Shattered Suns: DW Killteam! Spots available! 12/25/17

Vazzy

WIP: Indigan Praefects

34969093114_64f3f48f7d_z.jpg

[Captain Zlado Nicun-337th Indigan Praefects]

35768444986_cb3f42b62f_z.jpg

[unnamed line trooper-Archamus IV]

For me, sometimes, the best thing about plogs like these is spotting the references and inspirations. Arianna/Tomas, R.E Feist's Riftwar saga?

Dragonlover

:whistling:

Edited by Vazzy

EXILE

"The Chapter deploys to Archamus. And yet, my men and I are sent to a backwater agri-world. Why is this Brother? Why have you forsaken us? what have we done to deserve your scorn, your disdain? We did not choose to be born this way!"

"And yet, you were. You will serve with honor, as the Chapter demands. Ioyowa is a an important part of imperial supply networks, and we reciaved a request for aid in dealing with Xenos raiders. So you will go."

"I've seen the reports, one combat squad could-"

"I don't care. As members of the Fifth, you will go where ordered. I have tried my best to drop you straight into the thick of this war, and have suffered for it. Ten dead. Ten warriors each having served at least a century, due to your inexperience. So yes, you are being sent away. You can't get valuable warriors killed there."

37490828510_42ce1e279a_z.jpg

The return of the Primarch saw many changes made to the Space Marines of the Imperium. Most chapters found themselves reinforced by the new warriors of Arch-magos Cawl: these so called 'Primaris'. In many chapters, these warriors were greeted with open arms, quickly integrated into the battle line. The Shattered Suns were not such a chapter. Initial deployment of Primaris forces not only led to heavy casualties amongst there number, but also accounted for nearly a dozen deaths amongst the 5th company. Following this disaster, save for a few select warriors, Captain Xertius would send the remainder of his new blood to Ioyowa.

37717327882_7c99e892a7_z.jpg

[intercessor Sergeant Hypax, I Squad (Primaris), 5th Co. 7 years active service]

The Primaris Cohort, led by Voted Captain Mercator deployed to Ioyowa, bitter disappointment in their hearts. This was a duty that mere mortals could have performed.  But they did as ordered, and on Ioyowa, they slaughtered the Void reavers that had been terrorizing the population. Upon achieving victory, the Primaris would find themselves thrown into a war they had not been meant to fight. Within a week of the greenskin purge, a distress cry rang out in one of the neighboring systems: a tyranid hive fleet tendril had begun to lay siege to Valkar II.

37490831850_1cba3f927d_z.jpg

No force of Shattered Sun Primaris had engaged the Great Devourer in combat, especially not a force this potent. Arriving in orbit, Mercator realized that Valkar II was lost. He led his forces to the planet, and ordered the evacuation of the 10 million citizens residing on the planet. The Shattered Suns sold their lives desperately, and managed to hold off the Hive fleet for over a month, at great cost of Imperial lives. 

37490830330_44bb2dc6d0_z.jpg

Upon hearing this achievement, the Chapter Master of the Shattered Suns granted Captain Mercator full leadership of his strike force, and all the duties that entailed. While this would be considered to be an honor by many, the Primaris realized what the 'reward' truly was: Exile. By sending the new company on missions throughout the sector, the Chapter Master had effectively removed the Primaris from the chapter. Nevertheless, the new warriors did their best to adapt to the culture and traditions of the Chapter, striving to return as Champions of Humanity. 

37490829220_6547eb16bd_z.jpg

[sergeant Hypax: KIA- Monmouth//Heretic Boltgun to cranium//+35 years//]

Edited by Vazzy

Very good choice of model for your Inquisitrix and I love the fluff that accompanies her pictures. The story about the Primaris getting exiled is fantastic and a bit heart-wrenching too. Being rejected by the very people they strive so very hard to please. Damn.

