Space Marines, Strength 10, and Instant Death Weapons.

UltraTacSgt

I am going to be running a Bike mounted SM Commander. Either a Captain or CM depending on the points in my list. My original idea was to keep him modest with AA and maybe Teeth of Terra, a Relic Blade, or a Powerfist, and bank on the T5 and 4++ to keep him safe. I have a healthy dose of AP2 or better shooting weaponry, so I think I could tool him for taking on weaker troop types of infantry and get away without Eternal Warrior. Lately though, I have been considering loading him for bear and giving him the Shield Eternal with a PF and having him capable of trading blows with just about anything.

My meta is usually free of people running net cheese lists, but most people are playing to win, so I expect to see some tough lists from most factions.

My question is, just how many different sources of Str10 or ID causing weapons are there out there that I am likely to see?

With that in mind, just how necessary is the Shield Eternal on a T5 model?

My question is, just how many different sources of Str10 or ID causing weapons are there out there that I am likely to see?

With that in mind, just how necessary is the Shield Eternal on a T5 model?

The ones I'd be most worried about are:

• Any kind of MC and Walker with DCCW
  • Demolisher Cannons
  • Wraithlord Cannons (or whatever the S10 ones)
  • Heavy Railguns (but those seem rare these days)
  • Manticore missiles (but they're AP4 so you're getting a 2+ save)

well any force weapon, theres quite a bit that has id on a 6 now adays, dreads, all wraithknights are s10 in cc and with a ton of attacks. for me I run 2 chapter masters and 1 always has the shield since I cannot afford him to be 1 shot when hes going to cost well over 200 points anyways. its always fun to watch eldar players cry when he solos their 300 point warlord and barely takes a wound or 2 in return (and mine usually heal em up afterwards :P )

Yeah, it really depends on how competitive your meta is, but if yours is not too spammy as you say you could try it out without the SE and see if it works.    

I have run many CM's in many forms now, and the beaststick is what he is = nigh unkillable and able to really mess up the other guys day, but in this form he kind of needs to be used against all those S10 foes to make the best use.

With the mobility of a bike though, you can actually be pretty safe in AA with bike and either the teeth (don't take a power fist if you arent going for the beatstick, better to abuse his I5), which is pretty snazzy for killing pretty much anything aside from MC's, walkers and other beatsticks/deathstars.   Or a relic blade but I would take the teeth.   Basically they are the same weapon but the teeth is slightly better (although slightly more pts of course).   Also  here you could downgrade to a captain as well to save some pts.

The best idea I can recommend is to magnetize the arms.   Get yourself a shield and hammer combo and another with pistol and teeth or something similar.   That way you can use both options and you wont be locked into a choice if you end up deciding you like one over the other.

what unit in a marine army can handle a wraithknight, assault termies, grav cents and grav bikers would cost nearly as much as a smashkill to have the killing power to do it, when the SE upgrade is just a 35 point cost (assuming ss already bought)

Archived