Collecting skulls - Another take on the Night Lords.

Pirog

Hey what's up! Long time lurker getting back to the hobby.
I want to begin by sorting out the title of this plog. Due to the fact that I am a very new fan of the Night Lords, I have no idea of what company to focus on - I just started reading the omnibus.
And to be honest - I hate most of what I see of the Night Lords. Not the paint jobs, not the artwork, but rather their design. They look like some bad guys from a Cartoon Network series, like something He-Man would've fought.
I however love the artwork from the trilogy by Dembski-Bowden.
My goal, then, will be to tune down the cartoony feel with batwings everywhere and try to make them a bit more dark and gritty. I'll probably totally cover them in trophies tho as I am a believer of more is more.

So, why the Night Lords when I know almost nothing of their past? Well, I know enough. Not enough to answer a single quiz but enough to get me hooked.
I've always loved Chaos. I've never found The legion for me tho. I'm not very fond of the design of most of the demonic stuff (except for going full out Nurgle, that's badass and something I'd like to do in the future) I'm more in to the psychological terror and fear caused by chaos and the warp so what better legion than Night Lords?

I am sorry not to able to give you any WIP's just yet but let me tell you little bit of what's coming.

I've started out by turning my wallet inside out, ordering a bunch of greenstuff, hobby tools, bits and a few boxes of raptors/warp talons.
I've sorted out my bits box picking out the appropriate accessories for my Night Lords.

I will base all the marines on the chest and legs of the raptors and warp talons. I wish the rumours for a new Chaos Space Marines box was true, but until we actually see it, I feel that the raptors give me a chance to make dynamic poses and also I love the foot claws - a perfect fit for a menacing Night Lord.

I have yet to make a test paint job but this is what I'm planning for the scheme:
As mentioned I want to tone down the cartoony feel of the Night Lords, giving them a darker paint job without the stupid lightning bolts (which looks awesome in the artwork but I feel they are yet to be made convincing on actual models).
I will do the above by imitating a black and turquoise marble effect, toning down the gold trims and keeping them to just the shoulder pads except for maybe a few lords with especially ornamental armour.

I think it's about time to end this wall of text, but if you have any questions, inspirational tips or otherwise, just comment below!

I've always felt the lack of an actual chaos sniper bugging me and especially for a legion like the Night Lords. This is why my army will incorporate and the first thing you will see from me in the coming weeks, is something as unorthodox as a chaos Vindicare Assassin.

Stay tuned.

Always glad to see another prospective 8th legion kid get started! thumbsup.gif

We've got the one of the largest (and obviously awesome-est) communities on the BnC. Come say hi when you get the chance!

Plenty of great guys hanging out, chatting midnight clad. Should be right up your alley if you're looking for 8th legion inspiration ^_^

http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/285762-the-murderers-call/

Thanks a lot for the tips brothers!
My inbox has been spammed of all the "your order is dispatched"-mails from Ebay during the last couple of days.
Looking forward to all the goodies and hopefully I'll give you a glimpse of what I'll be doing shortly.

Very exciting topic, cant wait to see you start building.

I do like most of the Night Lords around here, but i respect seeing what other people do and wanting to go your own way. Thats how I do with my minotaurs.

So when can we expect some marines in here?

The delivery of all my stuff will hopefully start to drop in this week already. With a little bit of bad luck, maybe next week... And with even more of Murphy's Law - never. ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Wayland Games is as usual extremely slow with their delivery. It's unfortunate as my local shops can't compete with their pricing. However, I have yet to wait less than almost a month for my stuff to arrive. So, we'll see what happens.

I started kit bashing tho as among all the orders I put down, many were through Ebay for different bits and pieces.

Here is a short tease of what I'm putting together for my jump pack lightning claw/power fist lord.

http://i1048.photobucket.com/albums/s375/JDemi/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zps3f8ebe98.jpg

EDIT: And yes, I renamed my the topic. :P

Excellent start on a lord. 

Those bits from the WoC range and the DV marine look awesome together. They both have a very fitting, baroque look to them that complement each other perfectly.

Can't wait to see him finished!

• 4 weeks later...

EDIT: I edited to erase the evidence of low quality pictures messed up by myself and Photobucket. Please continue to next post.

Sorry for being idle.
I've started, at last. However, I just now felt the urgent need to build myself a proper photo box.

So, I didn't go for my first idea with the black marble armours.

After putting together a few miniatures and sketching on the theme of my Night Lords I figured I'd go for a more toned down stealthy look to them, skipping the golden trims entirely and going for a toned down dark blueish color - also without the cartoony looking lightning bolts that I'm not very fond of.
The result, after a few failed trial and errors is finally something I'm happy with.

I will however mix those stealthy Night Lords up with a few ghostly pieces here and there (Yes, I have a Nagash-conversion coming msn-wink.gif ).

Well then...
Now I believe I had the chance to take a photo that do them at least a little more justice.

Enjoy!

The right guy is done, just need basing. (He actually is just a regular marine. All my marines will use those awesome dynamic Warp Talon legs).

The lord on the left will be a sorcerer lord. He is of course WIP as you can see. I also know his face is a bit messy - I was stupid enough to test out a few paint schemes (and he could only handle so many) on my LORD!? Duh!? And I can't bother stripping him - whatever.
He will accompany a group of Warp Talons (apparently they suck, but I like the look of them). If you noticed his right lightning claw is painted using the GW Nagash Tutorial paint scheme they did for the spirits. That is actually something I will use here and there, tying my army together. It will be used for some ghostly spirits accompanying my Night Lords, powered up Lightning Claws and also I plan to paint my Warp Talons in varying amounts of that spirit scheme, mimicking them using The Warp as some kind of camouflage, jumping in and out of reality as they go.

http://i1048.photobucket.com/albums/s375/JDemi/NL2_zps34ce8259.jpg

I will keep enhancing my photography abilities to provide you with an even better look of what I'm working on.
Stay tuned and thanks for watching!

Oh wow, that blue-black armor color is *gorgeous!*

Can we get a few extra shots from different angles? I wanna see that huge wingy shoulderpad on your lightning claw lord :D

Thanks! :)

Absolutely, I'll have it up within a few days, got a lot to do this weekend!
It's actually very simple - The lord's original shoulder pad with the wings from a Forge World Night Lords helmet added to it.

Archived