Keep up your excellent work. :tu:

Very good choice of model for your Inquisitrix and I love the fluff that accompanies her pictures. The story about the Primaris getting exiled is fantastic and a bit heart-wrenching too. Being rejected by the very people they strive so very hard to please. Damn.

Keep up your excellent work. :thumbsup:

Thanks Dos! Question for you and anyone else who is reading this: Do you think the Primaris should stay unweathered to represent their realative inexperience? Or should they be as battered as their veteran brothers? This is a bit of a conundrum so I'm all ears!

Exile: Valkar

"How long has it been? How long has it been since we received new orders from Chapter Command?"  I of course, already know the answer to this question. It has been 5 years. 5 years of silence. Our armor of course, is perfectly maintained, nary a scar or blemish. I would not have it any other way. Honor Squad Justus joined us shortly after our exile began, for they too were not at Aftui. I pity them more than any of us, though they have done a remarkable job in ensuring we know the identity of our chapter. 

I promised myself I would not allow bitterness to seep in, to taint the glorious honor bestowed upon. But this was not how I wished to die. Denied by the chapter of my birth, exiled to die forgotten, and unremembered upon a world far from the Emperor's light. I feel betrayed. I cannot deny it. I was told I would be a hero of the Imperium, the paragon of Mankind. I have tried. But amongst the stars, we know nothing but war. For every citizen I save, it seems two are lost. It wounds me. I suspect that we would be welcomed back  should we return. I have heard rumors that Primaris have found themselves as part of the brotherhood now. Yet, I feel like I cannot. Not without a significant victory to show. I need them to know that I- We can and do operate at the same level. 

+++Personal Diary- Ignatus Mercator, Captain, V Company+++

37768488801_abcf1599ca_z.jpg

"Valkar. Of course I remember it. How could I not?" 

He sprints under the suppressing fire of his squadmates, bolt rifle letting loose a stream of shells. The rounds slam into the towering Tyranid warrior, green ichor spattering the concourse I squad had moved into. The synapse creatures around it ceased their rapid movement forward and mulled about like a lost dog. In the lull, he moved into the house next to him. Inside, ten mortals cowered, one or two clutching battered prayer beads, the rest wearing expressions of supreme dread, slowly morphing into relief. The smallest, a child no older than eight peers up at him.

"Are you an Angel?"

23915514288_d040e68d12_z.jpg

[brother Varius, I Squad (Primaris), 5th Co. 12 years Active Service]

"Are you an Angel?"

The boy's words echo through his head as he drags Castor through the dusty side streets of whatever unnamed :cusse hole they are in. A tyranid assassin creature had ambushed the two as they patrolled the perimeter. Castor had gone down screaming, both legs missing below the knee. A trail of blood follows him, painted by the wounds, whom refuse to seal properly. As he runs, fat drops of water begin to rain down, making it look as though his faceplate is weeping. Perhaps it is. He can't say for sure. 

He knows this: He is no Angel.

23915513448_cb43342b18_z.jpg

Varius peers down at the shivering boys in the crew bay of his squads Repulsor. The heavy cannons of the grav-tank rumble as the transport tears towards the evacuation, desperate to make the cutoff time. The tank is emptier than before the drop, with three of his brothers transported into orbit to recover from wounds sustained. He hopes they will all survive. His unit is one of the few that is still composed of the original pod members, and he regards them as his 'true' brothers. He looks to the children nestled protectively between his greaves. Their faces are dirty, but he can see they are doing their best to put on a brave face. Under his helm, he smiles. 

"Have no fear little ones. You will become Angels."

"Like you?"

He hesitates, Angels are not cast out by their brothers, are they? "I-yes. Like me"

37098440373_c33b4164b5_z.jpg

The perimeter is breached. The last few transports are leaving, though he fears he will not join them in the stars. His crouching body shields the children he has found, his armor pitted and bleeding. His bolt rifle is spent, and he feels like he cannot go another step, though he drags himself to the awaiting storm raven. One of his brothers awaits him. He looks at the gaggle of children Varius protects. 

"No room!"

