Grav guns, pistols, combi in Tactical squads ?

GreyCrow

Hi guys ! I haven't had the chance to try out the shiny grav weapon so far and from the numerous discussions I've read around here they seem better suited to Relentless or Slow and Purposeful carriers.

I'm curious to see, after a year since they became available, what is the experience of B&C members with grav weaponry in Tactical squads. How do they work ? How do they help Tactical squads do their goal ? Is a Grav gun with combi-grav an effective fire platform ?

Anyhow, let's share your tactical experiences with grav weapons in Tactical squads ! :)

I think the general consensus, as you said yourself, is that they belong on Relentless platforms, whereby they are very good weapons. As Black Cohort says plasma is still better for tacticals. I'd forget about using grav in tactical squads tbh.

Thanks for the comments guys :) I'm probably going to be leaning for plasma then, it's to equip a 5 man Tactical squad in a Las/Plas Razorback, so the synergy is going to be there nonetheless.

Now, as a side question, in terms of loadout synergy between the Sergeant and the special weapons Marine, I'm wondering about whether I should upgrade a combi or a pistol of the same type as the weapon worn by the special weapons marine ?

The advantage of the combi is that when you shoot it you double the amount of the volley, but the pistols, even if more expensive, allow you to equate or increase the number of special shots starting from 2 turns of shooting. The main advantage I see is that I saw this Tactical squad more as a support squad primarily oriented for firepower but that can double up as an assault support (albeit less effectively), and the plasma pistol ensured getting a special shot before charging in. Obviously, I would go for a gunslinging sergeant (special + BP) rather than a single pistol and a chainsword.

What's your take on that ?

As the sarge comes with a bolt pistol and a boltgun, you can swop out the boltgun for a combi-plas, rapid fire that combi-plas when disembarking and still get in a bolt pistol shot before charging in the next turn, and then ever after he still has his combi which he can use as a boltgun. All that saves 5 points, plus you have greater range with the combi-plas for extra flexibility. Only thing you will lose is one CC attack. But the unit including the razorback is going to do better in a fire support than CC role anyway.

That is true, but once you've shot the combi-plasma, you can only shoot bolters, while the pistol allows you to get an extra shot the next turn and still charge after. I agree with you however in the sense that will likely do a lot less good in assault than in shooting because they are so few !

If you are only running it as a 5 man squad in a razorback, once they disembark from the transport their survivibility goes down significantly, meaning you aare probably only going to get one or two rounds of shooting anyway. If you were really concerned about maximizing output for two turns, perhaps take two combi plasmas? Comes in at about 5 points more than taking the plasma pitol, with twice the shots, or extended range over the same time period.

If you are only running it as a 5 man squad in a razorback, once they disembark from the transport their survivibility goes down significantly, meaning you aare probably only going to get one or two rounds of shooting anyway. If you were really concerned about maximizing output for two turns, perhaps take two combi plasmas? Comes in at about 5 points more than taking the plasma pitol, with twice the shots, or extended range over the same time period.

That is an interesting suggestion, I didn't remember that we could switch both the melee and bolt pistol for combi-plasmas... I can see that working pretty well, and a cool model on the table (not holding 2 combi plasmas, but rather having 2 plasma combis on a single boltgun :D )

Archived