Chimera Turret Options?

Nuclear Fridge

I've started painting some Cadians for my brother's IG force, and I'm not impressed by the turret weapons given in the Chimera kit.

I've seen the Forge World autocannon and twin heavy bolter turrets, and I'd like any information on their point costs - and if they make much of a difference on the tabletop. If they're worthwhile, I'll use some Cadian heavy weapons I have spare to modify the turret.

We can't give you exact costs, but the rules are presented in Imperial Armour Volume One: Second Edition. The recommended way to get them is to buy the book from Forge World...

The Autocannon turret is a good buy over the Multi-laser, though I can't remember the T-L Heavy Bolter's cost off the top of my head.

I've used the auto cannon turret with my DKoK since that is the only turret option in their list. I honestly haven't found any significant improvement in performance over the multilaser turret. I don't think I'd pay anything extra for it but would take it if it were available for the same points.

Chimera tutorial link

There is nothing stopping you from playing with the magnetisation a little and using a chopped down Assault Cannon from the heavy weapon team to replace the multi-laser rather than buying the FW turret. The FW turret does look good though ;)

They are very close in most things. Both have the same chance per shot to kill a marine. Both cause Instant Death against T3 but not T4.

The big difference is the AP value and number of shots. However, against armor 5, two wounds from an autocannon are the same a three from a multi-laser.

There is a slight nod towards the autocannon due to range and better ability to remove armor 4 models. But for all the weapon options with a chimera turret, the autocannon is the only one you have to pay extra to get. The autocannon is a better weapon against somethings. The multi-laser wins against others. Is an autocannon worth a multi-laser and 2 guardsmen?

What cinched it for me was that there are still places I go that do not use Imperial Armor rules. Between that and the weapons being virtually equal except for autocannons having marginally better results against necrons while the multi-laser has more shots to kill marines meant it was not worth the few extra points to me.

2 48" S7 shots help a lot to deal with transports though! i absolutely love my two chimeras equiped with an autocannon turret. in some of my last games they have been absolutely amazing, such as on the occasion where they hurried forward in the first couple of turns, only to turn their turret 180° the other way around and shoot a dreadnought into oblivion in its exposed rear as he deepstrikes by droppod in my gunline, leaving his rear exposed

An alternate supplier for the Autocannon turret is here

It says it is for a Predator but unfortunately I can't tell you how much modification you would have to do to get it to fit sad.png

Here is a link to Rob451's tutorial where he has fitted an Autocannon Predator turret to a Chimera.

Just something to think about...

The autocannon is a good weapon, slap a lot on Chimeras to make them mobile and you can lay down a withering hail of shots. What makes the autocannon popular is the ability to handle light to medium armour so if you can afford it (both points and pounds) you will likely get a lot of return from autocannon Chimeras.

One thing Multi-Laser / Heavy Bolter Chimera is good at though is killing Storm Shield Terminators or Storm Shield Thunderwolves with high strength, low AP (which doesn't make a diff against 3++) volume of fire.

If you're like um.... Heretics and such....

One thing Multi-Laser / Heavy Bolter Chimera is good at though is killing Storm Shield Terminators or Storm Shield Thunderwolves with high strength, low AP (which doesn't make a diff against 3++) volume of fire.

If you're like um.... Heretics and such....

No no! No heretics here, no...

Great advice though, blessed battle brother! *Cough, cough.*

In my experience with nine multilaser chimeras and as many autocannon infantry/veteran squads as I care to field, the autocannon is DRAMATICALLY better against vehicles and monsters.  I don't really count on the AP4 of the autocannon very often, but the pip of strength is usually far more important than the extra shot.  Against AV12, which is the standard against which I measure my antivehicle shooting, 50% more shots is garbage compared to 100% more "at least glances," and if it's a pen, yay, there's a slight chance of crew stunned or immobilized (weapon destroyed rarely does anything earth-shaking).  In a rule-set that relies on grinding off hull points, as opposed to the catastrophic lucky shot, two S7 shots trump three S6 shots every day of the week, and twice on Sundays.  JMHO, YMMV.  I would pay the meltagun for the autocannon upgrade if I had room in my paint queue to reasonably get nine replacement turrets painted before the apocalypse.

