1500 Sons of Horus, starter list for expansion.

Pavel Araghast

Legion
  • Legion Astartes

XVI: Sons of Horus

HQ
  • Legion Praetor [170]

Artificer Armour, Digital Lasers, Iron Halo, Melta Bombs, Paragon Blade (Murderous Strike)

Troops
  • Legion Assault Squad [300]

9x Legion Assault Space Marines, 2x Power Weapon

• Legion Assault Sergeant

Artificer Armour, Melta Bombs, Power Fist

• Legion Tactical Squad [335]

19x Legion Tactical Space Marines, Legion Vexilla, Nuncio-Vox, Take an additional Chainsword or Combat Blade

• Legion Tactical Sergeant

Artificer Armour, Melta Bombs, Power Weapon

Elites
  • Apothecarion Detachment [55]
    • Legion Apothecary

Artificer Armour

• Legion Terminator Squad [300]

Cataphractii Terminator Armour with Combi-bolter and Power Weapon, 4x Legion Terminators, Reaper Autocannon

• Legion Terminator Sergeant
    • Thunderhammer

• Anvillus Pattern Dreadclaw Drop Pod
Heavy Support
  • Legion Spartan Assault Tank [340]

Armoured Ceramite, Flare Shield, Laser Destroyers

So this is the list.

Praetor is here because my ego is to big and my force cannot be led by someone, who is not a captaion and a hero of his Legion.

Praetor, apotecary and despoilers go into Spartan and roll midfield to bring some volley of fire and a anchor for our assaut.

Assault squad is taken because other option (without using Malcador or Pride of the Legion rules) is tactical squad in Land Raider (I think i'll better pay some points here not to give my opponent first blood with Rhino). Which is aproximatelly the same pointswise. They are here to move near Spartan and charge everything left alive by Fury of the Legion.

Terminators deepstring using Dreadclaw (awesome model), can charge on second turn. Their mine reserve roll to get where I need.

Thanks for reading. Comments and critics are welcome!

1. I know you mentioned that you'd insist on the Praetor but at 1500 points, I would really suggest a Centurion - Master of Signal Consul (who by the way IS a Company Captain; whereas a Praetor is actually a Lord Commander of a Chapter). That Centurion will be much cheaper and can give your 19 Tacticals - BS5 which makes a difference for that many models (especially when using Fury of the Legion).

2. I know that Sons of Horus are more known for their Shock Assault but Assault Squads are also too expensive for 1500 points (especially for only 9 models - where you can't take advantage of the lower incremental cost for additional models). I would stick with Tacticals, move them up slowly to capture objectives and stick to shooting. If you really want to Assault - give your Tacticals the additional Close Combat weapon. Those Tacs will be cheaper and you'll have more of them (which means they WILL beat Assault squads of similar points cost in close combat) - even if you can't move as fast.

3. Your only ranged anti-tank is currently the Spartan. Maybe consider taking 2 Predators or 2 Rapiers, etc. to spread the risk. Then if you have two Tactical squads, just walk them up in a Gunline, capture Objectives, use Fury of the Legion, then ground Charge when in range.

I realize its a little more straightforward and boring than having diversity with Assault squads, etc. but at lower point games you generally want to focus your forces. Those straightforward / boring lists win games. Having 1 Assault and 1 Gunline may cause disruption against an inexperienced opponent but an experienced one will consolidate and then pick your two squads apart sequentially. Better to have one big Gunline, unless its at a higher point cost game and you can afford to have a ton more Assault.

That said - if you're going for a more thematic list: Maybe consider using the Praetor and Orbital Assault with all Drop Pods and Tacs / Terminators instead (without the Spartan). Its risky but it will still be more disruptive and effective than having 1 Assault and 1 Tactical squad.

Edit - Btw, Welcome to the Horus Heresy! Looking forward to seeing your army.

Thanks for you input.

Orbital assault is really interesting, I can even get some Reavers here.

Is that big drop pod Kharybdus worth its points?

In a 40K list the Kharybdis is pretty good - since Chaos don't have regular Drop Pods with fist turn Drop Pod Assault otherwise.

But in 30K - might as well use regular Drop Pods. The only thing the Kharybdis adds is more weapons (Launchers and Heat Blast). The problem is you can't use those weapons (except for 1) effectively until the turn after your drop; Beforewhich - your opponent would likely have blow it up (since its only AV12 and will be in Hover when you drop). You might as well spend the points on an additional Drop Pod and yet more Infantry.

The other thing to be careful of when using Orbital Assault is that your opponent has lots more options with Interceptor in HH (like anything with Augury Scanner like Apothecaries, etc.). So if you know he has a unit with Intercept - drop somewhere else or use your Pods to block LOS.

Archived