Best Heavy Support choices?

Naryn

OH MY GOD! With Iron Warriors, you can take Heavy Support Squads as troops.

I just made a list with 4 10 mans as troops and 3 10 mans as Heavy support all with Volkite Culverins and all with Augury Scanners. +3 Masters of Signal.

70. Volkite. Culverin. Equipped. Troops.

...Thats a potential 280 Volkite Shots. 3 of which will be at BS5. I also gave all the Squads Hardened armor. For mobility you could give them all Rhinos too if you either cut Hardened Armor and Artificer armor on the Sarges.

...Granted this is at 3k points flush. All but 1 squad has Melta Bombs too, just in case. Then again, I'm not sure if the HS in troops count as compulsory selections.

This may cut down on the volkite spam a bit...

OH MY GOD! With Iron Warriors, you can take Heavy Support Squads as troops.

I just made a list with 4 10 mans as troops and 3 10 mans as Heavy support all with Volkite Culverins and all with Augury Scanners. +3 Masters of Signal.

70. Volkite. Culverin. Equipped. Troops.

...Thats a potential 280 Volkite Shots. 3 of which will be at BS5. I also gave all the Squads Hardened armor. For mobility you could give them all Rhinos too if you either cut Hardened Armor and Artificer armor on the Sarges.

...Granted this is at 3k points flush. All but 1 squad has Melta Bombs too, just in case. Then again, I'm not sure if the HS in troops count as compulsory selections.

This may cut down on the volkite spam a bit...

VOLKITES FOR TEH VOLKITE GOD!!!

Well, I could be entirely wrong and might be an error that I have to inform Millicant of; but when I chose Iron Warriors Legion rules in Battlescribe, Heavy Support squads were moved to Troops as well as heavy support.

Thing is I didn't take a RoW since all my HQ were Masters of Signal and the IW entry is pretty far from DG to make that kind of a mistake :p

But, given that you can do it with the DG RoW....

Everyone on this thread is drunk. I kind of love it.

"I'm not as think as you drunk am occifer!"

*ahem*

Iron warriors only get an extra HS slot, whereas Death Gaurd taking the reaping RoW can take heavy weapon and veteran squads as non mandatory troops choices.

Alright, problem solved.

List is with Death Guard RoW, and only 5 Heavy Support Squads with Volkites Culverins and 2 (potentially) minimum sized Tac Squads. Unless there are more than 4 troops slots.

Sooooo...200 Volkite Culverin Shots either way.

I'm sorry, I cannot hear the original question over the sound of all the Martian death rays...

+++Glorious music of the Omnissiah, be praised+++

As for tanks.  Land Raider Proteus are only 200 points.  That ~50 point discount is huge.  In a 2,000 point list taking a squadron of three is a mere 600 points of all round AV14 fun.  Not a bad investment for the points you spend.  If you have Predators you can sandwich them between the Land Raiders so their side armor never is shown to the enemy if that side armor really worries you.  The middle Land Raider behind the Predators could even be an Achilles if you really like this and have 100 spare points so you can Machine Spirit the quad mortar into some poor target and not bother with silly things like LoS.

You could conceivably run a half dozen or so Proteus and still have a strong 2,000 point list.  That kind of spamming of AV14 is hard for many armies to deal with, although some won't even notice their flaming wrecks, but it is a fun thought to throw that kind of armored might, especially if you take the Rite of War that makes them dedicated transports.

Then there is the possibility of running four Spartans each with a flare shield and armored ceramite, a Praetor, and three ten strong Tactical Squads all for a measly 1,910 points.  I mean a little excessive perhaps, but some list will have absolutely no possible way to deal with this while others might call it an easy win (beware lance and haywire).  Although swapping out a Spartan for a Typhon with armored ceramite and downgrading the Praetor to a Centurion (net gain of 20 points) might be a better idea here. 

While on the Spartan spam (spam is relative here) a variant of the aforementioned would be three Spartans with the flare shield and armored ceramite, three ten strong Tactical Squads, a Centurion, and then to really worry most people, add a Primarch.  I personally prefer Perturabo and Night Haunter (although the latter is jump infantry so I don't think he can ride) as my Primarchs of choice, but really any Primarch of 530 points or less will work here.

Well, if you want a clown car list, have I got the thing for you!

It only has 3 Spartans and 3 Contemptors, but hey, 66 angry marines with extra CCWs...

http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/295668-murderface-a-slipstream-list-named-by-depthcharge/

Archived