magnets

Commissar Uri

I know that magnets are the way forward with my hydra/wyvern thing. Thing is I don't know which magnets I need. I am looking at hobby craft as there is one near me. They have magnetic tape amoung other things so I ask you, people of the imperium that doesn't YET exist... what type should I buy and if not from hobby craft then where? Btw I'm in the UK

I don't have much experience magnetising vehicles apart from a Dark Eldar Raider (did the sail, gun turret and gun barrel) but have magnetised Crisis Suits in my time, and of course Marines. 

I personally use Rare earth "super strong" 2x1mm disc magnets from ebay. I got 500 for less than £5. You need a 2mm drill bit, and essentially drill a hole 1mm in depth, drop in your magnet with some superglue, and you're done.

I've never encountered magnetic tape before, so can't really comment on its pros and cons. However,my gut feeling is that it isn't overly professional looking, and drilling a hole for a round magnet would look better, but would probably take more work, so it's up to you how much effort you want to invest in your tank(s).

Hope this helps

Dallo.

P.S.

Just had a look around the interwebz and this article may be of use to you.

http://www.miniwargaming.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=109858

There is work going on in the background on magnetising tutorials for Guard vehicles. Something should be happening in a week or so.

I use N52 rare earth magnets from Spider magnets on eBay. They are UK based and their service is great.

I use cylindrical magnets and have now settled on the following standard sizes for all my vehicles and figures (diameter followed by height)

2 x 1mm

3 x 1.5mm

6 x 2mm

Without giving too much away and dampening the impact the upcoming work, I am at liberty to say that if you can get your hands on a pin vise or variable speed hobby drill (ie Dremmel) with a speed at the lower end of 5000 rpm along with a 1, 2 and 3mm HSS drill bit it would help ;)

Please don't ask for any more info as the commissar is pointing a bolt pistol at my head and glaring like Clint Eastwood on a bad day unsure.png

What you want is a pin vise. Regular drills are cumbersome to deal with on miniatures. A dremel could work too but generally they spin way to fast and can rip the model out of your hand.

Agree that a dremmel is a little bit difficult to handle for a beginner but absolutely a god send for if you do magnetisation on mass along with barrel drilling.

Out of my 3 large armies I have melted the plastic twice and that was due to a blunt drill and carelessness on my part rather than the drill. They where easily fixed with greenstuff then after I had finished banging my head on the workbench in shame, I drilled them out correctly :)

Archived