Cadian 492nd "Ice Breakers" maiden victory

Brother Mitch

Greeting Brothers and Comrades,

I have just finished playing my friends ork army in what is only my second ever 40k game. My first match was plagued with mistakes and tactical errors to which I came here seeking advice. Of course this was received and the "Ice Breakers" 750pt list was born to defeat the mighty ork warboss "Ironbeard".

My list:

HQ:

Company command squad, autocannon team and plasma gun.

Ministorum Priest,

Primaries Psyker.

Troops:

Platoon command squad with flamer mounted in chimera with Heavy Flamer and heavy bolter.

10 man guard squad with flamer

10 man guard squad

10 man vet squad with autocannon team and flamer, forward sentries doctrine.

Heavy support:

2x Leman Russ battle tank

They were up against:

HQ:

Warboss

Troops:

2x 16 boyz with nob

8x gretchins with grot herd

Fast Attack:

3 bike boyz

Elite:

6 Lootas

Looted wagon

3x killa kan, 2 with flamer and 1 big shoota

Mission type was Maelstrom of war: Cleanse and Control.

I deployed first and had first turn.

Basically I merged the two ten men squads and had the psyker and priest join them, hid them behind the chimera with the platoon command squad for cover placed on the extreme right. Company command squad in the middle with the vet squad flanked by a Russ at either side.

My orky friend put his bikes and Lootas in front of the chimera, kans, gretchins and warboss in the middle and one boyz squad on my right. He kept the other boyz in reserve.

Turn one:

I moved the chimera up with the blob squad behind, nothing else moved. Managed to get Prescience off and orders for 1st rank fire, 2nd rank fire. Great combo. Sadly nothing was in range yet.

Shot with everything, russes stripping hull points off of the wagon and thinking the boyz, autocannon finished the wagon off. First blood to me. Stripped a wound off of the warboss.

The orks all moved up and shot what he could, think I lost one man from the blob and that was it. He assaulted with the bikes into the blob squad, masses of las gun fire wiped them clean off the board.

Turn 2:

This time I only moved the chimera up a little bit to maintain maximum shield for blob and moved blod up into a ruin as well. Prescience was denied, but I got foreboding off. Shot at gretchins killing a few but they made a lot of cover saves. Enough casualties for a morale check which they failed and fled. Russes managed to thin the boyz down and immobilise a kan. Vets stripped 2 more wound from warboss.

Orks all moved up again, Lootas jumped on an objective, gretchins managed to regroup and moved into cover. Kans and warboss advanced as did the boyz. Boyz then assaulted my vets, killing all but one.

Turn 3:

Moved the chimera up to target Lootas and disembarked the platoon command squad. Kept the blob in cover as killa Kans were getting close. Didn't get any psychic powers off. Last vet kept fleeing and left the table. Russes weapon destroyed another kan and killed the other as well as the warboss. Slay the warlord to me. Chimera wasted 3 Lootas.

Boyz squad charged a Russ and the nob managed to kill it. The only mobile killa kan failed a charge against the blob and his reserves came on and didn't really do much.

Turn 4:

My chimera squirted some flamer into the Lootas killing them all. My blob squad with the shoot and run order, shot into the new boys squad killing them all and moving away from the killa kan. The platoon command squad managed to only kill 2 more gretchins. Company command squad thinned the smaller boyz down some more. Remaining Russ moved and took out the kan, leaving only the immobilised one.

Smaller boyz squad tried to charge my other Russ but failed miserably. Gretchins moved onto the objective the Lootas had been on.

Turn 5:

Platoon command squad wasted the gretchins, Russ and company command squad wasted the last remaining boyz squad.

Only an immobilised kan was left.

Rolled for turn 6 and got it.

I moved everything for the kill and missed with everything, game ending after this.

Only ork model left on the table was an immobilised killa kan.

Took our victory points and I won marginally 8-7 with line breaker, slay the warlord and first blood.

I could have been a bit better with the tactical objectives but I was trying to annihilate him after my last humiliation. Almost cost me the game.

My MVP was the blob squad with the massed ranks of lasguns, who says flashlights don't work.

Must say the psyker didn't really do much and neither did my priest, but that was because I killed anything before I coule charge it. We move up to 900pts next. I'm thinking of either Wyvern or basilisk. Although I also have a Valkyrie I can field.

I must say, it was very satisfying to see the guardsmen slaughter the orks, made up for my last loss.

The Emperor guides and protects us.

Brother Mitch

Archived