Infiltrating a Leman Russ Squadron

L30n1d4s

Well, I read the excellent article about Lias Issadon by Recius over on Frontline Gaming and it got the wheels turning... how to best leverage his guaranteed Master of Ambush WL Trait (i.e. gives Lias Issadon and 3 other units Infiltrate)?

Enter the LR Demolisher... actually, make that, enter the LR Demolisher SQUADRON !!! ;)

So, make Lias your Warlord and then use his ability to Infiltrate your 1-3 LR Demolishers within 18" of the enemy. Now, you could move 6" and then shoot another 24" for a net 30" threat ring, or you could just stay put, especially if you are in good cover, and blast away with you S10 AP2 pie plates. Throw in Camo Netting (to increase your cover save by +1) and also infiltrate a squad of some Bullgryns (they deploy in front of the Demolisher Squadron, providing a "bubble wrap" against enemy CC units and also another +1 to the Demolisher cover save... in normal cover, that is a 3+ cover save coupled with AV14 front armor).

From there on out, liberally drop Ordnance pie-plates on the enemy battle line, be it hordes, TEQ, MEQs, or any non-flyer vehicles.... not much should be standing after a round or two of triple Demolisher Cannon shots and the enemy will be on the horns of a dilemma: ignore the Demolishers and continue to get punished by their ridiculous firepower, attempt the long odds of trying to kill them with shooting (even a BS5 Railgun would take, on average, 6-7 shots to even get a glancing hit against AV14 armor with a 3+ cover save), or try and assault them (the most dangerous scenario, but the Bullgryns should be able to hold them up for long enough for the Demolishers to maneuver out of danger and/or you to counter-charge with your own combat units.

Anyway, I believe this is a pretty potent, but unorthodox, method of getting LR Demolishers into action from turn 1 and really threatening the enemy battle-plan in a way that may make him react poorly, setting him up for the the rest of your army to deal with.

Lias can be found in the Imperial Armour books. Below is a link to FW's character update, where you can read Lias' profile in detail:

http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/Downloads/Product/PDF/B/badabupdate-v2.pdf

And below is the link to Reecius' article, good read:

http://www.frontlinegaming.org/2014/09/20/meet-my-homeboy-lias-issodon/

Archived