LAV-25 as Taurox (counts as)

Cod

What do you think of using a converted LAV as a taurox?

These two are armed with twin-linked autocannons, pintle storm bolter and HK missile and have been primed for a desert scheme. 

Was thinking of a small fast light armoured detachment of veterans (steel legion figures in tauroxes [LAV-25's]) and militarum tempestus platoon (scions in taurox primes [LAV-AT twin-linked missile launcher]).

They were originally intended for something else, but this would be just for fun friendly games.

I will still have my official pdf/guard army with chimera, tanks, infantry (cadians) to work on slowly.

Scale is all important..

Looking at the turret, I think they look longer and lower than the official taurox. I would not have any problem for friendly games.

http://www.hobbylinc.com/trumpeter-usmc-lav-25-piranha-plastic-model-military-vehicle-kit-1:35-scale-00349

Not sure this is the same kit.

It looks like the lav turret with 2 autocannons from the heavy weapons team glued on. It would be interesting to see if it was close in size to the Russ turret.

Aah Elmo, your eyes are still keen! Yes it's 2 autocannons glued on the front. SM missile stuck on turret side, and 2 bolters converted with mags stuck on top for the storm bolter.

I have yet to see a taurox in real life yet but yes I bet this is longer and lower. It is longer by a smidge than a chimera. The scale model is a 1:56 which is a bit odd. I will try take photos tomorrow with a guardsman for scale, and if I get a russ turret assembled will compare that too.

I had originally hoped to complete these for the treads and thrusters event too but we'll see, did have plans for imperial markings etc. Have to get my chimera done, but been distracted again with the new fw pics from euro games day ohmy.png

It was an idea. I get lots of those. Just can't seem to tell anymore the good ones from the bad biggrin.png

The turret looks like it would be roughly the same size as the chimera one but the hull is significantly lower and narrower. Not a problem in a friendly game ;)

And yes, it needs more bling :)

Hmmm ok. Well in looking it up I'm a little confused myself ermm.gif

The vehicles were bought earlier last year in person from a store that was closing down. I was visiting in the city which I rarely visit due to the distance away. As the kits were assembled mostly last year I don't have the packaging anymore. So I googled Lav kits to research them. What I found:

The Kitech brand has the same packaging, I remember the illustrated style image on the box.

All the Kitech Lavs say they are 1:48 scale.

The Kitech kits are motor driven, there is a AA battery motor inside them.

The receipts which I kept as 'souvenirs', say they are 1:56 scale. As this was all I had to go on I thought they were this scale. Now I'm wondering if they really were that cheap or if there was a mistake at the cash register! Not that it matters really as the shop no longer exists.

As the Lavs I have, all had motors in them and I can't seem to find any other kits with motors, I can only assume the kits really are 1:48 and the receipts were wrong.

They also had some BTR's too which I bought and painted for a xmas present for a friends sick son last year. They used the same chassis, so again I'm fairly confident now saying they must really be 1:48 scale kitech models.

The BTR's.

If it helps, the models are approximately 16cm long, and just over 6cm wide.

Good luck in achieving your idea!

Archived