Usage of land speeder storms

templargdt

Hi gents. I bought a trio of LSS back when I started in 5th edition because I liked the idea of coming on from reserves and assaulting a guy. Unfortunately I still haven`t finished them since I have little hobby time, but I am getting closer.

So how are people running these things these days? What Chapter Tactics? I was considering Salamanders with a Sergeant with Combiflamer and Melta bombs (can you master craft the melta bombs?) With a Heavy Flamer and Cerebus launcher, I think you could do some good damage by the Storm itself.

Thanks.

if you want to run them as assault troops this is a good plan all told.   The heavy flamer on the storm is in my opinion at least the best weapon option as it disregards the BS3 that kills the utility of a multimelta (meltafail is risk enough without reducing your base chance to hit to 50% right off the bat).   Since you have such good mobility you can pretty much pick and choose the targets you want (IE - ones the scouts can actually kill or tie up).    Though I dont think you can assault out of the storm the turn it arrives from reserves.

The other way I see lots of people running them now is just with bolters.   Since they can move and shoot now, they make good objective grabbers late game when you can pop them out of the storms.   Also - if you use IF tactics bolter drill will help make sure those shots are actually pretty accurate.    The loss of the second attack in close combat is mitigated by much better shooting and having a weapon with an AP value.   Plus, as a defensive force you don't get to pick what they fight so if they get charged the are more than likely boned anyways.

If you aren't an adherent to any particular CT then the Salamanders might be the best bet for you if it works with the rest of your army.

Regardless of CT though, most units will have a hard time standing up to being hit by a Heavy Flamer, a blast, another Flamer, and eight Bolter rounds.

Archived