Chain weapon gore?

Forté

The result would be "Chainsaw swords are massively impractical and don't work" I reckon :P

Also, if you want to model your marines with gore, but don't think it works because of the direction of spray, just image them all standing in a line spraying the marine next to them :D

Haha. Good points there. On both counts :tu:

Blood for the blood god is definetly the wrong colour. Always apply your blood in layers, with the first layer being a proper mix with black. Also make sure it dries up chunky (with a stippling brush), and then apply the ''normal'' blood effect.

I normally do apply a decent dose of gore and blood. I'm not sure why, maybe to hide the poor highlighting skills :) I mainly apply it to the weapon, possibly the hand/wrist (due to proximity) but few on chests and legs. Possibly on the face, again due to possible proximity.

I then imagine that it's because he crushed a few faces/skulls with the butt of his gun, or headbutt, fists, kicks, knees. I imagine (not based on any IRL experience) that under certain amounts of pressure (Astartes generated force) parts of the body can explode. Mind you, this exlude bony parts. But especially the torso, which holds a lot of tissue, can be prone to some outward effects.

but i doubt we will find out anytime soon how much splatter an actual chainsword would cause. I would side on the Rule of Cool though.

All this good talk and nobody has produced a tutorial yet? Shameful display! :P

Direction is something I'd only given cursory thought to, as I tend to go for the more 40k style of "go big or go home" :P But I do want to look into doing fresher blood and gore, so in that regard I would like to do something based more in reality!

• 4 weeks later...
From working closely with machinery and chainsaws it's actually a difficult call especially in the case of a chainsword which in proportion to a real chainsaw would not spray a fine mist of blood but chunks of flesh (think a wood chipper) for a chainsword to be possible it would need rows of serrated teeth all along separate tracks running the length of the sword.

Archived