Cheers DSS7 Now to find something to join the wings itout making it look like an oversized Faberge egg!

And Squeaky, that is actually very helpful. I have been having a quick chat with Vykryl and trying to come up with a code or serial number for the NIght Fury based on Runic symbols.

Thanks TearsoftheRaven, I really appreciate your sentiment...

Any suggestions on how to paint the centre tail-fin. I want to give it a military vibe, a bit like the tail-art you get on modern jets...

I am going to leave the tail-fin a few days to see what percolates through the old noggin, but any ideas to add into the mix would be appreciated. I am erring towards keeping it really simple & sensible, so I might go with somethng like the picture Squeaky put up, or just some simple, some rune markers.

Didnt get too much done last night. Got most of the repaint on the ball turrets done as they were geting chipped and worn with handling. I have brushed on a coating of matte varnish over it. I have never tried it before.. Windsor and Newton acrylic matte varnish, seems okay, strong smell though.

Woke up and found one of the urrets out and the guns removed. It's fine as the guns are magnetised. I have decided to magnetise the turrets in aswell as the wee mounting pegs drive me mad esp if you miss them and most of the turret falls in the body. I tried to use some 0.5mm brass rod but it jams against the turret making it hard to rotate.

Fingers crossed magnets do the trick.

And I made a start on the pilot... He looks odd with a blue left pad, but we'll see how it goes.... I am having fun wiith this, I almost want to buy another Raptor just to try out othe new ideas....

Well not too much to update upon

Magnetising the turret was a nightmare of exploding superglue like proportions, but it works, kinda. I also put some colour coding on the guns so I know which goes where.

I also snapped the tail-fin in the ensuing Superglue debacle and glued it back together. I actually really like it without the centre fin, so we will see....

I also tried that fancy metal effect, like the Grey Knight weapons but more muted and less glowy. Not sure if it comes out in the pictures, plus I think I need to edge highlight in Runefang Steel.

Got the ball-turrets highlighted up. I tried blending to see how it would look. Its a lot more muted than edge highlighting and eats time, but overall I like it as it is more "realistic" and the pilot is more or less done, barring a wee highlight on the face.

How was your weekend??

P1010122

P1010123

P1010124

P1010125

P1010127

C&C most welcome :)

Not too much of an update.

Finished the turrets, got the metal in the rim done, got all the steelwork more or less painted and redid some paint on the gun.

Still not finished the pilot, butt made a start on the body.

I tried blending the greys, rather than my normal quick drybrush and its's come out... Well okay I think. it looks a bit soft and chalky just now. Had to stop as my eyes were losing focus and I was making mistakes. Went from Standard mech grey&black through to dawnstone and now at 50-50 dawnstone and administratum grey. About 8-10 coats.

A lot of areas are pretty rough, main,y the shadows, which I will go back and do. I am hoping the final few highlights will give it it's hard edges back.

What do you think so far? 

Honest criticism please. I want to know if I am going down the right path and if there is anything I can improve.

Thanks guys and girls...

P1010132

P1010133

P1010134

Quick update. Last night after Body Pump! Which I swear is a method of killing slowly and painfully I got a wee bit of work done. Shaky hands not withstanding...

Started the highlights on the main body, got one side slightly more done than the other. and almost as far as the front end, which means I can get the final edge highlights in at the same time to keep it all uniform.

Its splodgy in places, but I am getting there

SAM 2163

Thoughts??

Thank you brother excedis, I am glad you like the work so far, hopefully this will meet with your approval.

Well after dong my own version of 50 shades of grey (paint) I have finally finished doing the upper hull grey work. Needs a tidy up here and there still where I smeared a bit of the light grey into the dark, and I did start to rush the grey as I was burning out, but overall pretty happy.

This is overall my first vehicle sinca a land raider 5+ years ago I have wanted to paint and finish... I am hoping it will give me the motivation to start and finish the other 5 or 6 LandRaiders I have sitting around :D

SAM 2173

SAM 2169

SAM 2170

So this is the body done and with the wings awaiting highlighting. I am very tired of grey just now, so I have decided to move to another part of the model for a change, so bring on the underbelly of the beast.....

And its grey, but atleast of a different hue. I doubt I will linger over the underside, maybe just some drybrush and an edge highlight. Not much room for designs, so probably just the wings getting a small motif..... Oh and this :)

SAM 2171

SAM 2171v1

Do you like for the rear hatch? 1 should show a models eye view as it zooms over, the other should be how I see it as I draw and paint it.

What colour should I do it, silver, greys.... ?

Almost done!!

Need to outline a few spots, a wee bit of tidying up and then maybe a smattering more of silver.

SAM 2175

Looking good, or maybe a tint of blue or black required?

Thanks DSS7, Maybe a bit of blue then

I thought it needed something too, so I did a wee bit of a blue black wash around the dragons, and then used a very watered down dawnstone to bring the hatch back to its original colour...

SAM 2176

Darn flash bled everything out.... At least I know what a 40K SW Raptor would look like :D

SAM 2177

Just gives a wee bit of depth to the dragons might still put a wee bit of blue in the dragons recesses aswell.

It'll need to be done later as I have started packing up for going home tomorrow!!

• 3 weeks later...

Hey guys, I'm back again!

As I said before this will be quite cycicl, as when not offshore painting time is seriously curtailed.

Anyhoo, a quick update. Finally got an idea of what to do with the dragon wing designs running on to the upper hull.

So she has now gone from this.....

P1010116

To this....

P1010192

SAM 2189

SAM 2191

SAM 2192

Hope you like

Cheers DSS7 & Barabbas thank you. 

I am really liking the look of your Noctus infernae, background and models are awesome. I hope I am stunning you in a good way.

I am trying to build up to doing runic ID markers on the top flanks of my Raptor in Elder Futhark... To be truthful, it is scaring the pants off of me as its not something I have tried before.

So I practiced a big rune on the top hatch instead. I tried to do a glowy effect, but not sure if I pulled it off.

Would a red, flame glow rune be better with the warmer gold?

I'd really appreciate some tips on this please!!

SAM 2200

SAM 2201

Is glowy runes going a bit OTT?

C&C welcome

SAM 2202

SAM 2203

I know most folks seem to like the blue runes, but I did a bit of practice with the red and wondered whet you think of the red molten look?

I quickly doodled it out in 5 minutes on some card.

Red, or blue??

Also.. I saw this effect for the Raptor and I like it!!

How would I go about doing it and how hard could it be??? I am looking for advice please :)

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-xKJNc-SLcMQ/U9h8s6w_ibI/AAAAAAAAKb0/ht1IlnHqS4E/s1600/SOH_Fireraptor_Painted_11.JPG

Sorry for being so quiet, stressful time at work and being auditted has really taken it out of me this week, but I have been trying to get things done when I can

And to that end............... 

P1010224

Which rune looks best?

4 different styles, Top right has too much white, but that can be corrected, its the 1 that I am leaning towards myself

Alas the damnable stencil experiment failed.

I lost my cool and attacked the Raptor, ended up carving the runes into it....

P1010250

That too did not go well as you can see, and damaged a large area of paint around it. So last throw of the dice is this

P1010251

I'll build the panels up and etch the runes in, which will give me far more control over what is happening and hopefully not look too out of place.

I redid the top rune in fire

P1010252

And heat stained the hoses on top, I have no idea as to their purpose.

P1010257

Also working on something else to give me a break from the Raptor

P1010259

I am struggling just now with these accursed runes!!!

Do I go plain?

P1010269

Do I go dark to light?

P1010268

Or light to dark?

P1010270

Starting to get royally hacked off now.

Archived