisition" one. smile.png

That'd be one way to do it. I just made it an upgrade option for BhC's but they could just as easily go into Special Issue Items - I like it.

I would have been happy with purgation squads having scouts so that they do not waist a turn moving. this is based on them moving with/ahead of the main force to get into better firing positions.  Them always ignoring cover may be a bit much on a 20 pt model vs some armies, like guard, who live by cover saves.

I have just reread the Original post and wanted to comment on this:

"If a Brother-Captain is in the army list, a Brotherhood Champion may be taken without using an FOC slot. "

I just think that is neat, its a great nod to the fluff without having any game breaking affects. GW really need to do this more.

Regarding strike squads: I think scout would be more apt rather than infiltrate. It represents them getting (further) in to position first and yet their transport options are still useful. Infiltrate precludes transport use which I think is a shame.

I'm working on my own GK rewrite, and I have to say I really like your take so far, Valerian!

For me, especially regarding Strike Squads, is that I'm having something of a toss up between giving them Turn 1 Deepstrike, Scouts, Infiltrate, and/or some kind of 'useful' psychic power outside of Santic Daemonlogy.

like, if Strikes are meant to be the forward vanguard, I could see them getting a lot of utility out of either the Shrouding Psychic Power, or Invisibility. Like, each Unit has a specific psychic power that's meant to evoke their tactical theme.

Strikes could get Shrouding

Purifiers get Cleansing Flame

Paladins could get Vortex of Doom

Purgation squads could get Prescience

Mind you this is is all just spitballing- and wondering what other people's thoughts are on the matter.

Purgation need Skyfire / Interceptor.  Call the rule "Astral Aim".

Makes them instantly a viable and wanted choice in the Codex.

Downside is that pretty much all GK guns are stil 24" range; now 16 psycannon shots at BS4 will ruin any flyer's day don't get me wrong, but that's a really short range.

Which is one reason why Skyfire/Interceptor wouldn't be hella op on them. smile.png

I guess for me the point is more "The utility is so limited as to be inconsequential"; note that any longer range on psycannons would be broken as all hell. Maybe GKs could get a 4th thematic, purgation-only weapon that's got a bit more range than 24"

Totally. And give that Weapon itself Skyfire/Interceptor.

The Psylance or something. tongue.png

Sure- that works; maybe it has a variable statline depending on how much psymastery is nearby; starts at like Str 3 AP5 (+1 and -1 because the purgation squad), and the more Psykers who are hanging out next to it make it stronger?

So... S3 AP5 base.

+6 ML (including the purgators) would boost it to S9 AP1.

I like the idea of the psychic artillery on the purgators although keeping that many guys around them would be hard for us.  What about if it was fueled by warp charges and had a scale of 1 to 3 charges to determine the strength and ap of the shot?

I like the idea of the psychic artillery on the purgators although keeping that many guys around them would be hard for us.  What about if it was fueled by warp charges and had a scale of 1 to 3 charges to determine the strength and ap of the shot?

That might be easier, yeah. I just don't want to make it a copy of the Lascannon. 

Heh, though fluff-wise, I imagine it'd be less a pewpew lasergun, and more like a PSYCHIC LIGHTNING ARC TELSA MACHINE.

so Str 2 AP 6; for every 1 warp charge The UNIT sucks up, it gains moves by +2/-2. ... Ooh it would gain spcecial rules too.

1 WC: Str 4 AP4, Heavy 1

2 WC: Str 6 AP2, Heavy 2

3 WC: Str 8 AP1, Heavy 2, Skyfire/Interceptor

Might be terrible, I dunno!

That might be easier, yeah. I just don't want to make it a copy of the Lascannon. 

Heh, though fluff-wise, I imagine it'd be less a pewpew lasergun, and more like a PSYCHIC LIGHTNING ARC TELSA MACHINE.

so Str 2 AP 6; for every 1 warp charge The UNIT sucks up, it gains moves by +2/-2. ... Ooh it would gain spcecial rules too.

1 WC: Str 4 AP4, Heavy 1

2 WC: Str 6 AP2, Heavy 2

3 WC: Str 8 AP1, Heavy 2, Skyfire/Interceptor

Might be terrible, I dunno!

Neat idea, we could feed them like the soulless assassin, Culexus, but I almost think taking the purgation squad anti air is a round peg in a square whole but with out adding new units it is the best option.

I would think about changing the chart though:

1 WC: Str 5 AP4, Heavy 1

2 WC: Str 7 AP3, Heavy 2, Skyfire ~this makes us closer to some other skyfire weapons

3 WC: Str 9 AP2, Heavy 1,  ordinance and large blast

Might also work better as a power or set of powers, like the chaos gods have there 4 each that is unique to them.

I like it. Would that be a sort of psychic test which determines the strength of the weapon depending on the number of successful warp charges that were rolled. Or would that be too random?

I think in the current talk it would be just give them X charges and look up the table for effect, which works well for us.

If you made it a power or set of powers then you have a lot of randomness on whether it will do what you want and I would think the chart needs simplification for easy of use and consistency of effect.

Before the codex info leaked but after we find out we were getting no new units I was kinda hoping that justicars would get the option to purchase abilities in the fashion that eldar exarchs do. It would keep the number of units the same in the book but allowed for specialization.

Archived