Shadow Captain

Tiger9gamer

basically the premise is that the White Scars, Salamanders and the Raven Guard are on a mission to draw out the Overfiend of the Octavius empire (the one fighting the tyranids) so they can start gathering more worlds under Imperium rule and take out the leader of an empire. The Ravenguard's mission is to stop the ork invasion of  Lepidus Prime only to find the Eldar are fighting for the city's defense. 

This book features some great examples of how RG tactics should play out in the fluff too, with ambushes and sneaky attacks as well as straight up combat with a huge Ork Warmachine

I have listened to the audio version and I liked it. The White Scars were presented in a nice way, same as for the "crows", those really stood out. The Salamanders were nice too but I have found their story the least interesting. In the end a good set of stories and worthy to listen during a painting session. 

glad to hear someone else liked shadow captain =D I just got forge master the sally one and yes so far it is weak. 

the biggest part that is grinding my gears is that Annadale doesn't describe squad distribution or wargear at all. Several times in Shadow captain i had to re-read a section saying "wait, he has lightning claws and a Bolt Rifle?!" Same thing in Forgemaster. I was reading through and thought it only followed tactical squads when suddenly it mentioned an apothecary that i'm sure wasn't there before. it is still a good read but it's confusing.

also, I'm not sure how I feel about a certain plot point, but I dont want to spoil it.

• 2 weeks later...

I read Shadow Captain when it first came out, and frankly, I enjoyed it as well. David Annandale is fast becoming one of my favorite writers.

Then again, I personally enjoy all Black Library books I pick up. Including Graham McNeil's Ultramarines, which is how I imagine the Ultramarines (oh yes, I went there) so I don't know how much that will merit, but I still enjoyed the book. I found the threat the Orks posed was very genuine, which is rather rare for Orks, as they're usually more of a distraction from the "bigger" threats of 40k.

I read Shadow Captain when it first came out, and frankly, I enjoyed it as well. David Annandale is fast becoming one of my favorite writers.

Then again, I personally enjoy all Black Library books I pick up. Including Graham McNeil's Ultramarines, which is how I imagine the Ultramarines (oh yes, I went there) so I don't know how much that will merit, but I still enjoyed the book. I found the threat the Orks posed was very genuine, which is rather rare for Orks, as they're usually more of a distraction from the "bigger" threats of 40k.

I agree. the orks there were kicking the eldar left and right in the described conflicts, and the ravenguard took a lot of damage too. it goes to show how destructive the orks are!

.....as long as there is a fething avatar of khaine making them roid rage in stead of them evolving from the FETHING war of Octavius.

Archived