Varius shakes his head, shoving the boys into the arms of the crew chief. Bio rounds have tainted his blood, and his head spins. But he kniws what he is doing is right. It is what the chapter expects. "We are born to serve. Never to rule, remember that." He has never forgotten, he will not forget. His Chapter may have exiled him, but he will not shame it, even here, a backwater planet in a system no one had ever heard of.

The Crew Chief continues to yell about space. Varius makes the decision for him, turning away. He loads one last magazine into the battered bolt rifle, and slumps against the nearest wall. 

"There's room enough now...Go."

@Dos: Tried that initially and it didn't work as well as I expected. I think these guys may just be parade ground pretty for now.  Thanks though!

Edited by Vazzy

Exile: The Reward

When the Primaris Strikeforce returned, they had expected a grand welcome, perhaps a feast in their honor. They had at least expected someone to greet them. They received no such welcome. There was no band, nor brothers in polished armor to greet them, no exultant war cry. Simply an empty hangar, save the lumbering servitors. It was a bitter taste to the newly blooded members of Strikeforce Theta, and many questioned why they had returned at all. 

"A heroes welcome indeed."

"Why have we been forsaken?"

"What have we done wrong?"

Every warrior, from newest initiate, to Voted Captain Mercator has these words on his lips. The Voted Captain, selected by his peers as the leader amongst them, joruneys with them through the ship to their quarters, waiting for something, some sign. For three days it does not come. For three days the Captain's messages are ignored. He is told the Chapter Master is busy with the ongoing campaign. Xertius of 5th visits on the 2nd day, congratulating them on their success. He invites them aboard his strike cruiser for a meal, and Mercator eagerly accepts. The two brothers speak long into the night on tactics, and the experiences in the past five years. The same happens throughout the vessel, and the Primaris hope that this means their integration back into the Chapter will happen soon. Perhaps the Chapter Master truly was busy, and assigning 60+ warriors throughout the chapter was a monumental effort. It is clear that Xertius expects the same, and has ordered his sergeants to properly coordinate training sessions with the new blood. 

On the third day, the Chapter Master and Xertius enter the training hall, accompanied by Honorum squad, recently returned from travels with the Lady Inquisitor. Because of this duty, they too missed Aftui, something of a blemish on their honor. Nevertheless., expectations are high as the Chapter Master smiles at them. 

"My Brothers," he says, the voice warm, "How it pleases me to see that you yet live. I have received a full report of your actions in the Haitu Sector. You have brought a great honor upon this Chapter, and I am proud to call you my kin! And such success deserves an equivalent reward of course! Initially, I had thought to simply fold you back into the the 5th," at this statement, a look of concern creased both Xertius and Mercators face," But I thought to myself, that surely won't do! So, instead, I have opted to elevate Ignatus Mercator to full Captain and give him command of a fleet element assigned to the Haitu Sector.  He shall command the full amount of our Priamris forces, along with Honorum Squad. Your initial deployment will see you off for close to three decades, so tomorrow we shall feast prior to your departure!"

He turns to Mercator, and offers the hilt of the decorated chainblade sitting on his hip. "In recognition of your feat of arms, I am also granting you 'Devourer', one of the Chapter's relics. It demonstrates my faith in you, and what you can do. Your journey will be perilous, and though you may not not return, I know you will do the chapter proud. "

Murmurs cut across the training deck as the Chapter Master marched away. Mercator follows after him, the rage he had longed to hide. His hand yanks on the departing warriors pauldron sharply, half turning the older man, despite his lack of armor. The Chapter Master turns, his terminator warplate causing him to match the height of Mercator. 

"My lord, what must we do to please you? You claim to honor us, but I see this assignment for what it truly is. You are exiling us to the void, and hope we die while we are there. I will not refuse this order. But I would like to know why you despise us so?"

The cagey veteran stares at him, his eyes flat. "You have honored the chapter. This is a reward. Honorum accompanies you, and you shall represent us well. That is all."

