Hi Flint, yes she is indeed the Sicaran with the custom autocannons. Looks good doesnt it?

DOes the gold look too shiny?? The sepiaa wash really dulled out te gold, so I used gloss varnish.... I am wondering if satin or ardcoat might have been better...

I am trying to come up with a name for my Sicaran and I am struggling a wee bit, I seem to refer to it as "her" a lot so maybe a womanly name??

Maybe Russ was fond of his Shield Maidens... I am thinking to name it after a Valkyrie from the Edda's... Possibly Randgrid or Randgridr (shield breaker), Geirahod (spear battle) or Hjorprimul (sword warrioress or sword battle).

Hmm, maybe I should get 2 more Sicarans, and I could have the 3 sisters hahaha.....

Which in that case they could be named after the Norns (the 3 sisters living in the well of Urd beneathe Yggdrasil. The 3 are Urdr (What once was), Verdandi (What is coming into being) and Skuld (What shall be). Quite Apocryphal. Urdr sounds quite cool

It is a little bit of a break with tradition, as it seems that many vehicles are named after weapons (mjolnir for example), but she is a relic of a bygone age...

I do have a small confession about the runes around the sponsons, I spent 2 nights trying to do those and just about gave up on them, but sometimes you just get lucky/ resourceful.

I could draw/paint it okay on paper, and you can get stuff off the internet, outlines and such which you can print and the paint, which is what I did, plus on paper you can screw up as much as you like and not wreck the paint job, paint effects to try them out etc.

After almost launching the Sicaran across the office in a manly fit of rage (no high pitched ranting I swear) and a lot of "expletive deleted's", using the paper version saved my bacon, looked good and also covered up the horror show underneath... Pigging runes!!

I guess the moral of the story, is you should always keep trying to push yourself to get better, but it's okay when things do not work out... Just keep practising and if that doesnt't work, adapt and overcome.

I will say though, the wolf and knotwork were done by hand, so I am not a total fraudster hahaha... just takes practice smile.png And one day with practice I will get those runes nailed, maybe not as nice as these one's but one day... They will be mine!!

Did I mention that I hate painting runes!?!

Sigh, I didnt get off the rig today, the sea between the rig and Aberdeen was too rough, so the helicopters wouldn't fly here :(

Better safe than sorry though.

Meant I got a little more time to do some painting, so I finished up the wolf on the other side. It is smaller and looks similar but different (head more pointed down and smaller over all) but I still really like it and will not be changing it, besides, it'll be a rare player who can see both wolves at the same time ;)

SAM 2414

I also painted the front section in black as well as the front track section too..

SAM 2415

Here is where I need help... The black sections, I had considered marking it up as Long Fangs, but in 30K do they even have Long Fangs? Heoroth was the oldest Wolf at that time and considered a Long Fang, but I have no idea of Space Wolf markings for that time.

The other thought was to do a Grey Hunter symbol, as they are known to drive tanks from time to time and it gives me a nice re spot colour, like on the Raptor

Third option is to keep it black, but mix things up by doing steel/ silver knotwork instead of gold. However I am getting nervous that the model will start to get a little "busy" if I keep adding more stuff to it.

What do you think

1. Black and white Long Fang markings?

2. Red and black Hunter markings?

3. Black background with steel knotwork?

Oh and Valkyrie names... I gave you the 3 names I like, I also posted this up in the Space Wolves forum also and got a few suggestions from the list.. But I want to open it up a bit more, so let me know what you think please?

this is the most extensive list of Valkyrie names I could find, I didn't realise that everyones favourite fantasy barbarian was named after a Valkyrie (look at the bottom of the list):

Name is in Gold, description in blue and name meaning in Red

Brynhildr, she was also called Brünnhilde or Brynhild. She was a shieldmaiden and Brynhildr was the daugther of Budli. Bright Battle

Eir, she was a goddess and or a Valkyrie, she was associated with medical skill. Peace, Clemency, Help, or Mercy

Geiravör Spear Vör/Goddess

Geirdriful Spear Finger

Geirönul The one charging forth with the spear

Geirskögul, it was two separate or an individual Valkyrie. Spear Skögul and SkögulSpear Shaker or High Towering

Göll Tumult, or Noise Battle

Göndul Wand Wielder

Gunnr War or Battle

Herfjötur Host Fetter or Fetter of the Army

Herja Devastate

Hlaðguðr svanhvít, she was the sister of the Valkyrie Hervör alvitr Swan White

Hildr, she had the power to revive the dead on the battlefields, and used it to maintain the everlasting battle between Hedin and Högni.Battle

Hjalmprimul Helmet Clatterer, or Female Warrior

Hervör alvitr, she was the sister of the Valkyrie Hlaðguðr svanhvít All Wise, or Strange Creature

Hjörprimul The Sword Warrioress

Hlökk Noise, Battle

Hrist Shake, Quake, The Quaking one

Hrund Pricker

Kara The Wild, or Stormy One

Mist Cloud or Mist

Ölrun Ale Rune

Randgrior or Randgrid Shield Truce, or Shield Destroyer

Ráðgríðr Council Truce, The Bossy

Reginleif Power Trace, or Daughter of the Gods

Rota Sleet and Storm

Sanngrior, she has been the mentor of the Norse hero Sigurd Very Violent, Very Cruel

Sigrun Victory Rune

Skalmöid Sword Time

Skeggöld Axe Age

Skuld Dept or Future

Sveid Vibration or Noise

Svipul Changeable

Tögn Silence

Trima Fight

Thrud, she may or may not have been a Valkyrie, but there was a Valkyrie with the name Thrud. Thrud was the daughter of Thor and Sif. She is the half sister to Magni and Modi Strength or Power

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry for being away for quite a while, I got off the rig and Real life sort of took over in a big way.

