Double Callidus Assassins

L30n1d4s

Anyone tried using two Callidus Assassins together for a one-two punch Alpha Strike? Against most squads, two Neural Shredder Templates (positioned exactly how you want them) will likely kill all or most of the models in a single volley, unless they have multiple wounds (like Thunderwolf Cavalry or Ogryns) or they have a high Invul save (like Hammernators or Seer Councils).

Besides the devastating initial shooting volley from two Neural Shredders, now the enemy has two very dangerous melee units right up in his face that he can only fire snapshots at for an entire turn. As the old adage says, always field units in pairs for redundancy and this definitely applies to Callduses.... if nothing else, at least one of them will likely survive long enough for a turn 2 assault and, if things go well, your opponent will split his firepower up to try and kill both of them and end up not killing either one ;)

If both Calliduses survive, either through luck, good tactical placement, and/or poor fire control by your opponent, then turn 2 you can charge in with another two Nueral Shredder templates and then 12 x WS8, I7 attacks, made at either S4 AP2 or Poison (3+)/Rending, depending on the target you are charging... not too shabby ;)

I really want to try a list of nothing but assassins. It would be pure evil. Even the evesor would be a treat (powersword and meltabombs), and the opponents would have a hell of a time with target priority.

Shoot, once I get a few more ill try double vinidicare, double cculexus, single screw-the-witch. It should be fun. For me at least. Haha

I think you can get one of the Callidus to survive, possibly even both, against most armies. But if you try this against an army that can shoot a ridiculous amount of shots at close range, even as snapshots they will probably be able to get some lucky wounds to kill at least one, if not both. That's a lot of points wasted, because you can negate an entire turn of shooting for cheaper than the cost of a Callidus.

To be honest, if you're going to run a pair of assassins, two Vindicare or two Culexus or some kind of mix would probably be more consistent and more effective, although they won't be nearly as spectacular a show as the Callidus. Especially the Vindicare. It's a shame because the Callidus is probably my favorite or second favorite assassin. I think her old rule of replacing a model was a really huge loss, like the Vindicare's wargear breaker, but I don't believe she got as many buffs as the Vindicare or Culexus did to make up for it.

Also if you check out 30K, the Moritat does this for much cheaper and much much better without the need to assault.

Archived