What regiment?

Hi all. I'm looking to start guard in a month or two, unless I get into it It will just be to accompany my marines. So here's my question, should I use vostroyans steel legion or Death korps or Kreig models? I would use DKOK but their so damn expensive! Steel legion seemed like the next best thing. But what does the forum think?

If they're a part of an allied detachment, I'd go for a non-death korps army. That way you can use the AM codex instead of IA. Steel Legion is always fun, but I hope you like Missile Launchers and Grenade Launchers in your unit.

Though you didn't mention them as a choice, if ease of modelling is a factor then I'd suggest at least basing your models around the Cadian kits.

I say basing as you can always convert and kitbash to get an original look.

What I'd first suggest though is to think about what kind of regiment you want to make. Not only models but image and background.

What inspires you?

Often I see threads from members asking frater which marine chapter they should make, which guard regiment...

I often wonder if, unable to choose an army themself at the start, will these members have the enthusiasm to build and paint a full army months down the line?

My last point would be that, should you choose Steel Legion, Krieg, Cadian or whatever, remember that they don't actually have to be a Steel Legion regiment, a Krieg regiment, a Cadian regiment... Paint them up in a completely different scheme and make up a new homeworld if you wish.

Just because you use DKoK models doesn't mean you have to use the Imperial Armour rules.

I say use whatever models you like best -- you'll be painting a fair few of them even as an allied detachment. Don't let price stop you from getting DKoK if they're you're favourite. As Sir Henry Royce once famously said: "the quality will remain, long after the price is forgotten."

It was painful when I bought my Death Korps models but now 3 years later that pain ls long gone and I love those models!

I myself created my own regiment, because according to me no fluff beats my own. Now I do realize that not everyone has a vivid imagination. I use Cadians because I like them( that's right you heard me, I confess to thislaugh.png). By the way I also like the look of the Valhallans. I have a soft spot for them as they were my first Guard army, damn now I got nostalgic againlaugh.png

Archived