Mercator nods stiffly, and bows, excusing himself. 

"You dishonor them. You spit upon their achievements, all because of what they are. And Honorum too? What did they do?" 

"I thought you all people would understand Xertius."

"I do not."

"They remind me of a time that we will never reclaim. Before Aftui. Before the Fall. I do not hate them, I just can't stand to look at them, unmarked by what we've done to win this war."

37186417074_b4b9a9a847_z.jpg

[Captain Ignatus Mercator, Lord of Exile Company, King of the Krasnoc Stars]

37865422582_326e212a93_z.jpg

[Mercator was considered a promising candidate form implantation during the latter days of the Heresy, recruited out of Tallassar and promised to the Ultramarines company based out of the planet [129 Co. 'Hammers of Tallassar'] ]

37638982460_b3823ce79a_z.jpg

[Mercator wears artificed MK X armor as well as the relic 'Devourer'. He has become well known for his diplomacy, and levelheadedness during battle.]

Edited by Vazzy

• 3 weeks later...

+++Authorization Required+++

+Vermilion Level Clearance Required+

+++DATA FILE//ADEPTUSASTARTES//XIII.CXXIX.V+++

+++DATA CORRUPT??+++
+PICT INLOAD ONLY+

26527886089_bac2f14e6a_z.jpg

[brother Viren, Citrolia IV]

26527886269_16d8f7381b_z.jpg

[Voted Brother Sagentus, Citrolia IV]

26527886469_23d54b7354_z.jpg

[brother Sacramel, Citrolia IV]

26527886779_8b501f9a03_z.jpg

[brother Gariss, Citrolia IV]

Shout out to everyone who keeps reading! Looking for some advice on basing. As y'all have seen on my other models, I have the muddy kinda look. As the Primaris detachment has kinda become it's own army, I wanted to switch it up a bit, but wanted everyone opinion: 1) keep the same basing technique 2) Agrellan earth, for the dried earth look 3) Something totally different that you have in mind.

Leave a comment or shoot me a PM!

Edited by Vazzy

+++Authorization Required+++

+Vermilion Level Clearance Required+

+++DATA FILE//ADEPTUSASTARTES//XIII.CXXIX.V+++

+++DATA CORRUPT??+++
+PICT INLOAD ONLY+

38409839731_ca29c5c2dc_z.jpg

[Reiver Brother Eichen]

Plate Decking W/blasted I-beams . Or urban ruble .

Thanks DS7! If I hadn't already mounted them I may have considered it! For now looks like I may go Agrellan!

Agrellan Earth. The dry, cracked earth would be an appropriate metaphor for the state of their trust in their Chapter leaders and battle-brothers who exiled them.

Nice to see we're of the same mind Dos. That's what I was leaning, but appreciate the confirmation

Cool models and great fluff!  Can't wait to read more.

Thanks Aarik! Glad you like them!

The models and their backstories are well done. Why are they half-gray, half-red? I imagine the red symbolizes blood, and the courage one needs to shed it on the battlefield, but the gray? Ashes, from whatever dishonor they faced on "Aftui"?

Silver and Red have been the Chapters colors since inception. The meaning behind them will be explained a bit later :P. As for Aftui, its the Chapter's greatest blunder, costing them over 75% of the Chapter in one ambush due to bad intel (chaos :cussing with their oracle). Post Aftui, the Chapter did some questionable things to stay active. 

You did that model justice .:yes:

Thanks again DS7. I've been sitting on the reivers for ages now, as I wasn't sure how I wanted to paint them. I ended up going with what many of you suggested earlier and it came out well I think! 

• 2 weeks later...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lgMwLcYVvHI

"What happens to a dream deferred?

Does it dry up

like a raisin in the sun?

Perhaps it just sags

Like a heavy load..."

