Help me make a viable list based on 3 platoons.

temneb

Hey guys.

For years I've wanted to model an army based on an Australian infantry company in Vietnam. Now Madrobot miniatures has produced the figures to make that possible.

So I'm looking for help to create a viable foot based list at 2000pts.

The base for the list must be 3 platoons, and the model count around 110-120 men.

My start point was

CCS,

3x priests

3x platoons

PCS & 3 squads

Can an army like this be anything other than camp and shoot? Is there a way to make it competitive?

I'm happy to add air, tank and artillery support.

Help me come up with a strategy to base my list around.

Cheers

Ben

What a great idea, you'll be glad to know that you don't have to stand and shoot. Rapid Fire weapons can fire once at full range after moving so yomping around the table is something that is possible now. You could mount them all in Chimeras too if you wanted :) Squads with just special weapons are cheap and mobile, and you could have lots of them!

You will find movement issues with so many troops though, so you'll need to build your list with that in mind. So some tanks or artillery that doesn't need to move, or fast units to range in advance for example. Outflanking Sentinels would also be very useful.

Yep, WF is on the money msn-wink.gif

A combined arms approach seems to work better in 7th edition.
Being able to take and then hold objectives is a large part of being successful, so mobility will be important. Chimeras are good for getting units upfield. Units that deepstrike (scions) can be great too.
If you really wanted to use a static force you could try and win through attrition, but will need defensive strategies big time. Use fortifications, use terrain, use command advisors to change reserves, use psykers etc to affect re-rolls. It can be difficult!
Good supporting elements for infantry could include:
Heavy artillery = Wyverns.
Valkyries/Vendettas = Huey transports/gunships theme.
Some other infantry options might be useful like:
Veteran squads with 'forward sentries' doctrine.
Veteran squads with 'grenadiers' doctrine, in a chimera.
Veteran squads with 'demolitions' doctrine, in a valkyrie/vendetta.
Conscripts. They can be surprisingly hard to move, especially if kitted out right, with priests or commissars.
Is there a particular Aussie infantry company in Vietnam you had in mind?
For example if you were to say 6 RAR (6th Battalion Royal Australian Regiment) D Company, then I would know you mean to portray the Battle of Long Tan. So you would need heavy artillery support and apc's also for a more complete theme.

Originally I was thinking of D coy from long tan. But I gave it up because, 108 men is very specific and hard to replicate, and if I go all in then I tend to want to represent things exactly. In the long run I'll mock up some M113's to proxy for chimeras, but for now just the grunts and a couple of bigger conversions. If you know your history think Belmoral and Coral, infantry supported by tanks and artillery. I've though about modeling Nui Dat (fortress of redemption) and going defensive?

This is what I've got,

Bolters will be represented by M16, lasgun=SLR, plasma gun=M60, auto cannon=.50 cal

Company Command Squad: vox-caster; medi-pack; regimental standard; 4× camo gear; + 1 Company Commander (boltgun; camo gear);

+ 1 Astropath (laspistol)

Ministorum Priest: autogun

Primaris Psyker: Mastery Level 2

Platoon Command Squad: lasgun; 3× meltagun; vox-caster; + 1 Platoon Commander

• Infantry Squad: vox-caster; plasma gun; + 1 Sergeant (boltgun; power weapon; melta bombs)

• Infantry Squad: plasma gun; + 1 Sergeant (boltgun; melta bombs)

• Heavy Weapon Squad: 3× lascannon

Platoon Command Squad: lasgun; 3× meltagun; vox-caster; + 1 Platoon Commander (boltgun)

• Infantry Squad: vox-caster; plasma gun; + 1 Sergeant (boltgun; power weapon; melta bombs)

• Heavy Weapon Squad: 3× autocannon

Platoon Command Squad: lasgun; 3× meltagun; vox-caster; + 1 Platoon Commander (boltgun)

1 Vendetta Gunship

Leman Russ Squadron

• Leman Russ Vanquisher: lascannon; camo netting

1,845 points

As the above two people have said. It is possible.

Would having a CCS and vet squads as a vet platoon be an option too? Demo charges would be fitting for jungle warfare.

Defiantly an option, but will require me to get good with plasticard! I've thought of running 2 CCS and 6 vet squads as 2 platoons, using demolition charges to represent artillery support.

Archived