simison

You have. 

I am re-reading Horus Rising just now, and the possibility of religion playing a positive role (as you broach it in the conversation) is interesting.

Plus, I have just reached that gut-wrenching part where Horus stands on the interex world Xenobia, looks into the sky and cries: why have you forsaken me?

Your rendition of the Emperor does not presume to fully comprehend him. Its feels as though we are only getting him as Alex gets to know him. That is probably the best way to go, but it does not come across as a fear-induced cop-out. For me, there is this tantalizing promise that the Emperor really loves Alex and might even trust Alex very deeply, but at the same time he does not feel that Alex is ready to receive dark knowledge of the warp. So I keep looking for more subtle ways in which the Emperor is trying to groom Alex for his role - given that he cannot be completely/verbally explicit. The result is a closeness, but a strained one. 

- At least that's what I'm getting. I suppose the reading is comparable to wine: sniff, sniff, taste = personal impression :tongue.:

Edited by Welcheren

I don't actually have any ideas - but I'm keen to find out.

I see bread crumbs in the armour, but mainly I enjoy being strung along to see how it unfolds. So I don't have any solid ideas yet.

Actually... while I am typing this, it occurs to me that a brilliant mind such as the Emperor's could calculate a myriad of special tasks for Alex.

BUT - he needs to see his son tested in practice, in order to ascertain his suitability for... whatever. So what I am saying (in a circuitous fashion) is that the Emperor himself might not yet have a hard and cast plan. 

After all, he did tell Guilliman to always have contingencies.

Edited by Welcheren

Alexandros studied the armor, imagining the possible symbols and crests he could engrave into it. After a moment, he replaced it in the chest before reaching for the sword and shield. They were heavier than he expected, but light enough to wield comfortably in battle. He twirled the sword between his fingers before banging it against the shield. Both vibrated as he tested their balance. 

"The power field within the sword will enable you to cut through any armor. The generator in the shield will protect you from most weapons, be it slugs or a salvo from a lascannon," the Emperor briefly explained. "Remember, these tools will reach their full potential when you wield them in conjunction with your psychic gifts. Channeling your psychic might through the sword will allow you to end most foes in a single blow. The shield may only face direction, but what will that matter if you always know which way the attack will come from?"

"Indeed, when will I have the chance to wield them?"

"Within the week. I mentioned that this was your final lesson. In twenty-four hours, we depart from Terra. Your command ship," the Emperor paused, "the Elpis, has entered into Terran orbit. I suggest you allow yourself at least twelve hours for ceremony and inspection. Finally, I recommend you chose a ranged weapon to carry into battle. While our level technology makes melee possible, there's little reason to hamper yourself by not having some form of ballistic weaponry. That choice, I leave entirely to your discretion."

Edited by simison

A few ideas buzzed around Alex's mind as he considered his reserve weapon. "Who will I be warring against?"

"The XXth legion has discovered the webway entrance that the xeno pirate fleet uses to raid your home system. Your objective will be to eliminate the webway portal and annihilate the xeno forces."

Old Memories of battles on Delos asserted themselves as Alex remembered the foes that had given him the necessary cause to unite the planet. With a bloodthirsty grin, he said, "I'm looking forward to this."

"I will be joining you," the Emperor replied. "Only as an adviser. You will be chief-in-command for this campaign. From overall strategy to battle tactics, it will be your vision, and your execution. Prove yourself to the Imperium and to your legion that you are ready for the Great Crusade."

What should have been a daunting task filled Alexandros with excitement as his mind jumped ahead to logistical issues. He paused as he forced himself back in the present. "I will not fail you, Father."

The Emperor smiled. "I know you won't, Alex." He gestured to the conservatory's door. "You have much work ahead of you, you have my leave to begin."

Alexandros bowed before the Emperor before he walked toward his destiny.

Edited by simison

Thanks for the encouragement.

I always viewed the Primarchs putting their marks on their respective legions to be a gradual process. So, while Alex had some say in his flagship's construction, he won't make it completely personal until a little time into the Great Crusade.

So, I'm getting ready to start the next chapter and find myself stuck on the first page. Can anyone tell me or direct me to a good source on how bridges are like on imperial warships?

There was some good bridge stuff in one of the horus heresy books, Horus Rising I believe. Talked about some of the stations and bridge personnel and layout for the vengeful spirit bridge.

There was some good bridge stuff in one of the horus heresy books, Horus Rising I believe. Talked about some of the stations and bridge personnel and layout for the vengeful spirit bridge.

Chiv is correct. I'll try to find the page numbers, but it's fairly early on, following the subjugation of 6319.

• 3 weeks later...

Chapter 3: First Strike

Alexandros preferred to call it a meditation chair.

Yes, it was located in the center of the bridge, while the captain’s throne was seated closer to the fore. But that was because of how the bridge was arranged. When viewed from above, one could see that the bridge was shaped like a lotus flower with each petal corresponding to a different expertise. The central pedal held navigation and weapon systems and the captain’s throne. The left pedal was their communications hub, while the right hub handled engineering. At the point where the three pedals overlapped was Alex’s chair.

Yes, it looked more like a throne than it did a chair, especially since it was larger than the captain’s throne. But no decorations adorned beyond a single golden gem above where Alex’s head would be. Some said it looked like an apple, but its actual purpose was a focusing tool for Alexandros’ powers. So long as he sat there, he could see and hear farther and further.