-L'huges, Hr'lum

This planet is a :censored: hole. The oppressive heat of the sun beats down upon our plate, scorching the ground beneath our feet. Vestio IV, once an ardent garden world, has been reduced to cracked earth, and ash wastes in the years since the Imperium arrived to reclaim it. We have been here four years. Upon arrival, We joined the Krieg 1156th in their siege of the planet, attempting to end the stalemate that has plagued this campaign since the Great Rift opened 15 years prior. We have failed. The taint of Chaos has festered deep within the bowels of the hive domes here, and the planet itself seems to abhor our presence. Imperial forces areon the backfoot, and almost all of the 6th company of our brotherhood has fallen. We are going to die here. We dreamed of conquering the stars. Guilliman promised us a glorious crusade. But our brothers have sent us to die, to disappear. Perhaps it is all we deserved.  I die on this world. This I know. 

The Repuslor wails as multiple missiles slam into the hovercraft, spilling it into the cracked earth. Squad Hypax scrambles out, bolt rifles returning fire as a horde of XVIIth legion cultists charge them. The Primaris advance forward, their weapons mowing down wave after wave of  advancing fanatics, whose burned skin is defaced with blasphemous marks and self mutilation. It is a one sided battle, though a mob of the rabble has managed to wound Brother Tolmy, who has began to use the cultists as weapons, using the leg of one to knock the head of another clean off. 

The horde is killed to a man, and the Primaris warriors return to their fallen transport, armor crumpled and blackened. They call for a Thunderhawk, and wait, repairing damaged armor as well as possible. Four years with minimal resupply has made replacing parts difficult, though the company does its best to maintain the polished look of a well supplied force. 

They are losing, and they know it. Captain Mercator estimates another six months before munitions reach a critical level, and with the last resupply vessel lost to the warp the year prior, the next shall not arrive for two more years. They are fighting on borrowed time, and they know it. 

37956653844_c7c6651e75_z.jpg

[squad Hypax- Deployment to Ash Wastes of Haradras]

37786780625_a0bb2d7e75_z.jpg

[ Vth Company quickly grew disillusioned with the situation they found themselves in. Constant attacks from cultists and the repeated loss of important munition drops and supply shortages led to an army that struggled to survive]

37956653584_2f007b55ee_z.jpg

[squad Hypax was on of Vth's three Intercessor units, deployed in support of the II Battalion, 1156th DKOK. Hypax did their best to aid the Krieg forces, but poor communication combined with fundamental tactical differences made cooperation difficult.]

37786779995_2cce3f0d88_z.jpg

[As such, Hypax continuously found themselves cut off from Imperial support, and often operated as a nomadic strike team, taking targets of opportunity as they found them.]

37956653324_aa6e1a5884_z.jpg

[Hypax would rise to prominence as they would be the first Primaris squad to be inducted into the Chapter's Hall of Honor following their stand at Kandahat]

37786779115_2ae832779b_z.jpg

[At Kandahat ridge, Squad Hypax, along with the rest of the Vth, held off over 40,000 heretic irregulars for over a month, allowing for the Indigan 337th and the Krieg 1156th to evacuate following the arrival of the Chaos reinforcements. It was here Hypax accounted for 1,500 enemy casualties, not losing a single member of the unit, though all took heavy damage that required months in the apothecarion.] 

Edited by Vazzy

The only bit of criticism I have is I think you should refrain from putting Agrellan Earth on the models' feet (looks a bit weird). I also suggest you add some sand-coloured weathering powder to the lower part of the models, just to tie them in with their environment. Otherwise, great job. :tu:

Impressive work on the models and their fictional history. The squad's bitterness is surprising, and makes me fear for their loyalty. Will your Primaris turn to Chaos, like so many who shared the feeling their "brothers have sent [them] to die, to disappear"?

Thanks Bjorn!

The potential is there of course, but probably not. This thread, while not having the strongest writer, does have a narrative it'll follow. 

The only bit of criticism I have is I think you should refrain from putting Agrellan Earth on the models' feet (looks a bit weird). I also suggest you add some sand-coloured weathering powder to the lower part of the models, just to tie them in with their environment. Otherwise, great job. :thumbsup:

Agreed, I tried it out, but I concur, it kinda looks bad. I need to figure out how to protects the models feet a bit better. Thanks for the compliment though! 

