Thinking of starting Militarum Tempestus

SyNidus

So, I'm thinking of starting militarum tempestus...the question is, how can I go about building up a force on the cheap?

I've tried eBay, but since it's relatively new, there doesn't seem to be many floating of these guys floating about.

eBay probably won't have much for a while as you said, they're a bit too new. However given that the army isn't an easy one to play (or rather, not one for easy victories) then if you wait you might see some disgruntled players putting their models up for sale. That said, Guard players tend to be devoted and will likely be going into the army with both eyes open plus the army is a bit niche so I wouldn't be surprised if little appears (plus the models are cool). I'd say keep a beady eye on eBay but treat it as a way to top up your army rather than bulk buy.

Online sellers will be your port of call, there's only one box set (Militarum Tempestus Storm Scions) but that will provide a lot of your models for you. Find a couple of these on a reseller and you'll save even more money, you can sell the Valkyrie and Commissar if you don't want them.

The glory boys cost per man is very high, and ebay won't save you amuch money right now, but the scion storm box is great. That box by itself is I think about 1k. For an IGish army that really isnt bad. Otherwise forgeworld grenadiers would be cheaper: http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/Warhammer-40000/Imperial_Guard/Death-Korps-of-Krieg/DEATH_KORPS_OF_KRIEG_INFANTRY_AND_ACCESSORIES/DEATH-KORPS-OF-KRIEG-GRENADIER-SQUAD.html

They work out to marginally cheaper per man, but dont give you the weapon options.

If they are not your only army the bits and weapons alone justify the extra cost.  If they are your only army I think you will have a long ebay wait as most people will cannibalize their unwanted Scions to be something else.

Seconding the Battle Box.  It's a great buy for starting a Scion army.

Archived