Horus Heresy Pokemon Fan Game - Yes I am serious.

NoLats_McGee

Yes, I know how ridiculous this sounds, but hear me out. 

I've recently gotten right into using RPG Maker, and have downloaded the Pokemon resource kit. I've decided to mix one of my favourite time-waster games with my favourite fictional universe - Pokemon and the Horus Heresy.

My idea is you fight different legion members, elites, primarchs and they each have pokemon teams based off their legion characteristics. Primarchs will probably have legendaries. 

At the moment it will just be a battle simulator more than anything, but maybe one day I could give it a story.

So on the subject of ideas, what Pokemon would you associate with legions, characters, primarchs?

Please don't hurt me. 

Some of them are fairly obvious, but there might be some overlap that will make it difficult.

Like Death Guard and Thousand Sons for Poison and Psychic, respectively.

But then you have the Iron Hands and Iron Warriors, who both should have Steel. You can argue that the Iron Tenth could go Electric, but I think the White Scars to be more appropriately Electric.

For the obvious ones, I would say:

Imperial Fists - Rock

World Eaters - Fighting

Salamanders - Fire

Word Bearers - Dark

Space Wolves - Ice

But I think at some point, you'll eventually get Legions with types that are really stretching it, like Blood Angels to Dragon, because Dracula. And finally, you will have some that make no sense, like the Ultramarines to Flying. The last Legions without types will be stuck with Bug or Fairy. And there are no "normal" Legions to attribute Normal to.

It would be my recommendation to not go for the easy connections. Make the Death Guard Fighting and the World Eaters Bug. If you can't give all of them appropriate types, don't let any of them have appropriate types. Think of it like the 40k version of Conquest. None of the Warlords had a connection with their type. It was just attributed randomly, according to a hierarchy. It sidesteps the major flaw of later Legions having poorly assigned types by making which type is assigned not matter, and makes it more interesting because the player won't be able to predict which type the next opponent will utilize.

I have given this thought before actually. I guess being a fan of both makes it inevitable that I would think about combining the two.

Some obvious ones-

Thousand Sons- Psychic

Salamanders- Fire

Iron Hands/Warriors- Steel

Death Guard- Poison

Blood Angels- Flying

Space Wolves- Ice

However you'll have to get creative as making the Legion constrained to a specific type is really limiting. You'd have to do it by theme. For example, Gyrados and Exploud would be good for World Eaters as they are usually seen as angry Pokemon. You could find Norse themed Pokemon for Space Wolves (is there a wolf Pokemon?). Ditto is definitely Alpha Legion :p

Also, Dragon types should be reserved for higher tier trainers. For example Salamence would clearly be a Salamander.

Yeah, I did originally think about a type for a specific legion, but I soon came to the same conclusion that would be stupid, as well as limiting how creative I could get making this.

If anything, it would go off more of an aesthetic and combat style than just a type. World Eaters would have high physical attackers, and stereotypical 'angry' or berserker pokemon. Exploud, Primeape, Tyranitar..

Thousand Sons I could see having a lot of psychic types, but plenty of room for others. I always imagined Golurk, Cofagrigus and any 'smart' or automaton types would sit well with them. 

If anything, Ultramarines would have lots of starter pokemon, and ones commonly seen in battles. Vanilla teams, really.

I love the idea of the Primarchs having powerful legendaries which suit their legion, however. The Emperor himself would definitely train an Arceus :p 

• 2 weeks later...

Archived