Thank you Brother Excedis, DSS7 and Squeaky :)

So far here it is 1 for each and on the Space Wolves forum it is 1 for dark to light, and 1 for light to dark.

Its a tie between the 2 just now... 

The light to dark (picture 3) does look cool... Better than I thought it would be, but it also highlights my ineptness with GS. Going glowy just looks like a really hot mess!!

The dark to light (picture 2) was much easier to do and the glowy stuff on the frame hides my bad GS-ing, but light to dark looks better....

We will see.

In the meantime, | will work on some ideas for the main hull designs.

Then think about weathering.

P1010301

P1010303

P1010304

P1010305

P1010306

P1010302

So this is where I am at. I have tonight and tomorrow night to get this finished before going back home and leaving this till next trip out.

My main issue is the runes on the forward section, its still fairly close between which I should do I also need to do a design to go under the forward mini-wing and maybe something in front of the pilot.

I am thinking a great wolf on the sides, but should I do a bit more knotwork to go with it?

What do you think so far?

Thanks DSS7 :)

Does anybody know of any tutorials, specific to weathering fliers?

It feels a bit sac-religious to start beating up on her after I spent weeks getting her looking so nice, but the thrusters, tubing and guns are heat marked, it'd be hard to believe nowhere else would go unmarked, plus I want her to look halfway realistic...

• 3 weeks later...

Yay I am back to work!!!

Now for some peace quiet ad plenty of modelling.

I am taking a brief break from the Raptor, as I am starting to lose the mojo for it, and rather than make thew painting a chore, I figured I's start a side project.

So this is the prep and build work mostly done. Still a bit of gap filling to go. She is not fully built as I am going to paint and spray in sections to make life simpler. I am hoping to have learned a few lessons from the raptor, which I can put to good use with this.

My Sicaran, being prepped to track down the foes of the Allfather biggrin.png

SAM 2273

SAM 2274

SAM 2276

Its needed a wee bit of work. I am quite proud of the main guns

SAM 2277

They started off like this

DSCN2561

But I straightened them out. I still wasn't happy, so a chance visit to the local model shop (15 miles away) and I found some brass and aluminium rod and thoufght Hey, lets make new barrels. I ended up extending tem from 18 to 45mm and now they look the business for flyer/light tank hunting.

I also raised the turret slightly

SAM 2278

As it was catching and bumping off of everything and wouldn't rotate nicely, so a bit of plastic later (from an empty roll of ptfe tape) and it sits much nicer. Might raise it up a bit more, we will see.

SAM 2276

The guns are tight to the tanks turret so Ip,an to either use some small washers as spacers and move the guns out a bit then use rod to join them or magnets

SAM 2275

Lastly I will paint these circular sections as shields for when I don't use sponsons, just to make it decorative.

Thoughts?

Thanks guys.

A little sad hobby news today.... My Fire  Raptor went from this:

P1010302

To This:

SAM 2287

Drop test: Failed... Needs more Red Bull!!

Stupid wobbly desks!!

Good news is, that it makes it easier to paint designs on the undersides and also the sides of the body....

I, decided to make a start on painting the Great Wolf's symbol on the Fire Raptor while she is back in the body shop.

Early days!

SAM 2291

Also decided to try my hand at weathering/ paint chipping. Basically just marked all the dings in the paint etc with black for now, but will highlight and add metals to the bigger scrapes.

Hey Helter Skelter, thanks for the compliment! I may not have 6 million dollars but I do have the technology and she can be rebuilt :D

She'll live to terrorise another day.

Did I ever mention that I hate runes??

Had another go, what do you think?

SAM 2293

SAM 2294

A bit scrappy at the bottom, but not too bad. Will tidy it up when the eyeballs start working properly.

Do I do the Great Wolfs symbol to fit the black circle, or do I do it almost the size of the full circle so it overlaps slightly into the runes covering up the dodgy ones?

Is the black okay, or should I go for Grey to match the body panel?

Thanks Helter Skelter, that is some god advice,

Talking of the raptor, it has been boxed up, there is no glue and therefore no way for me to get her fixed up, I did do a bit more work on the Great wolfs design.

SAM 2312

I prefer the bigger wolf symbol as the smaller was getting too lost in the runes, The wolf will be a light greay as white si going to be too stark a contrast I feel.
What do you guys all think?

As the Raptor is in temporary storage, I am working on a wee side-project for now, which means getting a few half forgotten models worked on.

