jokaeros

pathatrick

It seems to me that as an alternative to space monkeys, you could do "counts as" Jokaero using a variety of different things. Maybe a ratling toting a lascannon, a multimelta, and a heavy flamer (the stat line matches up) or a Squat similarly armed using a fantasy Dwarf engineer model as a base. I'm not up on Squat fluff at all, but if they're basically space Dwarfs then that might match better fluff-wise than a Ratling. Or just make up some other new/exotic alient. The fluff is pretty clear that there are all sorts of bizarre minor races out there. For these you could use any third party model and explain any scaling issues away by that just being how that race looks next to humans.

As for whether an Ordo Xenos inquisitor would allow a Jokaero or other alien to live, it all depends on the inquisitor and his ideology/disposition. Just as there are some Daemonhunter inquisitors who believe it licit to "fight fire with fire" and bend daemonhosts or daemon weapons to their use, so too could an Ordo Xenos inquisitor make use of xenos gear or even include xenos in his retinue. A particular inquisitor need not even be a radical, per se, but may have some theory on why certain xenos are benevolent or harmless and may be used as intelligent pets, whereas others are dangerous and must be destroyed. With all sorts of variations and shades around these few ideas I've thrown out there.

I use AT-43 Karman - Anakongas. ..   There's one with a wrench that captures the idea pretty well, imo.  About twice as big as the gw model, so if your opponent is picky, then you may have a problem.  But I haven't met someone whose been upset by the size difference yet.  

I recieved the Axis Gorillas from my FLGS yesterday.  They are already built, attached to bases about 32 mm or so (normal base is 28 mm).  They're a little larger then GW Jokaeros, but not enourmously huge.  They're also very angry looking.

EDIT:  They're also MSRP of 14.95 USD for 3 of them.  That is certainly a factor.

• 3 months later...

Looks great. Been looking at those too as I'm not keen on the jokaero model. There are others too, non-pioneers I think, without the weapons etc. Both look good alternatives.

Can you use a 40K base with them or is it easier to leave the original in place?

Also, Can you post a size-comparison pic with it and a 40K model side by side?

Wanted to open up a similar thread, found this one instead, lol.

Well yes, AT43_UB_Anakongas look great but don't fit well into the 40k style imo. I find the whole jokaero / ape concept stupid, fluff and appearance wise. Are there any other options then apes? What about abhuman models? I would use obliterators but they are too grotesque. Hell I need something to run with my stormtroopers... The main problem are the different weapon options,  I think.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello

As well as the usual space monkeys, I use an Empire monkey ammunition carrier, the hairy chaos familiar, a C.A.T. (the strange tracked machine thing from Space Hulk) and the little guy from the Skullz Mechanicum set. The only reason that I don't use Watchers is because they already have a 40K use (if a trivial one).

• 2 weeks later...

Archived