IG + Steel Host Formation

exsanguis

Hey guys,

So I want to do an Armoured Company utilising the Steel Host Formation from the Sanctus Reach supplement. This is the list that I have come up with so far:

IG CAD:

Pask - Punisher with Lascannon and MM Sponsons (240)

LR Executioner - Lascannon, PC Sponsons (195)

3x Veterans - 2x Flamers, Grenadiers Doctrine, Chimera (450)

Wyvern Battery x2 (130)

Steel Host:

Tank Commander - Vanquisher with Lascannon and MM Sponsons (195)

LR Vanquisher - Lascannon, MM Sponsons (165)

LR Vanquisher - LC, MM Sponsons (165)

LR Vanquisher - LC, MM Sponsons (165)

LR Eradicator - HB, HB Sponsons (140)

Hydra Battery x2 (140)

Total: 1985

Is there anything hugely wrong with this? Does anyone have much experience using a LR heavy list and/or the Steel Host? I considered Plasma for the Vets so they can shoot out of the hatch while they camp objectives, but figured they would need to help with thinning down hordes. I know the Vanq isn't the most efficient tank in the list, especially at BS3, but with PE from the formation, I love the idea of a battery of them sitting back and blasting stuff. I also have a fondness for the Hydra, even though an Aegis may be a better option.

This list is meant to be more thematic than competitive, but I want it to be able to win every now and then. To expand, I want to look into getting one of the super heavy tanks, most likely the Macharius Vanquisher (http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/Warhammer-40000/Imperial_Guard/Imperial_Guard_Super_Heavy_Tanks/MACHARIUS-VANQUISHER.html) because it's just so darned beautiful. I also want to add a Knight or two at some point, with my ultimate goal being to include either a Warhound or Reaver (or both if I win the Lotto).

Thanks for reading.

Flamers aren't a great weapon for Vets but as you said you'll need something for enemy infantry, 3 flamers with some BS4 lasgun support should do quite well there. That said at almost 2000pts your infantry numbers are low so I'd be concerned about losing tanks to enemy infantry assaults without enough support - especially since all your opponent's AP fire will be directed at them.

Maybe dropping the Wyvern and Hydra tanks for more troops? It'd also make your force more of a tanker one (with appropriate troop support).

Yeh, this is meant to be a tank heavy list but I can definitely switch some things around.

Was thinking that I move Pask to the Steel Host detachment and use a regular CCS and another Vet Squad to bolster their numbers.

So I've reworked the list a little bit in order to include more bodies. Tell me what you think:

Steel Host

Tank Commander - Vanquisher, Hull LC (175)

Vanquisher - Hull LC (145)

Vanquisher - Hull LC (145)

Eradicator - Hull HB, HB Sponsons (140)

Eradicator - Hull HB, HB Sponsons (140)

Hydra x1 (70)

IG CAD

Tank Commander - Pask, Punisher, Hull LC, MM Sponsons (240)

Executioner - Hull LC, PC Sponsons (195)

Veterans - 2x Plasma, Chimera (155)

Veterans - 2x Melta, Chimera (145)

Veterans - 2x Melta, Chimera (145)

Total: 2005

Need to trim 5 points of somewhere (the Executiones hull LC?), but it has 20 more bodies (though no carapace armour) and plenty of AP1/2, as well as two Eradicators to pie plate hordes. There's four AV14 vehicles getting up into somebodies grill ASAP (Punisher-Pask, Executioner, 2x Eradicators) and some long range AP2 focusing on MC's and enemy armour.

Thoughts?

I'd drop that hull LC too, easiest way to nab those points back and it's killy enough with all the plasma. Different target types too mostly. I think the list has legs (tracks?) with a good number of troopers to support your heavy armour and lots of guns to obliterate the enemies of the Emperor with. Most important of all is how cool a fully mechanised army like this will look on the table! :D

When it hits the table you must get us a batrep with pictures! :tu:

Archived