Yet, because it did look like a command throne, Alex avoided it, knowing he would only sit upon it when it was time to call upon his powers. Until then, he situated himself next to the captain’s throne. The man granted the honor of being the Elpis’ first captain had distinguished himself in the Campaign against the Sultanate.

Edited by simison

Hierax had been serving aboard the Jutland Spear as a lieutenant. His captain died during an ambush early in the Sultanate campaign, during one of the first pushes into the asteroid field protecting the Sultanate. Despite the terrible first blow done to them, Hierax quickly assumed command of both his ship and the squadron, rallying them to counter-attack. Although his squadron lost a frigate, they were able to deal twice the damage done to the enemy and paved the way for the IInd legion to invade Asteroid M4-78. 

Since then, Hierax has had a long career of exemplary service, promoted into steadily larger warships. While the Elpis was under construction, he was serving as XO on a battle barge, the Hammer of Albyon. After reviewing his record, Alexandros believed him to be the perfect commander for his personal warship. 

The sections seem fine to me. 

Maybe it's just me, but I am not picking up any Treky vibes. 

One way of addressing that is to add bulkly servitors with cables snaking out of them... and Gothic arches... and cathedral spires on the outside, maybe even stained glass.

The man could've been considered handsome by conventional standards were it not for the plasma burn covering his right cheek and the cybernetic arm that replaced his burned one. A leftover reminder from his fifth battle on the Albyon. Thanks to his injury, he wore no facial hair but allowed a brown fuzz to cover his head as his amber eyes flitted through reports. He glanced up at the window that formed a quarter dome over the bridge, allowing everyone to peer into space.

He addressed his primarch, "My lord, we've confirmed the intelligence reports. The portal is located on the fourth planet, IG-88, at the bottom of a large canyon in the southern hemisphere. We can have it secured in three hours."

Alexandros shook his head before scratching his red beard. "No. If we do that, then we'll never destroy the Kabal. Xenevo always sends a scouting party first before moving out in full force. Hide the fleet behind the moon. Our best chance at ending this threat is to lure them from the Webway before destroying the gate. Once that is accomplished, we can slay them at our leisure."

"You already have a plan, my lord?"

"I do," the Primarch admitted. "I've already alerted logistics of my requirements. All I'm waiting on is the list of volunteers. We're going to have a small detachment of the Imperial Army act as though they are surveying the planet for the Imperium with a detachment of Riders hidden amongst them. Xenevo will discover them and won't be able to resist attacking. The moment the last xeno is clear of the Webway portal, you are are to destroy it from orbit. Once done, the rest of the Storm Riders will deploy from the fleet, protecting the remaining Imperial Army units, and finish off the Miasma." 

"My lord," a new voice said. Alexandros turned around and looked down as a Lieutenant saluted him. "Sub-Commander Wilhelm reports his unit roster is completed. They will be ready to deploy in a few hours, at your convenience, my lord."

"Excellent," Alexandros replied. He glanced back at Hierax. "Captain, in twenty minutes, a full tactical plan will arrive to debrief you on both the ground engagement and how the fleet's role in the upcoming battle. If you notice any deviations, you have my permission to address them as you see fit. And please alert Captain Ricksher that I want him and his company staff to report to Briefing Room 16B in forty minutes."

"Aye, my lord," Hierax answered with a nod, as much as one as his implants would allow.

Alexandros gestured to the Lieutenant, "Mr.Bowditch, if you would lead the way?"

Lieutenant Bowditch twitched in a uniform that had never seen battle, much like its owner. "My lord?"

"I wish to meet the men and women who will be accompanying me to battle. Please, lead on," the Primarch explained with a small, mischievous smile.

"Of course, my lord!" Bowditch said before doing an about-face and marching to where his new unit was.

Edited by simison

While armouries could provide the room for squads and other small elements to conduct unit maintenance and mission review, for anything larger, they simply lacked the appropriate space. During his studies and interviews, Alexandros had learned that space marines often held their assemblies in hangar bays, their strong vocal chords and enhanced hearing able to counter the typical bedlam. While Alex agreed it was possible, he preferred such meetings were held in areas with fewer distractions and had commanded the Elpis host a number of mustering halls. It was in Hall 26C, he found Wilhelm and his volunteer unit.

Five hundred Solar Auxilia filled a fraction of the hall as they were engaged in a myriad of activities. Most were involved in equipment inspections, while several tericos were finishing up roll calls. Taking a deep breath, the sandy-haired Bowditch put an end to all of that as he shouted, "ATTENTION ON DECK!" With a speed and discipline that would've earned a grudging nod from an astartes sergeant, the entire unit dropped what they were doing and all came to the position of attention.

"At ease!" Alexandros replied. "Carry on with what you were doing."

An order apparently hard to carry out as many of the infantrymen couldn't avoid stealing glances at the towering primarch. Alexandros mentally snickered as he noticed one female trooper who was absentmindedly putting her rifle barrel in backwards. Sub-Commander Wilhelm, a dark-skinned man who was as new to his rank as Bowditch was, and two Troop Masters promptly marched up, flashing salutes. "My lord, I wasn't aware you would be inspecting my unit. I apologize for its current state."

Alexandros waved it off. "No apology needed, Sub-Commander. I'm here to personally debrief you and your unit on our upcoming deployment."