By now I am hoping you are used to my cyclical postings. Basically I do 90% of my hobby work at well work (go figure!!)

I did ask the question elsewhere, and Togn kept coming up. While I like Geiravor and Hjorprimul. Togn "Silence" will be easier to spell and with those extended autocannons, I can imagine her as a hunter/ sniper.

Silence stalked the battlefield and after claiming her prey from afar, silence was all that was left....

Okay, moving on. I tried to get her finished up for the Solstice Advance and got her to a finished state which I am fairly happy with. I daesay I will come bak to her to tidy up the shading/ highlights and get rid of the decal on the hatch, but otherwise for now, she is ready to hunt

P1000022

P1000027

P1000028

P1000029

P1000026

Oh and she needs her Runic name added..

I am a bit burned out on grey, so the plan is to work on a side project and do some sculpty modelling and try to finish up some shields, heads etc to finally get my termies done.

However here is a sneaky look at my side project

SAM 2417

SAM 2418

SAM 2419

SAM_2422.JPG

SAM_2425.JPG

SAM 2428

SAM 2430

SAM 2432

Can you guess what it is yet??

Minor progress,

The Knight which will soon walk has a name, she is called Serpents Breath, after the sword used by Uhtred Uhtredsson, or Uhtred Ragnarsson in the books by Bernard Cornwell...

From the House Morhain dubbed "The Black Knights"

Now I just need to create a house symbol wacko.png

So, my minor progress....

SAM 2437

SAM 2438

SAM 2439

SAM 2440

Got the personal heraldry nailed down now, and have moved on to putting on to the pauldron.
I have also run a dirty great piece of rod between the upper and lower halves so I can paint it easily, but also get to posing it.
I messed up the legs a little but I have a plan for that.
What do you think so far??

Thanks Flint, it does look pretty good doesnt it??

I haven't done any weathering yet though. Fo some reason the bone colour on the shoulder was creamy like the leg armour, but afte applying the matte varnish it went kinda grubby!!

I have to admit I do like it, so t was a happy coincidence :)

Still need a house symbol, thinking along the lines of an Angels wing and something else.... not sure what though... Any thoughts or ideas??

Thank you Atia!

Your work is top-notch too!! I really like the Knight you have also just done!!

I am struggling for design ideas for a house symbol, too many good images out there... It's a shame to have just one house symbol, or can each knight have a variation of the house motif I wonder??

For example, a Skull with a dragon for one, a skull with a lion-ram-eagle etc?? Or maybe just keep these ideas for individual knights liveries??

Hey DSS7, happy very belated birthday!!

The dragon is neither a decal or freehand but a mixture of both. I painted up the reds as if the pad would be red like the other half.

I then drew out the dragon design on some Tamiya masking tape.... This stuff is the schnizzle, seriously, sticks down great, easy to draw on and cut, plus he glue is gentle enough not to rip off half the paint below it...

I cut the dragon dsign out of the masking tape and stuck it on the shoulder and then painted the black on, so the masking tape acted like a stencil in effect.

Once the point had dried, I peeked the tape off an voila!! A little touch up here and there and done.

And I have a nicely highlighted dragon.

Stupidly simple but very effective and quick.

OH I have had a brainwave about the House Design, and if I can pull it off will be a nice tribute.

My Grandad died on New Years day 2014, from pneumonia. When he died I was given land and a title. I am in effect Laird Taylor with a family crest, tartan etc...

I am not a true Laird or anything, it was one of those gift thngs where you buy a patch of land and you have deeds and a n official title to go with it. It gives me no privileges or anything (Although oddly enough I can use the title and the crest as an official letterhead).

Anyhoo, I have asked to have the crest emailed over to me to see if it would be viable to use as my house design, if so then yay!! I can use it to memorialise my Grandfather and I can also name the next Knight, which will be the head of the House after him too.

I have also asked for my book of names, so I an look for clan ancestors and maybe use names from that too..

Uh dude you have been very busy since I last had a peruse though your blog wow your motifs/freehand are stunning very jealous.

Now you have a knight awesome, personal if keep it to individual liverie but who's to say that doesn't take a more predominant place on the knight?

Hey Squeaky, long time, no see!!

How's things with you?

This Knight is practice, the next Knight will be the biggie I think ;)

Hi Targetlock, thanks for the compliments, hopefully more to come soon :)

Not much done tonight to show, maybe more tomorrow :)

Great looking army so far, Dantay!  The Fire Raptor and Sicaran are both looking like the boss.  I really like the markings/runes/freehands - the effect harkens to a long by-gone (Still to be?!? lol...) era when the Angels of Death enjoyed such splendor and grandiosity in their armories.

Looking forward to seeing more!

-W

Hey DeathbyWes. Thank you. That was entirely the effect I was going for.. These are revered relics, rolled out in times of direst need.

A sign of inspiration for wht the Wolves can aspire to become, but also a reminder of all they have lost

I will hopefully get back to the Wolves soon, but I am still being distracted by this monster!!

Not much progress to report for now.

Ballsed up the house symbol and left ripply marks on the shoulder guard which means it may need stripping in a fairy bath I'll give it 1 more go and if it gets cocked up again, its bath time.

However I did make a wee bit of headway on the leg.

SAM 2455

And the banner

SAM 2458

I am still trying to work out if I want to leave the torso plates plain or do some design on them, what do you guys and gals think?

Also, should I go for a whole, halved or quartered melon??

SAM 2461

Thanks for looking and let me know your thoughts

Archived