Slightly OT:

Are there some useful FW options out there? I can probably buy directly from FW at the 'Spiel' in Essen this Thursday, and I was wondering if there are some useful FW part out there 'for us'.

Are there?

I should have said that the intended foes for the Cadian army is a Tyranid hivefleet. That's going to begin with a horde of termagants & hormagaunts (I inherited a bunch of half-finished models) before moving up to include the likes of the Tervigon & Mawloc...

The heavy flamer turret is gone, but not a big deal if you're using the new Chimera kit. There's just the autocannon turret which wasn't made for the new kit, so Chimera upgrades are a bit thin on the ground to say the least.

Against 'nids heavy flamers are great. BBQ your way through everything with just your transports, protecting your troops and leaving you free to concentrate on bigger guns for the bigger beasts - what's not to like?

A Techpriest in the Chimera would be handy. For 105pts, you get a Heavy Flamer that can move 12" and fire, or two if you move 6".

I have a metal Techpriest and a handful of servitors waiting to be glued & painted, so I'm going to use this idea! Thank you! biggrin.png

Handy if you want a Chimera to range forwards with some Veterans in or something similar, the Techpriest could keep it going longer too but if it's a fast big flamer you're after you may as well spend a bit more for a Hellhound and get a lot more for your points.

I own a pair of hellhounds...they seem to be rare enough that people have no idea what they are...no knowledge of AV12 side armor and when I mention the torrent turret, they immediately assume S6AP3 and then scoff when they learn it's "only" S5AP4, it's insane what a sleeper they are... They're godlike, though.  Move 12", lay the point of the template 11.9" away and the fat end of the template is a good 32" from where you started, with S5AP4...FANTASTIC for roasting cover-hugging superscorers like SM scouts, and most people just look at it and think "flamer...template...way over there...not a threat.'  Being able to move 24" (total) in lieu of shooting is also extremely useful, if situational.  Two situations come up quite often...an unclaimed objective pops up on the maelstrom cards, it's within 27" of the hellhound.  Score!  Or, when I'm facing MEQs, parking sideways in front of a land raider full of thundernators (or whatever) on turn one is MONEY!  Sometimes, delaying a key vehicle's maneuver by a turn  or forcing it to divert through dangerous terrain, plus forcing him to focus on what's in his face, not what's in your deployment zone really changes the flow of the game.

I do use hull heavy flamers on three of my nine chimeras.  It's surprising how often I'm happier with the heavy bolters, though.  The flamers generally do nothing till at least turn three, and even then come in handy maybe in one out of five games.  The 36" range of the heavy bolter lets the chimera sit and shoot from distance, which also makes it easier to hide that AV10 side armor.  Six S5/6 shots from behind superscoring AV12 is cheap at the price, and if you've  got an autocannon firing from the hatch, potentially at a separate target, so much the better!  

I generally like my flamers to come in the form of a hellhound...moving 12" and firing both the hull mount and the turret is so much nicer than moving 6" and firing the hull heavy flamer while snap-shooting the turret weapon...that's another thing...a turret heavy flamer would be useless in combination with the hull-mounted one if you move the chimera!  That's probably why it was dropped as a turret option.  Sure, with a techpriest on board...but that's a HUGE tax for very little benefit!

My problem with the hellhound is the local meta. Everything is either Knights, +2 save stars of psychic doom (centstars and seer councils that may have re-rolls), and flying shenanigans (either massed flyers or FMCs.) Every army that doesn't fit into those three categories is packing tough characters to screen for fast and hard hitting units. This is not where the Hellhound shines (though the Devildog might have a place against the knights...for one turn.)

Archived