Production may dwindle for awhile, as law school finals start a week from today. I may get Mercator done prior to them starting but I'm not optimistic. Thanks to everyone who leaves likes and looks at my models! I hope y'all are having a great holiday!

• 4 weeks later...

INTERLUDE I: KILLTEAM

“This is the Adeptus Astartes vessel ‘Iron Sky’ of the Shattered Suns…Requesting any and all Imperial forces respond immediately. Space Hulk ‘Hubris of Livnstunn’ has entered Teclis system. First Company Strike force is unable to complete assault…Heavy Genestealer presence…This is the Adeptus Astartes Vessel ‘Iron Sky’.”

T
he man turned to the assembled warriors behind him, arms outstretched. “So. You know my chapter of origin, so I’m perhaps a bit biased, but I’m of a mind to respond.” Quiet chuckles sounded throughout the room, and he grinned, the sunburst tattooed across his face writhing with motion. “So we shall leave this up to a vote. I am for intervention.”

One of the men, bloated by augmetics, and half his face hidden by a bulky rebreather unit let out a blurt of angry static, his one eye, a cold steel. The vox worked into the rebreather droned in a montone buzz:

+++WE ALREADY HAVE ORDERS; KILLTEAM VESTUS IS TO REPORT TO WATCH FORTRESS MAGOG CAPTAIN CAMBRIUS+++

He clenches his mechanical fist, the augmetic whirring quietly as another burst of binary spattered out.

+++NAY+++

Another of them spoke out, his once beautiful face disfigured by an ugly knot of scar tissue that split his face in twain, and his voice tinted with a barely contained rage. His distinctive canines dimpled his lips as he spoke,

“My iron brother raises a valid point. However, I thirst for another fight, and the Hulk is indeed on our way. Aiding the Shattered Suns fits the parameters of our mission. I say we respond.”

The next brother wore a tunic decorated with two ebony axes, with the name Skaran embroidered upon it, and  a shock of pale hair decorating his scalp. His accent was thick, like the accents of a person from Valhalla.

“I am of agreement with Drogrian. We have no reason not to intercede.”

Two others, Haras, his pale skin glowing in the shadows of the strategium, and Nestor, his cowl obscuring much of his face, both grunted in assent. Sergeant Vestus also nodded, though his vote was tainted by the familial relations between the two chapters.

Gawain, his massive broadsword laid across his thighs, simply growled, “Purge the Xenos.” The Black Templar rarely spoke, though his devotion to the Imperium was never in doubt.

Cambrius nodded, “The other three will be allowed to voice their opinions in the next day. For now though, we are mostly in accord.”

39278092021_9740080d86_z.jpg

[Watch Captain Qentin Cambrius- Shattered Suns]

38401214545_830f55702a_z.jpg

[sergeant Anton Baraca- Novamarines]

38570698924_5a4f5aa68e_z.jpg

[Axe-Brother Skaran- Executioners]

27502208809_a6847c0919_z.jpg

27502212049_cfd59f4252_z.jpg

39278088791_03b03fa71d_z.jpg

[initiate Gawain- Black Templars]

38401217415_e16f070145_z.jpg

[Apothecary Nestor- Dark Angels]

38401211205_4825060ce6_z.jpg

27502204799_f27658646b_z.jpg

[brother Drogrian- Flesh Tearers]

25411173828_373762c149_z.jpg

[brother Haras- Raptors]

Also, I have 3 spots available on the first Kill team! So it'll be first come first serve, but priority to lesser known chapter will be considered! Also, honest question, would y'all rather see the interlude have its own thread? I may not do it, but I'd love some feedback. As always, thank y'all so much for looking and leaving feedback! Here's the slots!

Heavy Weapon Specialist: OPEN

Tactical Marine: OPEN

Tactical Marine: OPEN