1850 Space Wolves

Grim Dog Studios

Hi all, I've been trying to write a fluffy list for a 30k SW force, but its been a battle. I really wish we had the Prospero book out soon tongue.png .

Anyway, after spending a chunk of time on battlescribe I've finally created a list I think I am happy with, however it could be utter rubbish for all I know happy.png . Here it is!

HQ (110pts)
  • Legion Centurion (110pts)

Artificer Armour, Combat Shield, Psychic Mastery Level 1

• Consul

Librarian (Force Weapon)

Troops (770pts)
  • Legion Tactical Squad (265pts)

14x Legion Tactical Space Marines, Legion Vexilla, Take an additional Chainsword or Combat Blade

• Legion Tactical Sergeant

Artificer Armour, Melta Bombs, Power Weapon

14x Legion Tactical Space Marines, Legion Vexilla, Take an additional Chainsword or Combat Blade

• Legion Tactical Support Squad (240pts)

Legion Rhino Armoured Carrier, Legion Sergeant, 5x Legion Space Marines, Plasma Guns

Elites (720pts)
  • Contemptor Dreadnought Talon (260pts)
    • Legion Contemptor Dreadnought (260pts)

Extra Armour, Legion Dreadnought Drop Pod, Plasma Cannon

• Legion Mortis Dreadnought (135pts)

Two Twin-linked Autocannons

• Legion Veteran Tactical Squad (325pts)

Legion Rhino Armoured Carrier, 9x Legion Veteran Space Marines, 2x Melta Gun, Outflank, 4x Power Weapon

• Legion Veteran Sergeant

Artificer Armour, Power Weapon

Heavy Support (250pts)
  • Sicarian Venator Tank Destroyer (250pts)

Armoured Ceramite, Lascannons

Any help would be greatly appreciated, as I've already started building and painting the core of the force such as the troops! smile.png

Hi there!

Can you take Legion Drop Pod without Orbital Assault RoW?

Lone Rhino was easy first blood in 6th edition, now it's more durable, but will suffer from long AT fire. Or will it be in reserve?

I assumed the dreadnought pod could be taken, just re-read it's rules and I can't see anything saying the RoW must be taken, however I could be mistaken.

And the rhino won't be in reserve. The librarian was going to take divination and roll with the support squad so it could blast away at smaller units of terminators if there were anyway. 

Your points seem a little off to me:

Legion Tactical Squad is about 251/253 (depending on how you are doing the sgt's ccw weapon) vice 265

The support squad looks off by ~30 points too.

So, it looks at first glance that you could get more boots (paws) on the table. Get to cutting threads and making that red snow!

Mazzy.

Your points seem a little off to me:

Legion Tactical Squad is about 251/253 (depending on how you are doing the sgt's ccw weapon) vice 265

The support squad looks off by ~30 points too.

So, it looks at first glance that you could get more boots (paws) on the table. Get to cutting threads and making that red snow!

Mazzy.

265 is correct for the Tac squad, but good catch on the Support Squad - should be 210 for that.  On a side note, the option to take an additional CCW must be applied to the entire squad, including the Sergeant, regardless of whatever other weapon swap options you are doing to the Sergeant.

I think it looks good actually. It certainly feels very wolfy to me. You are going to have to figure out a way to keep your legion support squad alive, as they will be everyone's first target, but they are still potentially awesome.

My only querry is the Venator - you've added sponsons. Now I don't have Extermination, so I'm a little hazy on its rules, but I've read people commenting that you can't fire the main gun and the lascannons simultaneously. If this is the case, I'd drop the lascannon sponsons, and consider upgrading your mortis to have lascannons, or even to a contemptor. I think this will add extra punch and AA, while the contemptor chasis would make it more durable (and cooler.- cooler is important). Another option could be getting an apothecary for one of your packs, just to protect it on the slog up the table. Good luck though!

Is that 30 points for the extra marine, i might not have made it clear enough but there is 5 marines plus the seargent. My bad for not making it clear if that is the case1

Ah, yes, that would account for it.

Kor'Vesh hits on another excellent point.  The main gun on the Venator is Ordnance, and will cause the lascannons to fire as snapshots on any turn that you fire the main gun - thus sponsons on the Venator are largely worthless.

I think your Contemptor loadout is a little schizo.  You want to drop pod him in to get to face-punchin ASAP, but you've given him a Plasma cannon, which would tend more towards some mid-ranged fire support?  I'd either double down on DCCW (possibly with plasma blasters or something) or ditch the drop pod.

I think you need to go back to the drawing board with your assault squad.  That's a bit too expensive, IMO.  325 points in a metal box and 10 power armor bodies.  It's also a melee squad in a non-assault vehicle with no vexilla and with meltaguns.  Meltaguns... are probably an okay choice, but it's always something you should stop and think about with how much armored ceramite one sees in 30k.  No vexilla could be overlooked if you were choosing Fearless for the squad, but you've got them Outflanking, and you obviously want them to get into melee with the number of power weapons you've piled onto them, but Rhino instead of Phobos (or similar) for a dedicated assault squad?  Not only will the expensive squad have trouble getting into melee, it might just break and run (and potentially get wiped) once it gets there.

I have taken your guy's advice and changed my list up a bit. Removed the sponsons from the sicaran and gave lascannons to the mortis, I kept him as a regular mortis as I would really like to use the SW dreadnought FW sell. I have also replaced the plasma cannon on the contemptor for another CCW and given him two plasma blasters. I have also removed the veteran squad as like kitwulfen said it was a very large points sink, they were really only there because Iike the idea of a squad of elite wolves flanking the enemy and back field units such as artillery that may not have armored ceramite, or heavy support squads hence the power weapons. However this now leaves me with an extra 315 points to use. Any suggestions what to do with them? All I can think of at the moment is adding another duplicate tactical squad and slapping an apothecary modeled to be a wolf priest on one of the squads.

HQ (110pts)

• Legion Centurion (110pts)

Artificer Armour, Combat Shield, Psychic Mastery Level 1

• Consul 

Librarian (Force Weapon)

Troops (770pts)

• Legion Tactical Support Squad (240pts)

Legion Rhino Armoured Carrier, Legion Sergeant, 5x Legion Space Marines, Plasma Guns 

Elites (405pts)

• Contemptor Dreadnought Talon (290pts)

Dreadnought Talon

• Legion Contemptor Dreadnought (290pts)

Fleet

Dreadnought Close Combat Weapon with inbuilt twin-linked Bolter, Extra Armour, Legion Dreadnought Drop Pod, 2x Plasma Blaster       

• Legion Mortis Dreadnought (155pts)

Two Twin-linked Lascannons (30pts)

Heavy Support (210pts)
  • Sicarian Venator Tank Destroyer (210pts)

Armoured Ceramite         

EDIT: Just another quick thought instead of possibly running 3 15 man tactical squads, I could run 1 large 20 man squad and then two 10 man squads in rhinos, which will put three rhinos onto the field, so my plasma squad rhino doesn't stick out like a saw thumb?

Archived