SAM 2313

The drybrushing originally went well, but with minimal handling the paint is coming off, so I am going back over them and blending the armour instead. Quite a struggl to get it even and natural looking. Fairly time consuming too, but I am hoping to feel a nice warm glow of satisfaction whenI get these done.

SAM 2320

SAM 2321

SAM 2322

SAM 2323

SAM 2324

I have found a good desk lamp for painting, but I think not so good for the photos..

• 4 weeks later...

It's been a while, but I am back... Happy New Year to everyone!!

Hope you all have enjoyed the festivities.

So a quick sitrep.

The Raptor is back in 1 piece almost, needs a tiny bit of putty work around the nose and its good to go, got the emblems on the side almost finished.

Did the terminator bases... Then realised I had missed out one of the steps in the painting of them, so the blue is a bit more severe than on previous bases, not sure if I should re-do them. Will post pictures tonight and let you decide. I also moronically forgot to bring the terminators heads so I could finish them off wallbash.gif However shields are done so besides bases they are 99% done dry.png

Got the Sicaran primed, so will prioritise this for the next week as the Solstice Advance is drawing to a close and I am way behind. Might get a very basic paint job and then come back and revisit it at a later date.

Made a start on Krom. A really nice model, did some red on the cloak and made a start on the golds, rest is very basic. Noticed after doing the cloak, that it has a few bumps, which I think are flock from hte basing wallbash.gif wallbash.gif double d'oh. I think I will leave it and try to hide it with weathering.

Not sure about the golds. Trying Gryphonne Sepia instead of Ogryn Flesh, as I have basically run out of Ogryn. Gives a different colour for sure! We will see how it progresses. How do you do your golds??

SAM 2354

SAM 2355

SAM 2356

Not much done tonight... Cold is grinding me down, but some progress nonetheless!!

Krom is starting to take on a bit of life ow, or atleast he is to me...

SAM 2358

SAM 2359

Got face and hair done, more or less and almost done with the trophy rack.

Got the first grey down on the Sicaran, but that can wait for another day!!

And started building me a Knight, so set up a new gallery with knightly ideas... Plan on using the bone black & red heraldic designs predominantly as and when I add to my lone knight to represent each one, just need a house emblem... Any ideas folks???

Oh and here is a little inspiration... Probably one of the best modellers and painters I have ever seen, Migsula.

And this is from his blog he has set up specifically for this project. You can find him on Dakkadakka I'll leave these here to whet your appetite

http://ironsleet.com/vlkafenrykadecember2014.jpg

My Solstice Advance vow is now underway.

Hit a few snags almost from the get go though... Leadbelcher has run out and I spilt my nuln oil so none left... However this is to be considered a challenge not a problem.

Going to try Agrax earthshade for shade and shadow, and just mix blak with iron breaker and try to keep it consistent.

This is where she stands just now.

SAM 2385

SAM 2386

However I need your help. This Sicaran is to be an honoured relic for 40K, but I want to use her for 30K and will try to weave a worthy saga.

First I need a name... Worthy of a Champion of Fenris.

Secondly I need some design help.

I keep  gallery of ideas, and I want to make her ornate without going over the top, plus time is limited. Any ideas on how I should mark her up?

This is my gallery

Help me make her look specialand worthy of a place in the halls of Russ

And this is her sister.... The majestic Night Fury. Who is almost completed and ready for her saga to be told

P1010316

SAM 2312

P1010306

Hahaha I guess you are right RPR

Smaller was better, so changed the knotwork over

Anyhoo, I am plugging away at getting my Solstice Advance vow done... Did the wolf on the opposite side to yesterday, same design, but look nothing alike really, grrrr! Saving Grace is that you can't see both sides at the same time

SAM 2394

, May try incorporating some black in to the wolf to tie it in with this....
I decided to do the runic rims, like on my Raptor, but had to make them bigger... I think it looks okay, tried dark at the bottom getting lighter with the gold as it goes up...

With or without the lascannon sponsons... I am considering either magnetising them or, using tem to make 2 Long FAngs with drumfed HB's :)

SAM 2395

SAM 2396

Top knotwork matches both sides now..

Made a start on the turret, trying for an aged brass effect, but worried this will look like a gold mess!! Any tips on brass, and I do not have any brass paints with me :(
Played with some heat discolouration just behind the muzzle brake.. for fun and to see how do-able it is, need to stipple some black on the end of the barrel too.

SAM 2397

This is to fit for 30 & 40K hence the nice grey... Any ideas on 30K wolves pack/ vehicle markings??

Archived