Oz Vietnam era Astra Militarum

temneb

Hey guys.

This will be be a diary for my imperial guard build. I've been wanting to do this for ages and, the guy at Madrobot has made that possible by creating his NAM range and making a rifle type on request for me. I can't recommend them him enough.

The army will be based on an Australian infantry company from the Vietnam war. Eventually I'll be adding some vehicle models, to represent M113's, Centurian tanks, Huey's Howertzers and US F4 phantom air support. If you any of you are good at scratch builds, I'd be appreciative of any advice. However for now it is just the infantry. Today I'll share my test models as soon as I figure out how to upload photos.

Cheers

Ben

I'll second Toomanyprojects' recommendation of oregano for leaves. Excellent stuff. Makes models smell so nice too :D

For tall grass try cheap brushes from a pound/dollar/hundred-yen store, or check a model railway shop. I got a load of tall grass (about 3" long) very cheap that I cut down to whatever length I need. Not likely to get through it for years.

Another vote for using a cheap (hand/dust pan) brush for the grass. Try to get the one with the natural bristles if you can. You will get hundreds of models out of one brush so well worth the small outlay.

And... hmmmm SLRs.... brings back memories (but that is just my age showing smile.png)

Thanks guys. I hadn't thought of a brush. Will get on that.

Another vote for using a cheap (hand/dust pan) brush for the grass. Try to get the one with the natural bristles if you can. You will get hundreds of models out of one brush so well worth the small outlay.

And... hmmmm SLRs.... brings back memories (but that is just my age showing :))

I missed out on the SLR, was a little dissaponted until I realised the styer was lighter.

Why don't you use ,Rhino's since they loook like M113's. I also believe that  your best bet for rice paddy style grass would be at model rr,stores. Tall grass could be from aquarium plastic plants. This an idea that I have had in the back of my mind for years,but I would base it on, Khe Sanh. I like your choice of the madrobot, while I have been checking out ,Victoria Miniatures myself. I will be following your progress, I hope you will provide the motivation. I have been thinking of shelving my current ,Guard to start all over again. 

Why don't you use ,Rhino's since they loook like M113's.

Great idea thumbsup.gif

The one outside GW Nottingham is based on an FV432 but they look fairly similar anyway.

There is a thread on Dakkadakka discussing using scale models of real AFVs. It might be worth checking out...

But there is something so reassuring about the 7.62mm elephant gun smile.png

I wouldn't consider 7.62mm enough of an elephant gun but yes - it rocks.

Also, back on topic, I was thinking the Valkyrie (if you want to stick to 40K as the base model) might be a conversion option for the Phantom if you can figure out a way to reposition the engines, flip around the wings and make a single tail.

As for Howitzers - you already have the Basilisk, that just needs a new gun emplacement base (or get the static Forge World ones).

As weird as it sounds - the Storm Raven could make a Huey. Just leave its sides open and replace its turret with a Rotary. Could also use its tail for the Phantom.

Why don't you use ,Rhino's since they loook like M113's. I also believe that your best bet for rice paddy style grass would be at model rr,stores. Tall grass could be from aquarium plastic plants. This an idea that I have had in the back of my mind for years,but I would base it on, Khe Sanh. I like your choice of the madrobot, while I have been checking out ,Victoria Miniatures myself. I will be following your progress, I hope you will provide the motivation. I have been thinking of shelving my current ,Guard to start all over again.

I was taking to Victoria Miniatures just as Madrobot released the NAM range, she was open to creating some options to help me out. Have a look at the madrobot range, though just the helmet heads from the NAM range would be a nice touch for such a force.

Also, back on topic, I was thinking the Valkyrie (if you want to stick to 40K as the base model) might be a conversion option for the Phantom if you can figure out a way to reposition the engines, flip around the wings and make a single tail.

As for Howitzers - you already have the Basilisk, that just needs a new gun emplacement base (or get the static Forge World ones).

As weird as it sounds - the Storm Raven could make a Huey. Just leave its sides open and replace its turret with a Rotary. Could also use its tail for the Phantom.

I'd thought fleetingly about the valk as a Phantom, it's got the bent wings already. I'll put a bit more thought into it. Rhino as M113 won't require to much work, I agree. I'm a little bit dubious of the storm raven though, I'll have a look at it though, it would be welcome to save me some work.

{ valk as a Phantom, it's got the bent wings already. I'll put a bit more thought into it. Rhino as M113 won't require to much work, ]

I think the ,forgive me for this"Ork Fighta Bomba", as a better choice for the ,Phantom. Put a nosecone on,and add to the wing,to change the geometry. The tail would be  fairly easy to adapt. The ,Valk would be great as a , Vendetta,( Spectre), or Spooky, Puff. I was wondering if I would be able to use the turrets from the firestorm in the ,Valk, for my, Spectre. The pilots and canopy for the ,Ork fb, would be difficult as well.

Oh, and it only be a single turret on one side, for my Spectre.

{ valk as a Phantom, it's got the bent wings already. I'll put a bit more thought into it. Rhino as M113 won't require to much work, ]

I think the ,forgive me for this"Ork Fighta Bomba", as a better choice for the ,Phantom. Put a nosecone on,and add to the wing,to change the geometry. The tail would be  fairly easy to adapt. The ,Valk would be great as a , Vendetta,( Spectre), or Spooky, Puff. I was wondering if I would be able to use the turrets from the firestorm in the ,Valk, for my, Spectre. The pilots and canopy for the ,Ork fb, would be difficult as well.

Actually, those Ork Fighters could also look like the old Mig-17s lol.

Actually, those Ork Fighters could also look like the old Mig-17s lol.

Actually I've seen quite a few conversions of this on the Internet.  Like these below: First is from Dakka Dakka "http://www.dakkadakka.com/gallery/496637-.html"

http://images.dakkadakka.com/gallery/2013/5/16/496637_md-Bomber,%20Flyer,%20Imperial%20Guard,%20Looted,%20Ork%20Abuse,%20Orks.jpg

The 2nd is also from Dakka Dakka

http://images.dakkadakka.com/gallery/2012/8/16/402180_md-Bomber,%20Conversion,%20Dakka%20Jet,%20Fighter,%20Modification,%20Swing%20Wing,%20Swing%20Wing%20Dakka%20Jet%20Swing%20Wing%20%20Fighter%20Bomber.jpg

@ temneb 

Check out "The Assault Group" the make same pretty nice heads as well.  But more importantly they make US Vietnam era Kit.  Rucks, Ammo Pouches, etc... etc...  I've used their Rucks on my IG as well as some of their heads. 

Archived