what's the best contents for a stormraven?

Brother_Ead

It depends on what you want to bring on the table.

Either you go for cheap reinforcements in order to capture a zone with a tactical or scout squad, either you go with a hammer unit that you want to throw wherever on the battlefield and change the game.

I'm planning to run a cheap Stormraven with a 5 Man Terminator squad, the goal being to distract firepower way from the rest of the army and drop them wherever is need to relieve my force.

While the Land Raider is a battering ram to throw your most valued units in the fray and protect them all the while, the Raven is the way to give more punch and mobility to your reserves, and to units you would have reserved anyways.

Think about the Raven and it's contents as an insurance policy in case your battle plan fails, and wonder what you want to be insured against. In my case, I want to be insured against the fact that my very close range oriented army sees it's assaults stopped and I need extra manpower to distract the ennemies and replace casualties.

I have two units I run in mine: Grav centurions or assault terminators.

Assault terminators if I'm running a Strike Force, because I have to to get first turn reserves, or Grav Cents just about any other time. Since I can put the Centurions and ven dread in the stormraven it saves me 70+ points of drop pod, which somewhat offsets the cost.

^I go with what Blade suggests. It is still the fastest / safest transport for expensive units like Grav and A-TDAs.

But then again my Transport (and for that matter Deep Strike) luck has been quite exceptional.

I run a CM so I throw Honor Guard in mine.  4 w/ one champ 2 swords, 2 mauls.  Thats 17 PW attacks on the charge w/ 2+ save.  For 110 pts!  I also have a techmarine in it as well cause I play Iron Hands, and I'm a jerk.  That repairs the raven on 3+ and drops 3 PF attacks on the charge w/ 2+.  That puts the price towards a unit of termies, but the repairing makes it worth it. 

I second the "nothing" suggestion.   I have used it to drop units the turn it arrives, as interceptor units can't force a crash and burn on the first turn if you hot drop.   But that does require a deep strike roll which is dicey on its own.   Mainly I like nothing at all and keep it stripped (no hurricanes).    It usually makes its points back.

• Nothing.

That's an interesting take in the Raven and I'm planning to run one consistently as my main anti-air for 1500+ points games, however I have no special units to deliver save for a Dread at 1850 points.

What was the loadout of your empty Stormraven ? I was thinking about a MM, TLAC and the missiles if taken primarily as anti-air and doubling up as a ground fire support versus the tougher targets/vehiclesvehicles I might encounter.

• Nothing.

That's an interesting take in the Raven and I'm planning to run one consistently as my main anti-air for 1500+ points games, however I have no special units to deliver save for a Dread at 1850 points.

What was the loadout of your empty Stormraven ? I was thinking about a MM, TLAC and the missiles if taken primarily as anti-air and doubling up as a ground fire support versus the tougher targets/vehiclesvehicles I might encounter.

I'm trying to remember... it's been a while since the last time I rocked that particular stormraven...

So, IIRC, like you, I have always tended to lean towards the highest Strength guns possible on my stormraven: multimelta and twin-linked lascannons. The missiles aren't optional, and they make great weapons against all sorts of targets, but I do usually end up unloading a ton of them at enemy flyers when the opportunity presents itself.

I seem to recall someone saying at some point that assault cannons and typhoon launchers are actually superior against flyers - something about more shots, even if they aren't as high quality.

TBH, I've never been that impressed with the stormraven. That's not fair - at first I thought it was awesome, but I've gradually decided that it's only "ok," and while I'll always have a use for it, I'm really looking forward to the Blood Angels getting some other flyer and/or some other kind of anti-air, so I'm not stuck with it. Personally, I'm looking forward to trying out the storm eagle when mine arrives (well, when it arrives, and I get it stripped and rebuilt and repainted!). It suffers from kind of underwhelming armaments and mediocre carrying capacity for an assault transport - though the dreadnought hook is alright. I think that the storm eagle will be a lot cooler.

I see, thanks for the insights ! I think I'll run mine as a main source of anti-air at 1500 points with the Multi Melta and the Assault Cannon turret, and no more upgrades, and for 1850 points, it'll serve as a Dreadnought ferry with the same armament.

• 2 weeks later...

For armament I will definitely say the MM.   I tried mine for a while using the typhoon launcher and lascannons, and it works well as a big typhoon speeder, but I have had more success using it with the MM and TLAC lately.   Mainly as the MM is the best weapon it has againsts anything high AV, and the assault cannon is just generally good against everything.  

• 1 month later...

I'm having a hard time deciding how to employ my stormraven. I've run it full and I've run it empty, and I can't decide how I like it better. Full it brings my Jarl (Wolf Lord) and his bodyguard, plus a shooty dread. Both ways it's part of my Storm Wing, so its got two stormtalons in tow. Now, if I bring it in empty, would I get more utility out of it by equipping sponsons?

Archived