Tips and tricks for slaying Heretics

Quicksilver117

Good morning everyone. I am pretty new, so I'd like to ask and find out how people are dealing with certain tactics of our xenos and heretic foe. specifically,what is the best way to deal with heavy deep strike or drop pod lists? in your experience, is there a certain number of squads that make the purchase of the vox casters worthwhile? And what are the best psychic options to roll on with a Primaris psycher? last, is a kind of rules clarification, can the Astropath roll on anything but telepathy?

Good morning everyone. I am pretty new, so I'd like to ask and find out how people are dealing with certain tactics of our xenos and heretic foe. specifically,what is the best way to deal with heavy deep strike or drop pod lists? in your experience, is there a certain number of squads that make the purchase of the vox casters worthwhile? And what are the best psychic options to roll on with a Primaris psycher? last, is a kind of rules clarification, can the Astropath roll on anything but telepathy?

Deep strike and drop pods:

Combined infantry of 4 squads, 4 Grenade Launchers, 2 Autocannons, 2 lascannons, ADL with a quadgun and an Icrus lascannon joined by Inquisitor  Coteaz. That should shred anything that gets close.

I also like to spread out my Infanrty to force deep striking units away from my core tanks.  Bubble wrap as it's called.  I don't want anyone getting into melta range of my Hydras or Russes without paying dearly for it.

Vox:

I put on in the Company Command Squad and 1 in each combined infantry platoon.  They are cheap enough that I usualy take one with at least one Platoon Command.    Vets have a better leadership and I alo use them as my forward units so they are often out of Order range so I rarely if ever give them a vox. 

Witches:

I go with Devination for my psykers.  You can't go wrong with Prescience; any thing else you roll is gravy.  

Astropaths are limited to Telepathy and Daemonology.  Everyone gets Daemonology now (see basic rule book) but IG will suffer a perils of the warp on any double.

Fib makes good points. Against drop podding and the likes numbers is your greatest strength; use them to absorb hits with cheaper units and provide a counter punch that takes the wind from their sails. Using infantry squads to force landings in certain areas is a good idea too.

Voxes should be only for units that will use them, but with orders it's generally best to go all in or not bother so you'll probably be buying quite a few voxes if so. Divination is a good default as Fib said as prescience is very handy :)

Vanquisher should be popping tanks fine with the cannon, upgrade to a hull Lascannon and it should do better. Sponson weaponry doesn't match the long range AT role, but if you have the points a pair of multimeltas will make the tank nasty at 24" (and nastier at 12"!).

^depends on the tank, vanquisher generally not, executioner all the time, punisher always wants more shots, I prefer the autocannon and eradicators cheap, so no sponsons there.

Vanquisher should be popping tanks fine with the cannon, upgrade to a hull Lascannon and it should do better. Sponson weaponry doesn't match the long range AT role, but if you have the points a pair of multimeltas will make the tank nasty at 24" (and nastier at 12"!).

Vanquishers should take LC all the time, its only 10 and doubles their efficency, esp. in case of a vanquisher tank commander.

If you feel funky add flamer sponsons for another 10. They are so inexpensive and squishy deeps strikers will think twice to come down near your gun line. Cheers to Arianna Flint for this tip. See his/her great post about tanks here:  http://ig4tw.blogspot.de/

I fear 'crons and centurions so much more than DS Melta. Sigh.

Personally I never add(ed) sponsons to any Leman Russ tank. While they do not break the bank, they aren't cheap either. Usually my LR are in a squadron. Combine that with a very mobile gameplay during Maelstrom, my tanks often find themselves in a position where one sponson is covered up or simple at a wrong angle. Adjusting too far would expose the rear end of a tank.

If I buy a Russ, I do it for the main gun (hence why I only ever use Executioners, Demolishers and Pask in a Punisher). Saving all those sponsons usually allows me to buy an extra tank. That makes me happy :)

Archived